Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1357545 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #14100 on: March 09, 2022, 12:01:28 PM »
i'm going to st. thomas on friday  :Chirp:

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14101 on: March 13, 2022, 08:51:44 PM »
It’s looking like i get the opportunity to visit Paris (France) in June.  Any pro tips for a 4 day visit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14102 on: March 13, 2022, 09:35:41 PM »
rent bikes and explore the city! there are automated bike rental stands all over the place and it's super cheap. the city is extremely bike friendly and flat. go to a flea market. sit in the park under the eiffel tower and drink wine at sunset. go to montmartre. the louvre is pretty spectacular but it is a full day commitment to see like a third of it. you don't have to do all of that but those are just some ideas! congrats wiley. where you staying?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14103 on: March 13, 2022, 09:56:11 PM »
rent bikes and explore the city! there are automated bike rental stands all over the place and it's super cheap. the city is extremely bike friendly and flat. go to a flea market. sit in the park under the eiffel tower and drink wine at sunset. go to montmartre. the louvre is pretty spectacular but it is a full day commitment to see like a third of it. you don't have to do all of that but those are just some ideas! congrats wiley. where you staying?

Yep great advice! We did a guided bike tour the first day to get a feel for it with kids and it was great. In general I think bikes are the best way to explore a city like Paris. I had fun riding bikes to record stores because it took us to non-touristy neighborhoods but finding the french version of something you like doing at home is a pretty good starting place.

Also get some dang bread and cheese and pastries with that wine!

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #14104 on: March 13, 2022, 10:09:10 PM »

Yep great advice! We did a guided bike tour the first day to get a feel for it with kids and it was great. In general I think bikes are the best way to explore a city like Paris. I had fun riding bikes to record stores because it took us to non-touristy neighborhoods but finding the french version of something you like doing at home is a pretty good starting place.

Also get some dang bread and cheese and pastries with that wine!
Thanks for the insight.  I think ill have a good idea where we are staying Monday or Tuesday. Mrs Wiley’s corporate office (currently) is near the Palais Garnier (Opera House?). One day i will be in Lyons, but the rest will be spent in Paris.  Ill probably do the bike rental the first day i an there because she will be in meetings all day.  And i’m someone who loves the opportunity to get lost in foreign cities just exploring.

* i realized the day we are in Lyons, ill be a 2 hour train ride to Geneva.  That seems incredibly tempting to make as it’ll probably be my only chance to do that in my lifetime.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 10:12:50 PM by wiley »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14105 on: March 14, 2022, 07:42:02 AM »
St Germaine is the best part of the city to just walk around in. Louvre and Orsay actually are pretty cool and I’m not much of an art person. Honestly the old yelp is helpful there because there are little hole in the wall places that are worth ducking into if yelp says they rule. “L’addition c’il vous plait” is critical to know because they will never bring you the check if you don’t ask for it. Make dinner reservations at like 8 PM if you do want to feel like a weirdo. If you have a high end credit card you can tell them where you want reservations and they will call all those places and make them for you so you aren’t dealing with time zones and speakin’ dang French.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #14106 on: March 14, 2022, 10:45:36 AM »
Paris is a giant crap hole if we are being honest. The louvre and the catacombs were my favorite things in the city.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14107 on: March 14, 2022, 11:09:22 AM »
probably discussed earlier, itt but I'm too lazy to look. Do any elite gE travelers have recommendations for hassle free beach vacations in Florida or Carribean this summer? I've been doing some research about a Sandals resort in St Lucia that looks pretty great but we've never done an all-inclusive thing before. Looking for somewhere that would be simple to travel to from the KC area, quiet/no crowds, just sit on the beach and relax and eat/drink for 4-5 days.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14108 on: March 14, 2022, 11:34:41 AM »
St Germaine is the best part of the city to just walk around in. Louvre and Orsay actually are pretty cool and I’m not much of an art person. Honestly the old yelp is helpful there because there are little hole in the wall places that are worth ducking into if yelp says they rule. “L’addition c’il vous plait” is critical to know because they will never bring you the check if you don’t ask for it. Make dinner reservations at like 8 PM if you do want to feel like a weirdo. If you have a high end credit card you can tell them where you want reservations and they will call all those places and make them for you so you aren’t dealing with time zones and speakin’ dang French.

This is for sure important, also, I'd add when eating out expect it to more or less take closer to 2 hours, rather than 1, and not to waited on, wait staff there is very non-intrusive to the point of nearly ignoring you. You have to ask them, not the other way around.

Also Paris is great, you can easily get from the Arc De Triomphe to the Louvre on Champs de Elysees, across the Seine is the Eiffel Tower, Champ de Mars. Notre Dame is on an island just up the way from the Louvre.

I also really liked Hotel de Invalids, it's where Napoleon is buried and is also a great museum in general. You can also get a pretty cheap ticket to the top of Montparnasse which gives you great views of the city w/ the Eiffel Tower in it.

If you have the chance to duck out and go to Versailles and see the Palace, also worth it, just know it's going to be busy AF. I actually enjoyed the gardens there a ton, hardly anymore hangs out there, and it's just as interesting. Also if you're into the French revolution at all the Tennis Court where they took the Tennis Court Oath is like a fairly short walk from the Palace of Versailles.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14109 on: March 14, 2022, 11:35:28 AM »
probably discussed earlier, itt but I'm too lazy to look. Do any elite gE travelers have recommendations for hassle free beach vacations in Florida or Carribean this summer? I've been doing some research about a Sandals resort in St Lucia that looks pretty great but we've never done an all-inclusive thing before. Looking for somewhere that would be simple to travel to from the KC area, quiet/no crowds, just sit on the beach and relax and eat/drink for 4-5 days.

Probably not as quiet as you want but still fairly uncrowded was Marco Island, do recommend.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14110 on: March 14, 2022, 11:41:05 AM »
Paris is a giant crap hole if we are being honest. The louvre and the catacombs were my favorite things in the city.

False

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14111 on: March 14, 2022, 12:15:48 PM »
It appears we have 3 options for a hotel in Paris.

Hotel Louvre Marsollier
Hotel Paradis
Hotel Gramont

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14112 on: March 14, 2022, 12:48:21 PM »
It appears we have 3 options for a hotel in Paris.

Hotel Louvre Marsollier
Hotel Paradis
Hotel Gramont

Obv your choice but I'd pick the ones in bold just cause it'd be short walks to metros and stuff. Def work checking more into the looks/room jut keep in mind like most european places things are usually more cramped basic. That being said I'm not big on needing a super nice place as long as clean and easy to get to the real cool places.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14113 on: March 14, 2022, 12:58:37 PM »
I prefer the metro and the tram but I'm sure the bikes are cool too.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14114 on: March 14, 2022, 01:21:21 PM »
Paris is a giant crap hole if we are being honest.

what are some cities you like???

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #14115 on: March 14, 2022, 01:25:16 PM »

San Diego & London are my two favorites Domestic and International.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #14116 on: March 14, 2022, 01:34:07 PM »
Amelia Island, FL. St. Simon or Jekyll Island, GA. Fly into Jacksonville for all of them.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14117 on: March 14, 2022, 01:37:36 PM »

Yes. If you want to have a heart attack or stroke, biking up montmartre is a great idea.

You can't go wrong in Paris. Just AirBNB an apartment anywhere and learn how to navigate the Metro.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14118 on: March 14, 2022, 01:41:12 PM »
Ok any other paris recommendos? Wife is going there for a conference this spring.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14119 on: March 14, 2022, 01:43:24 PM »

Yes. If you want to have a heart attack or stroke, biking up montmartre is a great idea.

You can't go wrong in Paris. Just AirBNB an apartment anywhere and learn how to navigate the Metro.

montmartre is not a bike destination*

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14120 on: March 14, 2022, 01:46:45 PM »
Ok any other paris recommendos? Wife is going there for a conference this spring.

if you want to do an art museum do the orsay instead of the louvre

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14121 on: March 14, 2022, 04:16:13 PM »

London is great and I do like it more than Paris, and I speak French. Are you serious about San Diego though? When you get away from the water, it's pretty dirty.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14122 on: March 15, 2022, 12:40:51 PM »

London is great and I do like it more than Paris, and I speak French. Are you serious about San Diego though? When you get away from the water, it's pretty dirty.
The uncultured American in me also prefers London over Paris. I haven't been to San Francisco in a decade, but the few times i've been there I really liked it.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14123 on: March 15, 2022, 02:01:32 PM »
lol @ yoga for this hot take: "Paris is a giant crap hole[,] if we are being honest."

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14124 on: March 15, 2022, 02:18:28 PM »

IDK I just went to London back in January, London is perfectly find but it just doesn't feel as warm and airy as Paris is (besides being literally warmer and more open). It probably didn't help we spent the majority of the short time in SoHo this last time, and it's just grimy. Though, pretty much all giant cities have some grime to them.