Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1357300 times)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #3225 on: March 05, 2014, 11:51:49 PM »
Also the counter lines are way too long and understaffed.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: March 06, 2014, 12:11:53 AM »
I'd use them for personal but not if someone else is picking up the bill.

If it's personal use, then I most always use them unless other airlines are similar in price. On business, it usually comes down to what airline can get me there the quickest...and it's usually SW.

I will give SW credit though, they are efficient, always on time and the not paying for bags is a plus. $25-$35 each way on other airlines is a scam...i mean, GMAFB...

Their boarding process sucks ballsacks and taints.

I agree with the boarding process sucking balls after about A-10, but with A-List i've never been further down the row than that. Also, the counters are a disaster and I always skip them if possible.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: March 06, 2014, 06:12:38 AM »
I'd use them for personal but not if someone else is picking up the bill.

If it's personal use, then I most always use them unless other airlines are similar in price. On business, it usually comes down to what airline can get me there the quickest...and it's usually SW.

I will give SW credit though, they are efficient, always on time and the not paying for bags is a plus. $25-$35 each way on other airlines is a scam...i mean, GMAFB...

Compare apples to apples. Nobody actually pays for bags if you are a frequent flyer on any airline.

Too much herp derp and no business class. Great award rates and online interface are two huge SW perks imo. ATL is a fabulous airport though. Maybe just the SWA terminals are crappy? Idk never been there.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: March 06, 2014, 06:13:53 AM »
I'm starting to think mocat is the one w/ the enormous SWA butthurt

Why do you always follow me around??? GAH!!!

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: March 06, 2014, 06:15:53 AM »
Also, Michigan, I doubt seven has swa butthurt, if that helps you

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: March 06, 2014, 06:16:33 AM »
who travels for work and checks a bag? Like, hauling around tons of work things or something?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: March 06, 2014, 06:23:24 AM »
Also, Michigan, I doubt seven has swa butthurt, if that helps you

pretty sure this is an insult, but you're right.  i enjoy swa just fine.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: March 06, 2014, 07:33:25 AM »
all domestic carriers are commoditized crap so just stfu w/ the swa hate b/c they all pretty much suck compared to their international overlords

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: March 06, 2014, 07:46:25 AM »
who travels for work and checks a bag? Like, hauling around tons of work things or something?

When you spend two weeks overseas in two different environments you have to check a bag.

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: March 06, 2014, 08:17:21 AM »
Mrs. WonderMeal wants to plan a trip this summer for just the two of us. Because of the age of the Li'l WonderMeals and the duration we can be gone (4-5 days), it's looking like the trip needs to stay in North America as long flights will eat up too much vacation time.

Early leaders in the clubhouse are Vancouver, somewhere in Mexico or Central America, or somewhere like Montana (or other Western states where we have never been). She likes outdoorsy things, but also tasty eats.

Plan this vacay, gE!
 :billdance:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: March 06, 2014, 08:29:03 AM »

When you spend two weeks overseas in two different environments you have to check a bag.

well I have good news for you: you can check a bag for free on international flights on the major carriers

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: March 06, 2014, 08:34:19 AM »

Why would you ever go to a SW counter unless you were checking golf clubs?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: March 06, 2014, 08:51:40 AM »
The lack of upgrades and international point redemptions are great, valid arguments against southwest for frequent travelers. So I don't understand why seven and his followers always complain about the derp-yness or the boarding process or the amount of help at the gate counter. Like clams said, you're flying domestic from KC to Cleveland or Jacksonville or Boise - everyone is equally derpy, and the boarding process is a mess for every airline because people are afraid of missing out on overhead bin space. And lmao at talking to a gate agent.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: March 06, 2014, 09:05:00 AM »

well I have good news for you: you can check a bag for free on international flights on the major carriers

I don't care about the cost, I care about waiting in a long, understaffed line to get home. 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: March 06, 2014, 09:07:24 AM »

Why would you ever go to a SW counter unless you were checking golf clubs?

April, 1 week in Denmark (cold as crap), 1 week in Israel (hot as crap), then back to Chicago for a few days (cold again), then back to MCI on Southwest.  Suits, jackets, sweaters, swim trunks, workout clothes, etc.  You check a bag.  I didn't have an option.  As long as that line was I think anyone that had the option wouldn't have been there. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3240 on: March 06, 2014, 09:08:11 AM »
I don't think emo even knows what he's arguing.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: March 06, 2014, 09:10:32 AM »

my work travel is 3 weeks at a time and I carry some equipment with me, so I have to check when I fly
emaw

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: March 06, 2014, 09:11:46 AM »
I'm arguing that I needed to check a bag, and for reasons unbeknownst to you I needed to fly SW to get home, hence the need to wait in a long line and thus my general dissatisfaction with fly Southwest. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: March 06, 2014, 09:13:44 AM »
idk but for a pro-traveler you don't seem like a pro-traveler smh

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: March 06, 2014, 09:15:49 AM »
I'd love to hear what I should have done.  :D

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: March 06, 2014, 09:17:08 AM »
I'm arguing that I needed to check a bag, and for reasons unbeknownst to you I needed to fly SW to get home, hence the need to wait in a long line and thus my general dissatisfaction with fly Southwest.

Yeah that's a pretty random case and anecdote. If you travel a lot domestically, you run into these situations with every airline depending on the airport and time of day. I've been forced to check bags on southwest and had way more issues when I've had to check on delta or united. But those are just anecdotes, much like yours.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: March 06, 2014, 09:19:58 AM »
Like, why on earth did you book southwest at the end of that trip? I don't hate southwest but I definitely would have used whatever alliance got me to Israel and back.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: March 06, 2014, 09:22:46 AM »

Yeah that's a pretty random case and anecdote. If you travel a lot domestically, you run into these situations with every airline depending on the airport and time of day. I've been forced to check bags on southwest and had way more issues when I've had to check on delta or united. But those are just anecdotes, much like yours.

It certainly could have been anecdotal, but I've checked (for work) with other carriers many times and none had such a long and understaffed line as that one.  Maybe Midway SW just sucks though?  :dunno:  It's enough that I won't even consider them for work if I don't have to.  I will (and just plan ahead) for personal stuff if it saves me enough money.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: March 06, 2014, 09:23:34 AM »
SWA has the no change fees which is probably the best thing about them and Rapid Rewards is great and so is their website.  but they have shitty boarding and you have to fly with 136 other Walmart shopping poors.  AA has normal boarding and you can actually get upgrades but their website is shitty and they're always late because the workhorse of their fleet is still a bunch of 30-year-old MD-80s.  United-Continental is just LOL.  I can't get past their awful website to even bother flying with them.  I just laugh every time I go there and then I pass out from laughing so hard and wake up and book with someone else.  so anyway my central thesis here is who cares, they all suck pretty much equally in one way or another.
emaw

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: March 06, 2014, 09:28:03 AM »

It certainly could have been anecdotal, but I've checked (for work) with other carriers many times and none had such a long and understaffed line as that one.  Maybe Midway SW just sucks though?  :dunno:  It's enough that I won't even consider them for work if I don't have to.  I will (and just plan ahead) for personal stuff if it saves me enough money.

Trust me, it happens all the time with other carriers.