Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1356504 times)

mocat and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #15800 on: September 14, 2023, 08:51:51 AM »
I've been bumming around the Colorado mountain towns for the last 4 days, thinking about abandoning my family and just doing it full time.
If you had to pick one Colorado mountain town for a permanent residence, which one would you choose?

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15801 on: September 14, 2023, 10:09:52 AM »
I've been bumming around the Colorado mountain towns for the last 4 days, thinking about abandoning my family and just doing it full time.
If you had to pick one Colorado mountain town for a permanent residence, which one would you choose?

If it were me I would do Buena Vista/Salida area.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15802 on: September 14, 2023, 12:51:09 PM »

There is a lot to like about that location. Pretty much limitless outdoor activities.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15803 on: September 14, 2023, 02:58:10 PM »

Hell yeah

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15804 on: September 14, 2023, 03:13:18 PM »
I just boarded a southwest bird with a manual ramp at HDN to fly 23 minutes to Denver.  What a time to be alive.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15805 on: September 14, 2023, 03:18:54 PM »
If money is no object, I'd choose the Durango/Silverton area.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15806 on: September 14, 2023, 03:45:48 PM »
I don't want to dox myself with my actual answer, but do ski towns count? If so, I choose Telluride. There's a place that does Detroit-style pizza that I reflect on often.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #15807 on: September 14, 2023, 03:49:14 PM »
Any Austin pro tips? Going to be spending a few days there this weekend and I've never been.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15808 on: September 14, 2023, 03:54:00 PM »
Any Austin pro tips? Going to be spending a few days there this weekend and I've never been.

What are you interested in doing?

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #15809 on: September 14, 2023, 03:56:12 PM »

Mostly drinking and eating. I've learned that Rainey street is where the olds hang out, but my hotel is closer to West Campus.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15810 on: September 14, 2023, 04:04:18 PM »
I don't want to dox myself with my actual answer, but do ski towns count? If so, I choose Telluride. There's a place that does Detroit-style pizza that I reflect on often.

I had you pegged for the 'boat but vail and telluride would have been in the top 3.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15811 on: September 14, 2023, 04:12:45 PM »

Mostly drinking and eating. I've learned that Rainey street is where the olds hang out, but my hotel is closer to West Campus.

Rainey Street was cool like 10+ years ago. If you were into nature stuff, I was going to recommend hiking down to Bench Falls in the Greenbelt. Pretty cool feature to have in the middle of a major city. There, you will find a bunch of flower children (adults) hanging out with their dogs, swimming in the pool below the waterfall, chillin' in hammocks, smokin' doobies, drinkin' booze, and listenin' to tunes.

I haven't lived there in 5 years, but West Campus is obviously student-oriented. I'm sure some places didn't survive the pandemic. In terms of student-oriented bars in that area, I always liked Crown & Anchor Pub, Posse East, and Spiderhouse. All 3 serve food, but it's bar food. There is (or maybe was?) a great NY-style deli around 40th and Guadalupe called New World Deli (also serves beer). I miss that place.

Austin has a plethora of fine dining spots, but are you looking for something more casual? What's your flavor?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15812 on: September 14, 2023, 04:14:09 PM »

I had you pegged for the 'boat but vail and telluride would have been in the top 3.

No on Steamboat or Vail. Like our dearly departed friend, my second would have been Breckenridge. Or maybe not. I don't want to think too hard about it.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15813 on: September 14, 2023, 04:16:04 PM »

There are better mountain towns in Colorado but I did Grand Lake this summer and had a good time.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 04:26:21 PM by bucket »

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #15814 on: September 14, 2023, 04:40:30 PM »

Rainey Street was cool like 10+ years ago. If you were into nature stuff, I was going to recommend hiking down to Bench Falls in the Greenbelt. Pretty cool feature to have in the middle of a major city. There, you will find a bunch of flower children (adults) hanging out with their dogs, swimming in the pool below the waterfall, chillin' in hammocks, smokin' doobies, drinkin' booze, and listenin' to tunes.

I haven't lived there in 5 years, but West Campus is obviously student-oriented. I'm sure some places didn't survive the pandemic. In terms of student-oriented bars in that area, I always liked Crown & Anchor Pub, Posse East, and Spiderhouse. All 3 serve food, but it's bar food. There is (or maybe was?) a great NY-style deli around 40th and Guadalupe called New World Deli (also serves beer). I miss that place.

Austin has a plethora of fine dining spots, but are you looking for something more casual? What's your flavor?

