Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1356463 times)

The Big Train

Re: travel thread
« Reply #6200 on: May 13, 2015, 02:10:04 PM »
eat at that burger place in Times Square

The Big Train

« Reply #6201 on: May 13, 2015, 02:12:47 PM »
Shake shack, maybe it's not in Times Square but that's the place I was talking about

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6202 on: May 13, 2015, 02:15:21 PM »
Is Flavortown too far out of the way?  Rhetorical Q, of course it isn't:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6203 on: May 13, 2015, 02:20:25 PM »
God damnit guys
:adios:

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6204 on: May 13, 2015, 02:21:52 PM »
Just booked my flight with Delta to head up to MSP for the Royals' series there the first weekend of October! I'm excited.

You should maybe tell your travel partner the dates because he doesn't seem to know.

He and I are talking about Milwaukee. A coworker scooped up the Minneapolis trip because his brother lives up there.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6205 on: May 13, 2015, 02:39:36 PM »
Just booked my flight with Delta to head up to MSP for the Royals' series there the first weekend of October! I'm excited.

You should maybe tell your travel partner the dates because he doesn't seem to know.

He and I are talking about Milwaukee. A coworker scooped up the Minneapolis trip because his brother lives up there.

Oh, ok well he still doesn't know the dates. They keep changing every time I ask him, or maybe that is because you keep changing plans.  :runaway:

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6206 on: May 13, 2015, 02:40:14 PM »

Oh, ok well he still doesn't know the dates. They keep changing every time I ask him, or maybe that is because you keep changing plans.  :runaway:

We'll figure something out this weekend on our way to the game.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6207 on: May 13, 2015, 02:46:23 PM »

We'll figure something out this weekend on our way to the game.

I need to know when he is going to be gone so I can plan the party at my house.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6208 on: May 13, 2015, 02:46:54 PM »
You should consult Zagat's.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6209 on: May 18, 2015, 11:12:53 AM »
I am going someplace really rough ridin' weird (for me) next week.  My family is going on vacation to Gulf Shores, AL.  I didn't even know that this place existed that long ago.  So weird.

Anyway, it's basically Destin, FL, but more to the west and with fewer cool people and more boring, that's basically what I have been told. 

This should be interesting.  I have also thought that Alabama and the deep south sounded very strange, so this will revealing.  We are driving, which is about a 14 hour drive, that we are breaking into 2 days.  We'll stay in Memphis on the way, and eat BBQ and go see the zoo (they have Pandas, which is apparently rare). I want to go to that BBQ place that has the "slap your momma" saying, and maybe see those ducks march in a hotel.  I really have no desire to see Graceland, but I will drive by it I suppose.  We have to drive through Mississippi and Alabama to get to Gulf Shores.  My wife and kids and I look non-jewish, so we should be pretty safe but you never know.  I am going to visit the pit and get some "Thanks Obama" talking points to use in case I get a flat tire or get into some other type of jam down there.

I will try and document my observations, and will share them with you guys!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6210 on: May 18, 2015, 11:16:08 AM »
I am going someplace really rough ridin' weird (for me) next week.  My family is going on vacation to Gulf Shores, AL.  I didn't even know that this place existed that long ago.  So weird.

Anyway, it's basically Destin, FL, but more to the west and with fewer cool people and more boring, that's basically what I have been told. 

This should be interesting.  I have also thought that Alabama and the deep south sounded very strange, so this will revealing.  We are driving, which is about a 14 hour drive, that we are breaking into 2 days.  We'll stay in Memphis on the way, and eat BBQ and go see the zoo (they have Pandas, which is apparently rare). I want to go to that BBQ place that has the "slap your momma" saying, and maybe see those ducks march in a hotel.  I really have no desire to see Graceland, but I will drive by it I suppose.  We have to drive through Mississippi and Alabama to get to Gulf Shores.  My wife and kids and I look non-jewish, so we should be pretty safe but you never know.  I am going to visit the pit and get some "Thanks Obama" talking points to use in case I get a flat tire or get into some other type of jam down there.

Sounds fun!

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6211 on: May 18, 2015, 11:16:44 AM »
I went to Gulf Shores last summer.  It was great.

Did you rent a beach house?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #6212 on: May 18, 2015, 11:23:32 AM »
i went to gulf shores the summer before the oil spill. it was great.

driving through the deep south is interesting. it was apparent that the entire economy of arkansas consists of backwoods flea markets and confederate flag stores.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6213 on: May 18, 2015, 11:25:26 AM »
I would try to do Graceland, too. Even if it sucked it would be great.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #6214 on: May 18, 2015, 11:28:34 AM »

Interstate BBQ is where you shoudl go.   And eff the ducks.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6215 on: May 18, 2015, 12:21:32 PM »

We are renting a condo thing.  The complex has a pool and stuff.  A house would have been better, but this thing was pretty reasonably priced.  I figure I'll check out the area, and if we like it, maybe do it up fancier next time.  I really had no idea what I was doing on this.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6216 on: May 18, 2015, 12:35:36 PM »
and regarding Graceland: every town has a rough ridin' zoo. There's just one Graceland.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6217 on: May 18, 2015, 04:09:29 PM »

We are renting a condo thing.  The complex has a pool and stuff.  A house would have been better, but this thing was pretty reasonably priced.  I figure I'll check out the area, and if we like it, maybe do it up fancier next time.  I really had no idea what I was doing on this.
I recommend this place if you decide to go back again.

http://www.kivadunes.com/?from=12

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez
    • View Profile
« Reply #6218 on: May 18, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »
Where should my 8manGF and I eat dinner in NYC on Memorial Day?  Staying in Midtown / Hell's Kitchen, but doesn't have to be right there.  Would prefer to keep it around or under $100 (excluding booze, duh) for the two of us.
Locanda Verde.  Their meatballs are the best ever.

If you can find a hip hop brunch place, everyone gets drunk out of their mind and the place is basically a club of millenial scum by 3 in the afternoon.  I haven't witnessed it, but I'm told it's a real thing and it's fun.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6219 on: May 18, 2015, 05:06:01 PM »
and regarding Graceland: every town has a rough ridin' zoo. There's just one Graceland.

They have Pandas at the Memphis Zoo.  Put that in your China book pipe and smoke it, RUSTY!!!!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6220 on: May 18, 2015, 05:08:13 PM »

I recommend this place if you decide to go back again.

http://www.kivadunes.com/?from=12

Wow, that's a nice place.  We are slumming it, compared to that.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6221 on: May 18, 2015, 05:09:24 PM »

They have Pandas at the Memphis Zoo.  Put that in your China book pipe and smoke it, RUSTY!!!!

the nationall zoo in DC has pandas. So does San Diego and Atlanta. How many Elvis-themed museums have the toilet where he died? I'll listen off the air.

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6222 on: May 18, 2015, 06:19:00 PM »
We'll stay in Memphis on the way, and eat BBQ and go see the zoo (they have Pandas, which is apparently rare). I want to go to that BBQ place that has the "slap your momma" saying, and maybe see those ducks march in a hotel.

In addition to BBQ, you should definitely make some time for Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken. It is absolutely worth the trip.

1000+ reviews on Yelp, 4.5+ average.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/guss-world-famous-hot-and-spicy-chicken-memphis

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez
    • View Profile
« Reply #6223 on: May 18, 2015, 07:26:02 PM »
Screw yelp.  Go to beale street get some drinks and listen to tunes, then get bbq from whatever place tickles your fancy after you've drank enough to not care about taste.  There will be live music and fun. If you have kids, same rules, just go in the afternoon.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6224 on: May 18, 2015, 09:22:47 PM »

Where should my 8manGF and I eat dinner in NYC on Memorial Day?  Staying in Midtown / Hell's Kitchen, but doesn't have to be right there.  Would prefer to keep it around or under $100 (excluding booze, duh) for the two of us.
Valbella and Lattanzis are at the top of your price range but very good. Been to each twice and much better than yelp seems to think. Glasshouse Tavern is a great lunch or happy hour spot if you sit at the bar and hang with Jane the bar tender. Irish lady that's great. Another great one that is quite small and cramped but very good is Mercato.