Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1356390 times)

stevedaveKSU and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #15875 on: September 21, 2023, 01:02:23 PM »
The only knock on global entry is that it's too fast skipping customs and you just end up swapping waiting in line for waiting longer at baggage claim.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15876 on: September 21, 2023, 01:18:33 PM »
The only knock on global entry is that it's too fast skipping customs and you just end up swapping waiting in line for waiting longer at baggage claim.

I distinctly remember flying on an A380 into SFO and I waited on my bags forever and because the plane was so big and the non-GE's were still in customs the carousel couldn't hold any more bags and some hardshell bags got smashed

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15877 on: September 21, 2023, 01:55:06 PM »
if rick steves can go to europe without a checked bag so can i

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15878 on: September 21, 2023, 01:59:57 PM »
if rick steves can go to europe without a checked bag so can i
I was in Belgium and filled my suitcase with beer

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #15879 on: September 21, 2023, 02:33:30 PM »
I went 10 nights in london and paris in november with mrs. dave and I just having carry ons. I think we actually did the same in edinburgh and london same time of year. checked baggage is a massive pita international.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15880 on: September 21, 2023, 02:36:21 PM »
I went 10 nights in london and paris in november with mrs. dave and I just having carry ons. I think we actually did the same in edinburgh and london same time of year. checked baggage is a massive pita international.

Was this a joint agreement or did you have to pressure to pack that small. That's not happening for me ever and there is really no further discussion about it nor something I'm willing to die on a hill for.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15881 on: September 21, 2023, 02:37:45 PM »
Speaking of luggage is this where we talk luggage and I brag on me getting not only the sexy matte lavender Away bag before it went extinct but also the new glossy Away carryon (also now extinct) that had it's maidan voyage to Vegas this past weekend?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15882 on: September 21, 2023, 02:39:01 PM »

Was this a joint agreement or did you have to pressure to pack that small. That's not happening for me ever and there is really no further discussion about it nor something I'm willing to die on a hill for.
I said we should do it and she said sounds good. I’m not married to you so you can do whatever you want dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15883 on: September 21, 2023, 02:58:09 PM »
I did Philippines/Japan with a carry-on.  The goal was to make it through the Japan leg and then pay like $5 in the Philippines to have everything washed and folded.  Jokes on them, I totally would've paid $6 or $7.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15884 on: September 21, 2023, 03:35:49 PM »

I said we should do it and she said sounds good. I’m not married to you so you can do whatever you want dude.

I was meaning my travel partner would never allow for this. I'm jealous.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15885 on: September 21, 2023, 03:40:57 PM »
After my wife tried it once, she got on board with it for future trips.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15886 on: September 21, 2023, 04:24:15 PM »
i don't understand what people find to be a pita about checking luggage.  personally, i prefer not having to carry my luggage through airports or pass it through security.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15887 on: September 21, 2023, 04:29:52 PM »
you can get away with a pretty enormous duffel as a carryon, and with backpack straps it's pretty great because both hands are free

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15888 on: September 21, 2023, 04:49:31 PM »
i don't understand what people find to be a pita about checking luggage.  personally, i prefer not having to carry my luggage through airports or pass it through security.

It's two things for me.  First is I have control over my baggage, they can't lose what I have possession of. Second is the wait time post flight to collect the checked bag, it can sometimes take up to 30 minutes just on domestic flights.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #15889 on: September 21, 2023, 04:54:54 PM »

It's two things for me.  First is I have control over my baggage, they can't lose what I have possession of. Second is the wait time post flight to collect the checked bag, it can sometimes take up to 30 minutes just on domestic flights.

Have you considered just flying private? You would have control over your baggage and also bring all the crap you want on the plane.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15890 on: September 21, 2023, 06:41:25 PM »

I was meaning my travel partner would never allow for this. I'm jealous.