I'm not a fancy person like you so just some good breweries, brew pubs, etc. Going for a concert so it will be a casual weekend just hanging out and wandering in to new places. I'd take a destination spot if there is something worth it, but I'm prob more looking for an area to get dropped off and roam in and out of places.

Thanks Friend

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15815 on: September 14, 2023, 04:56:31 PM »
Rainey street might be your jam, then. No breweries (as far as I know), but tons of bars and restaurants. There is (was?) a craft beer garden on the south end that serves a lot of local beers. In terms of breweries in Austin, they tend to be pretty far flung and not close to other attractions. Sounds like you've got the music thing covered, so I won't give you recs on that.

The other concentrations of food/booze/entertainment would be E. 6th street ("Dirty Sixth," sloppy college kids; don't recommend), W. 6th (slightly older, douchier crowd; feels like Dallas), S. Congress ("SoCo," hip/trendy), S. Lamar ("SoLa," mix of good restaurants, bars, and music, but kinda spread out), and the Domain (a sprawling outdoor complex of stores, restaurants, bars, and other stuff like Top Golf).

If you really want a destination spot, Jester King brewery is SW of town. Maybe a 45 minute drive. But worth it.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15816 on: September 14, 2023, 05:04:52 PM »
Is home slice on Congress still a thing?  I think I had a few slices and a lone star like a decade ago.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15817 on: September 14, 2023, 05:12:07 PM »
Is home slice on Congress still a thing?  I think I had a few slices and a lone star like a decade ago.

I assume so. That place is an institution.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #15818 on: September 14, 2023, 05:23:57 PM »
Rainey street might be your jam, then. No breweries (as far as I know), but tons of bars and restaurants. There is (was?) a craft beer garden on the south end that serves a lot of local beers. In terms of breweries in Austin, they tend to be pretty far flung and not close to other attractions. Sounds like you've got the music thing covered, so I won't give you recs on that.

The other concentrations of food/booze/entertainment would be E. 6th street ("Dirty Sixth," sloppy college kids; don't recommend), W. 6th (slightly older, douchier crowd; feels like Dallas), S. Congress ("SoCo," hip/trendy), S. Lamar ("SoLa," mix of good restaurants, bars, and music, but kinda spread out), and the Domain (a sprawling outdoor complex of stores, restaurants, bars, and other stuff like Top Golf).

If you really want a destination spot, Jester King brewery is SW of town. Maybe a 45 minute drive. But worth it.

This is great, thank you. Others have recommended Jester King. May have to do that. I've got nothing planned really at all other than the show Monday night so if there is a place for music you recommend, i'd take that too.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15819 on: September 14, 2023, 05:26:32 PM »
The Continental Club on South Congress and the Saxon Pub on South Lamar always have good shows, nightly.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #15820 on: September 14, 2023, 08:09:40 PM »
Colorado Mountain towns? What is this the 90's/00's?!?

All the cool kids have migrated up to Wyoming (Encampment/Saratoga) but you have to remember to mention you are from Kansas. If they find out you are there from Colorado they will CUT you just enough so you don't die and tell you spread the word that Coloradan's are not welcome there.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15821 on: September 14, 2023, 08:12:54 PM »
Colorado Mountain towns? What is this the 90's/00's?!?

All the cool kids have migrated up to Wyoming (Encampment/Saratoga) but you have to remember to mention you are from Kansas. If they find out you are there from Colorado they will CUT you just enough so you don't die and tell you spread the word that Coloradan's are not welcome there.

I have totes never been to wyoming so if someone is angry at me for giving away all the sweet sweet mountain towns you can blame wackycat who told me all about those two towns.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15822 on: September 14, 2023, 08:21:28 PM »
Wyoming is ass, just spent time there.  Idaho > Wyoming by a pretty wide margin.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15823 on: September 14, 2023, 08:24:31 PM »
Wyoming is ass, just spent time there.  Idaho > Wyoming by a pretty wide margin.

I 100% agree with you, no one should ever go to southeast Wyoming which is exactly the same as Colorado but totally not as cool. You should definitely go to the snake river valley and leave WY for the poors.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #15824 on: September 14, 2023, 08:30:22 PM »

I 100% agree with you, no one should ever go to southeast Wyoming which is exactly the same as Colorado but totally not as cool. You should definitely go to the snake river valley and leave WY for the poors.
One of my moms two houses is still in WY you son of a bitch! You’re right tho WY sucks ass to actually live there.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f