Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1356316 times)

DQ12 and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #14800 on: June 09, 2022, 05:24:03 PM »
i will be in playa del carmen next week, p jazzed

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #14801 on: June 10, 2022, 03:45:27 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/10/politics/us-to-end-pre-departure-testing-requirement/index.html

Ending negative covid test to enter the US via commercial airline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14802 on: June 10, 2022, 03:58:18 PM »
 :emawkid:

about rough ridin' time, tho.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14803 on: June 10, 2022, 04:03:22 PM »
:emawkid:

about rough ridin' time, tho.
Perfect timing for me, headed to Paris next Saturday.  Kids staying with the grandparents i was mildly stressed about getting stuck over there.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14804 on: June 10, 2022, 04:15:57 PM »
CDG is a pretty good European airport, which reminds me of a slightly different corollary I've been wanting to introduce ITT. Anyone noticed how much better quality the food is in European airports? I mean, you go to CDG or any major hub in Europe, and the food blows anything we offer domestically out of the water.

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14805 on: June 10, 2022, 04:26:36 PM »
CDG is a pretty good European airport, which reminds me of a slightly different corollary I've been wanting to introduce ITT. Anyone noticed how much better quality the food is in European airports? I mean, you go to CDG or any major hub in Europe, and the food blows anything we offer domestically out of the water.
We have a mid morning flight out, so we’ll probably get there way earlier than necessary just to avoid any delays (security).  So if you have recommendations, I’m open to them.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14806 on: June 10, 2022, 04:53:24 PM »
I never noticed particularly good food at European airports

I also usually do lounges though :gocho:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14807 on: June 10, 2022, 05:00:25 PM »

euro lounges are better tho.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14808 on: June 10, 2022, 05:13:13 PM »
We have a mid morning flight out, so we’ll probably get there way earlier than necessary just to avoid any delays (security).  So if you have recommendations, I’m open to them.

The thing that sticks out to me is the grab-and-go stuff.  Fresh baguette sandwiches with ham, butter, and cornichons, for example. I've noticed there is more of a deli vibe to most airport "quick" eateries there. But it's actually good stuff, not 7-eleven packaged sandwich type stuff. Fresh ingredients. Same for Frankfurt, Zurich, Lyon, etc. Good bread.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14809 on: June 10, 2022, 05:58:29 PM »

my one and only experience there we were in the Lufthansa lounge (NON HUMBLE brag) and we got our own special lounge bus to the bird. pretty sweet. also wtf with all the busses to the planes. just do a jetway you weirdos.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14810 on: June 10, 2022, 05:59:47 PM »
mrs. sd was hungover as crap at the Frankfurt airport one time and you cannot buy any type of ibuprofen, tylenol, etc. in the entire place. we had to get some from the stewardess when we boarded our FIRST CLASS INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14811 on: June 10, 2022, 06:01:51 PM »
We flew AA FIRST CLASS ORD TO LHR once and we got there in the morning and the LHR arrivals lounge rules. you get a little bathroom suite and shower up and put all your crap you want ironed throught his hatch and they iron your clothes while you shower and then you come out for breakfast buffet and, you guessed it, rough ridin' beans. beans for breakfast. welcome to london you rough ridin' freaks, enjoy you breakfast beans.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14812 on: June 10, 2022, 06:08:29 PM »
my tiny little kids are flying UA LIE FLAT FIRST CLASS to LIH in a month. WHICH IS A BRAG.

Southwest home though

:sdeek:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14813 on: June 10, 2022, 06:11:06 PM »
how many mg of xanax for that southwest home? LIH-LAS-OMA. All daylight. 7 AM departure. and I'll have the across the aisle with strangers seat. Kids and wife in their three across. absolute nightmare fuel. I'll probably start stressing about it 2 days before we leave.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14814 on: June 10, 2022, 06:14:24 PM »
We flew AA FIRST CLASS ORD TO LHR once and we got there in the morning and the LHR arrivals lounge rules. you get a little bathroom suite and shower up and put all your crap you want ironed throught his hatch and they iron your clothes while you shower and then you come out for breakfast buffet and, you guessed it, rough ridin' beans. beans for breakfast. welcome to london you rough ridin' freaks, enjoy you breakfast beans.

Lmao. That's happened to me in both London and Dublin. Beans are an integral part of a Full English.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14815 on: June 10, 2022, 07:05:10 PM »
how many mg of xanax for that southwest home? LIH-LAS-OMA. All daylight. 7 AM departure. and I'll have the across the aisle with strangers seat. Kids and wife in their three across. absolute nightmare fuel. I'll probably start stressing about it 2 days before we leave.

What happened that you had to do SW

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #14816 on: June 10, 2022, 07:14:08 PM »
Currently sitting at the gate boarded with no pilot. Boarded at 6:30 it is now 8:15.

AA in Charlotte.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14817 on: June 10, 2022, 07:14:53 PM »

Didn't want to do a redeye in coach and there was no first class reward availability (at least in United). Almost pulled the trigger at $1,400 per seat but man that's a lot of cash to spend for my kids to sleep on a plan where they would be fine in a coach seat. Now that $1,400 flight is long gone anyway. Spending $10k for my family of 4 to not fly coach home is not something even I will do. So the only non-redeyes were SW. And honestly we got the SW flights on almost no points, 27k each. And one stopover only (which is a big deal to OMA).

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14818 on: June 10, 2022, 07:41:19 PM »
Currently sitting at the gate boarded with no pilot. Boarded at 6:30 it is now 8:15.

AA in Charlotte.
That’s awful.  A few years back i had boarded a flight from Tokyo to San Fran.  We sat at the gate for 3 hours due to some mechanical issue and approval to fly from United HQ.  After about a 3 hour wait, had a 9+ hour flight.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #14819 on: June 10, 2022, 08:11:20 PM »

Didn't want to do a redeye in coach and there was no first class reward availability (at least in United). Almost pulled the trigger at $1,400 per seat but man that's a lot of cash to spend for my kids to sleep on a plan where they would be fine in a coach seat. Now that $1,400 flight is long gone anyway. Spending $10k for my family of 4 to not fly coach home is not something even I will do. So the only non-redeyes were SW. And honestly we got the SW flights on almost no points, 27k each. And one stopover only (which is a big deal to OMA).
Family of 4? Based on your posting most people would assume you have enough children to field a full baseball squad.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14820 on: June 10, 2022, 08:46:46 PM »

Family of 4? Based on your posting most people would assume you have enough children to field a full baseball squad.

4 is 4x of me. shitloads.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14821 on: June 10, 2022, 08:54:28 PM »
Any pro tips for Galveston?  Going for first time in a couple weeks with family.  Kids 11, 12, 13.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14822 on: June 10, 2022, 09:13:39 PM »

euro lounges are better tho.
I flew BA first from LHR to ORD a few years ago and the lounge was incredible.  Kinda ruined admirals clubs.
:adios:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14823 on: June 10, 2022, 09:15:19 PM »
Any pro tips for Galveston?  Going for first time in a couple weeks with family.  Kids 11, 12, 13.

your 2008-2011 must have been pretty intense

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14824 on: June 10, 2022, 09:35:19 PM »
We adopted the 12 year old when he was 8 so it wasn’t quite as intense as it seems.