Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1357039 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #15000 on: July 25, 2022, 09:18:10 AM »
That sucks about the MAGAs. Glad you all enjoyed it!

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15001 on: July 25, 2022, 10:35:55 AM »
Legged out about 40 miles 3 days in New York.  By far my favorite activity there is just walking around the neighborhoods between meals/drinks.  Actually finally got to see a Broadway show and the Met to satisfy being a tourist.  Also went to the skyscraper museum and that maybe the worst attraction for a cool topic I've never experienced.  Wow.

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15002 on: July 25, 2022, 10:36:58 AM »
Nob Hill is great but like union square it borders the Tenderloin which has always been a wild place if you go down the wrong block. I'm guessing Union Square hasn't really changed much since the last time you visited either.

And Golden Gate Park is not better than Central Park lmao

Yeah I remember getting into the Tenderloin by like half a block last time, and turned right around.  I am thinking we will stay in the SOMA area so we are on the opposite end away from Tenderloin and can still walk through Union Station, or hop on the trolley easily.
Well, soma can be a bit dodgy or bland depending on where you are. I'd do Nob Hill

:thumbs:

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #15003 on: July 25, 2022, 10:42:04 AM »
Legged out about 40 miles 3 days in New York.  By far my favorite activity there is just walking around the neighborhoods between meals/drinks.  Actually finally got to see a Broadway show and the Met to satisfy being a tourist.  Also went to the skyscraper museum and that maybe the worst attraction for a cool topic I've never experienced.  Wow.

This is always my fav NY activity as well. Just hopping out in a random part and wandering. So many great bars and places tucked in everywhere.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15004 on: July 27, 2022, 09:27:44 AM »
Heading to Breckenridge for a board meeting today.  Really looking forward to the cool temps.
@mikec2w

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15005 on: August 12, 2022, 09:06:16 AM »
rick, idk

https://twitter.com/RickSteves/status/1530306961203265536?t=9zeDGykadb7axPKWWwjbsg&s=19

First reaction was that I mostly think of him as a nerdy guy (pot smoking notwithstanding) and no beard is a better fit for that.

New crap has come to light.

https://twitter.com/RickSteves/status/1557934242369118209

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15006 on: August 12, 2022, 09:28:00 AM »
I like him a lot. Because I’m old AF now? Maybe, maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15007 on: August 12, 2022, 09:29:59 AM »

maybe. He's also just a nice positive dude doing what he loves!

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15009 on: August 12, 2022, 09:47:49 AM »
When I grow up I want to be an equal mix of Rick Steves and Anthony Bourdain (except the killing myself part)

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15010 on: August 12, 2022, 10:09:14 AM »

maybe. He's also just a nice positive dude doing what he loves!
Not ashamed to admit that I love watching Rick Steves while I get buzzed on the couch. So peaceful and relaxing. There's another series out there called "Great Continental Railway Journeys" that I like just as much. I think most of the eps are 10+ years old but the scenery is stunning and the host is a real treat, also.

Offline fatdamon

• Combo-Fan
  • back farts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15011 on: August 17, 2022, 12:15:04 PM »
just spent the last 5 days in oaxaca and it was f’n rad.  Prolly my favorite place I’ve been.
YAY FOOTBALL

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15012 on: August 17, 2022, 12:16:43 PM »
just spent the last 5 days in oaxaca and it was f’n rad.  Prolly my favorite place I’ve been.

i watched an episode of something (i think it was Somebody Feed Phil) there recently and it looked incredible

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #15013 on: August 17, 2022, 12:56:08 PM »
anyone use a travel agent anymore? I know it seems stupid, but i'm terrible at finding stuff and hate the whole process of it. Mrs SF is the same but times 1000. She would rather not go anywhere than try and book a trip. I'd just like to go to someone and say, "I want to go here and this is the stuff I like to do". Then I'll just pick from there. Is this exactly what a travel agent does? Do they even exist anymore? I have no idea.

Offline fatdamon

• Combo-Fan
  • back farts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15014 on: August 17, 2022, 12:59:29 PM »

i watched an episode of something (i think it was Somebody Feed Phil) there recently and it looked incredible

It is.  Unbeatable scenery, street dogs that walk you home from the bar to make sure you find your house, incredibly safe, and the food....hamma hamma
YAY FOOTBALL

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15015 on: August 17, 2022, 01:03:17 PM »
Mrs SSOC has a meeting in Jacksonville this winter. Should we take the whole fam? Is Jacksonville a good place to go with kids? Are there relaxing beaches there?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #15016 on: August 17, 2022, 01:21:06 PM »
anyone use a travel agent anymore? I know it seems stupid, but i'm terrible at finding stuff and hate the whole process of it. Mrs SF is the same but times 1000. She would rather not go anywhere than try and book a trip. I'd just like to go to someone and say, "I want to go here and this is the stuff I like to do". Then I'll just pick from there. Is this exactly what a travel agent does? Do they even exist anymore? I have no idea.

I did use one for a trip to Mexico recently. 10/10 would recommend.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #15017 on: August 17, 2022, 01:22:30 PM »

I did use one for a trip to Mexico recently. 10/10 would recommend.

Also on this trip I tested positive for covid and they handled everything with the airline and hotel and that was great. Entire trip was cheaper than booking myself.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15018 on: August 17, 2022, 01:29:15 PM »
Mrs SSOC has a meeting in Jacksonville this winter. Should we take the whole fam? Is Jacksonville a good place to go with kids? Are there relaxing beaches there?

I did a day of research on jax as just a random place to visit and passed. I didn't research the kid angle.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15019 on: August 17, 2022, 01:37:33 PM »
Jacksonville as a tourist destination is lmao. Also Tampa.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15020 on: August 17, 2022, 01:52:21 PM »
Amelia Island to the north is supposed to have terrific beaches.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15021 on: August 17, 2022, 02:19:37 PM »
I would not waste your kids' time by taking them to Jacksonville unless you're planning to drive to Orlando.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15022 on: August 17, 2022, 02:22:23 PM »
I would not waste your kids' time by taking them to Jacksonville unless you're planning to drive to St Augustine

When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15023 on: August 17, 2022, 02:36:44 PM »
I would not waste your kids' time by taking them to Jacksonville unless you're planning to drive to Orlando.
Okay. Good to know. I don't really want to do a lot of driving in Florida so if there aren't a lot of kid activities, maybe we will go ski again. Exposing my brain to sun in the winter is good for my mental health.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #15024 on: August 17, 2022, 03:06:36 PM »

Use gE.