:lol:
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15891 on: September 21, 2023, 09:18:28 PM »

yeah, this makes sense LMAO

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15892 on: September 22, 2023, 12:16:48 AM »

Same, my friend, same. I only carry on a backpack for things that I don't want stolen by TSA.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15893 on: September 22, 2023, 02:13:24 AM »
I've always been a "carry on only" guy. Until the wife and I did a NOLA trip with a 3.5 hour layover in Atlanta. Since she was checking a bag I figured I try it out for old times sake and holy crap, walking around Hartsfield Jackson without a bag to carry/monitor was orgasmic. That being said, I will only check a bag if someone I'm traveling with is also checking a bag.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15894 on: September 22, 2023, 08:24:51 AM »

Props to new KCI baggage system. I've never been able to get to baggage claim before my flight is already unloading.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15895 on: September 22, 2023, 09:45:54 AM »

Props to new KCI baggage system. I've never been able to get to baggage claim before my flight is already unloading.

Probably because they make you walk 500 miles, stopping occasionally to vomit at the sight of the skid marks, to get there.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #15896 on: September 25, 2023, 09:10:22 AM »
Back from Austin and then New York. I'm not sure if i'm late on this, but..Austin kind of sucked. There were a few places we enjoyed, but for the most part we didn't care much for Austin at all. The Moody Center was a pretty nice venue though and PJ ruled as always. NY was awesome. Kids first time there so I was nervous it would go bad since every other time i'm there I just wander around and hit bars and restaurants. They did awesome. Lil SF was a boss after the first day and he figured crap out. He kept asking me to bring headphones so he could wear them on the subway because that is what everyone else on there did. It was adorable.

Jinxing myself here, but the other best part was back to back trips from KC to Austin then KC to NY with one day in between and only 1 small flight delay even with some storms around. I'm going get my balls punched in next trip.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15897 on: September 25, 2023, 09:22:07 AM »

Probably because they make you walk 500 miles, stopping occasionally to vomit at the sight of the skid marks, to get there.

:lol:
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15898 on: September 25, 2023, 10:27:06 AM »
Back from Austin and then New York. I'm not sure if i'm late on this, but..Austin kind of sucked. There were a few places we enjoyed, but for the most part we didn't care much for Austin at all. The Moody Center was a pretty nice venue though and PJ ruled as always. NY was awesome. Kids first time there so I was nervous it would go bad since every other time i'm there I just wander around and hit bars and restaurants. They did awesome. Lil SF was a boss after the first day and he figured crap out. He kept asking me to bring headphones so he could wear them on the subway because that is what everyone else on there did. It was adorable.

Jinxing myself here, but the other best part was back to back trips from KC to Austin then KC to NY with one day in between and only 1 small flight delay even with some storms around. I'm going get my balls punched in next trip.

how old and what did you do in NYC? I like ideas for kid visitors.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #15899 on: September 25, 2023, 10:43:04 AM »

how old and what did you do in NYC? I like ideas for kid visitors.

10/11. We tried to do a mix of the touristy stuff and just regular go to a new place and explore. We stayed just east and a few blocks off of Times Square on 39th so it was a good location for exploring and people watching. We were only there for 3 days so it wasn't a ton. Yankee game, Broadway, Natural History Museum, Bday lunch at Serendipity, Dinner at Mermaid Inn, and then just mixed in several different areas to explore. They loved figuring out the subway and how to get to places. That was pretty fun to just watch them navigate and learn that the people there aren't on vacation and will run you the eff over if you are in the way. I walked them through Times Square at like 9pm the first night and one of them was pretty freaked. I asked if she would like to see this many people in Prairie Village on a Thursday night at 9pm and she said no way! One dumb thing we did that has me thinking of getting in the slime business was the Slime Museum in Soho(I think). I was pissed about paying for it, but they loved it. Its way too expensive, but they loved the crap out of it and it killed a couple of hours including the train there and me getting to have a beer in a new spot near there.  :driving: