Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1357500 times)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #9375 on: March 24, 2017, 07:57:34 AM »
My favorite NYC is to wander around neighborhoods on foot . Transit museum in Brooklyn is kind of cool for a touristy thing

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9376 on: March 24, 2017, 09:27:32 AM »
I agree with Phil. Been to NYC several times and haven't once done a tourist thing.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9377 on: March 28, 2017, 09:17:57 AM »
In two weeks, i'm going to a vendor fair at Southern Illinois. Work wants me to drive there and back in the same day ----> :sdeek:. Anyways, they gave me the choice of renting a car or using my own and getting mileage for it. Boss says you can make more $ by taking your own car, but I don't want the mileage on my new car. What would you do?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9378 on: March 28, 2017, 09:21:16 AM »
In two weeks, i'm going to a vendor fair at Southern Illinois. Work wants me to drive there and back in the same day ----> :sdeek:. Anyways, they gave me the choice of renting a car or using my own and getting mileage for it. Boss says you can make more $ by taking your own car, but I don't want the mileage on my new car. What would you do?

rent a car and demand a hotel

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #9379 on: March 28, 2017, 09:22:05 AM »

Choose mileage option.    Rent car on your dime.   Pay for it with mileage check.   Profit.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9380 on: March 28, 2017, 09:22:57 AM »

Choose mileage option.    Rent car on your dime.   Pay for it with mileage check.   Profit.

hmm now this is an interesting twist. :driving:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9381 on: March 28, 2017, 09:23:30 AM »
I'm going to an all-inclusive at Playa del Carmen next week. Should I leave the resort? :dunno:

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #9382 on: March 28, 2017, 09:23:31 AM »
Eight hours of driving plus the vendor day. eff that.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #9383 on: March 28, 2017, 09:23:49 AM »

This.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9384 on: March 28, 2017, 09:24:06 AM »
Great tidbits, definitely demanding a hotel, that's just silly.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9385 on: March 28, 2017, 09:25:02 AM »
I'm going to an all-inclusive at Playa del Carmen next week. Should I leave the resort? :dunno:

yeah.   take a collectivo into PDC, wander the strip, have some beers, buy some souveniers.

Also, look up All-Tournative tours and take the tour that includes a cenote, a Mayan village tour, and the Coba ruins.  Largest pyramid in Mexico.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9386 on: March 28, 2017, 09:25:39 AM »

:surprised:

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #9387 on: March 28, 2017, 09:28:11 AM »
if you guys are ever in southern Colorado, Manitou springs is a totes adorbs town. the penny arcade there(yeah I know who wants to go to an arcade when you're in Colorado) was a blast and they have a very good brew. also did hiking and all of that stuff.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9388 on: March 28, 2017, 09:29:03 AM »

you should at least consider it. there are some pretty neat cenotes close by and yal-ku lagoon which was pretty great. you don't need to pay for a tour operator to take you to any of those places. rent a car for a day and go on your own. I wouldn't bother with playa del carmen the town though. like why bother? leave the nice all inclusive so you can go to the dumpy town and pay for drinks and food? uh, no thanks.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g499445-Activities-Akumal_Yucatan_Peninsula.html
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:32:37 AM by Dr Rick Daris »

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9389 on: March 28, 2017, 09:32:19 AM »

you should at least consider it. there are some pretty neat cenotes close by and yal-ku lagoon which was pretty great. you don't need to pay for a tour of these places. rent a car for a day and go on your own. I wouldn't bother with playa del carmen the town though. like why bother? leave the nice all inclusive so you can go to the dumpy town and pay for drinks and food? uh, no thanks.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g499445-Activities-Akumal_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

PDC is a fun little toruist strip.   Also some tasty local eats.   There'a fab chicken place, but I forget the name.

Anywhoo, if he's going to rent a car in Mexico, he better do some research and know what he's getting into.   (Mandatory insurance- yours won't cover you, "propinas", funky left turns, that accidents are a criminal matter not civil, and that they will put you in jail until you pay for the damage up front.)   Not saying don't do it, just make sure you understand the laws.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9390 on: March 28, 2017, 09:59:19 AM »
In two weeks, i'm going to a vendor fair at Southern Illinois. Work wants me to drive there and back in the same day ----> :sdeek:.

what in the flying eff

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9391 on: March 28, 2017, 10:02:58 AM »
In two weeks, i'm going to a vendor fair at Southern Illinois. Work wants me to drive there and back in the same day ----> :sdeek:.

what in the flying eff
They always treat me right when I travel, but this is the first vendor fair I've done by myself, and I don't think they understand it's 5 and a half hours away! This will be fixed.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9392 on: March 28, 2017, 10:19:59 AM »
Looks like the dental school is actually in St. Louis on the Illinois side, so only 4 hours, but still.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9393 on: March 28, 2017, 10:27:21 AM »
Looks like the dental school is actually in St. Louis on the Illinois side, so only 4 hours, but still.

That's a cheap AF flight, tell them to stop being so small time

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9394 on: March 28, 2017, 10:36:20 AM »

This.

this is the way to go if your company will let you, smart ones won't though

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9395 on: March 28, 2017, 10:38:34 AM »

This.

His company wants an employee to drive for 8 hours AND attend a conference in the same day. Do they sound smart?

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9396 on: March 28, 2017, 10:39:35 AM »

That's a cheap AF flight, tell them to stop being so small time

this is true.  I interviewed with a company in Belleville out of school.   Flew over in the morning, flew back by dinner.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9397 on: March 28, 2017, 10:41:02 AM »

This.

don't see why they'd have a say.  He has the option to take mileage or have a company paid rental.   The IRS doesn't even care if you claim mileage on a rental vs. your own vehicle.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9398 on: March 28, 2017, 10:45:54 AM »
-A round trip flight is about $200-225, plus uber, and parking, right?

-$45 rental, gas, food, etc. Drive back. How much $ are they saving really?

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9399 on: March 28, 2017, 11:27:13 AM »
Zap their asses wackycat08
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite