Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1356351 times)

Kid In the Hall and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #4000 on: May 04, 2014, 08:38:04 AM »
Alright, gE.c globetrotters, time to offer your  :th_twocents:.

Mrs. WonderMeal and I are going to ditch the junior WMs and head to Europe. We're thinking either Spain, Italy, or Greece, sometime in October. Which should we pick, and what city/cities in those countries should we stay in given the info below:

-Will be there 5-6 nights
-Priorities are eating great food, going on adventures, learning things.
-We are grown-ups, and will be using copious amounts of UR points to stay in nice accommodations

After your guidance, we will head on over to the credit card thread to make sure all the points and things line up.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: May 04, 2014, 09:09:58 AM »
Why aren't you considering other countries?

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: May 04, 2014, 09:25:50 AM »
We've considered other countries. Those are the three we landed on, for various reasons that are kind of boring. Any pro-tips appreciated it.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: May 04, 2014, 10:42:12 AM »
Spent a day in Venice and that is one of the coolest cities I've been to.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: May 05, 2014, 02:40:45 PM »
spain has the best food in the world.  i did a madrid- seville trip a few years ago, it was way better than going to olathe.

also, this- http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/04/etihad-a380-residence/

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4005 on: May 05, 2014, 03:21:30 PM »
also, this-http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/04/etihad-a380-residence/

damn, $43k for a 7 hour flight?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: May 05, 2014, 04:52:47 PM »
ya i'd think anyone w/ that kind of money is flying charter

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: May 05, 2014, 05:14:15 PM »
well technically it's $43k for two 7-hour flights

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: May 05, 2014, 08:00:51 PM »
ChiCat says Italy, 'ssclams says Spain.

No one for Greece? Anyone want to break this tie?

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: May 05, 2014, 09:01:30 PM »
I'd do Spain personally (haven't been but ms Tobias has).  Dat food!

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: May 05, 2014, 09:03:18 PM »
I'd do Spain personally (haven't been but ms Tobias has).  Dat food!

Dem Bulls Doe!

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: May 05, 2014, 10:28:13 PM »
Dallas is just like Rome.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: May 05, 2014, 11:17:45 PM »
We're doing western Europe for approximately 10 days in late September or early October, too.  Neither of us has been yet so we're going to some of the usual tourist spots.  We're debating whether we want to work west to east or vice versa. Option 1; fly into Dublin, take a 5 hour train/ferry ride to London, and then a 2 hour chunnel ride to fly out of Paris.  Option 2: fly into Milan, 7 hour train to Paris, 2 hour chunnel to London, either back to Paris to fly out or onto Dublin to fly out.  We're not flying into or out of London because of the ridiculous taxes.

Any alternative suggestions?  We want to see lots of stuff, but we also are a little worried about trying to fit too much into one trip.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: May 06, 2014, 12:15:37 AM »
You know thats Oktoberfest time, right?  Can't see why you'd pass that up.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: May 06, 2014, 06:35:18 AM »

You know thats Oktoberfest time, right?  Can't see why you'd pass that up.

Lol
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: May 06, 2014, 07:06:50 AM »
We're doing western Europe for approximately 10 days in late September or early October, too.  Neither of us has been yet so we're going to some of the usual tourist spots.  We're debating whether we want to work west to east or vice versa. Option 1; fly into Dublin, take a 5 hour train/ferry ride to London, and then a 2 hour chunnel ride to fly out of Paris.  Option 2: fly into Milan, 7 hour train to Paris, 2 hour chunnel to London, either back to Paris to fly out or onto Dublin to fly out.  We're not flying into or out of London because of the ridiculous taxes.

Any alternative suggestions?  We want to see lots of stuff, but we also are a little worried about trying to fit too much into one trip.

that sounds like a good plan. Travel bloggers say Milan is meh compared to other parts of Italy but I have never been. the eurostar between London and Paris is very convenient. drops you at the center of each city.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: May 06, 2014, 10:04:55 AM »
I actually think Oktoberfest would be pretty cool. 

Thanks, SD.  I actually wasn't super excited about Milan, other than we wanted to see Italy.  Now you have me thinking fly into Rome, take Chicat's suggestion and go to Venice, then on to Paris and London.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: May 06, 2014, 10:14:58 AM »
I actually think Oktoberfest would be pretty cool. 

Thanks, SD.  I actually wasn't super excited about Milan, other than we wanted to see Italy.  Now you have me thinking fly into Rome, take Chicat's suggestion and go to Venice, then on to Paris and London.

yeah, flying into Rome would be a much better idea imo.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: May 06, 2014, 10:19:41 AM »
If i go back to Europe i will try to do London/Paris/Lisbon

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: May 06, 2014, 11:28:33 AM »
Confirmed. Milan is worthless.

that sounds like a good plan. Travel bloggers say Milan is meh compared to other parts of Italy but I have never been. the eurostar between London and Paris is very convenient. drops you at the center of each city.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4020 on: May 06, 2014, 01:19:49 PM »
go to spain and watch jake play and go to greece and watch J Massey play

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: May 06, 2014, 03:02:11 PM »

Double confirmed. Unless you are huge into fashion there is really not much need to go to Milan. I would suggest Tuscany though, Florence and the countryside that surrounds it is incredible. Orvieto is another great stop between Rome and Venice. Both are easily reachable by train. Can't recommend the train enough. Definitely the best way and easiest way to see the country. It can be a little difficult to navigate, but it is manageable if you know what you are doing. If you are doing the train in Rome, do not listen to any mother rough rider that approaches you and tells you that your train has already left, unless it is an agent of the station (which case they will not approach you, but hide from you).

When you get to Venice, check out Burano if you have the chance. A ferry goes between the two regularly.

Eat Gelato as much as possible. Eat cured meats as much as possible. Drink wine as much as possible. Molto Bene.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: May 06, 2014, 03:03:21 PM »
how many months did it take you to get to italy, asava?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: May 06, 2014, 03:08:47 PM »

Double confirmed. Unless you are huge into fashion there is really not much need to go to Milan. I would suggest Tuscany though, Florence and the countryside that surrounds it is incredible. Orvieto is another great stop between Rome and Venice. Both are easily reachable by train. Can't recommend the train enough. Definitely the best way and easiest way to see the country. It can be a little difficult to navigate, but it is manageable if you know what you are doing. If you are doing the train in Rome, do not listen to any mother rough rider that approaches you and tells you that your train has already left, unless it is an agent of the station (which case they will not approach you, but hide from you).

When you get to Venice, check out Burano if you have the chance. A ferry goes between the two regularly.

Eat Gelato as much as possible. Eat cured meats as much as possible. Drink wine as much as possible. Molto Bene.

what is their motive for telling you your train has left?

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: May 06, 2014, 05:20:07 PM »
how many months did it take you to get to italy, asava?

1 1/2 years to build the boat, and 3 months to cross the Atlantic.

what is their motive for telling you your train has left?

this usually happens in the late day. the people who do this are associated with hotels or vacation rentals, and will essentially tell you that you are in a situation where you are stuck in Rome for the night, and that they are so very sorry this happened, but that they know a good place to stay for a good deal... blah blah blah you just paid three times what you should have to stay at some crap hotel on the outskirts of town. if you are stuck in this situation there are a few hostels around the train station that are way cheaper and have better locations.