Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1550034 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #16750 on: July 25, 2024, 12:36:11 PM »
Open seating rules, rip
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #16751 on: July 25, 2024, 05:09:23 PM »
I’m companion passing at this very moment. Have two more RTs booked for this fall as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16752 on: July 25, 2024, 05:32:55 PM »
Open seating rules, rip

I think you and I are in the minority on this one
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #16753 on: July 25, 2024, 09:11:07 PM »
Open seating rules, rip

I think you and I are in the minority on this one
I love the open seating too. I have status now tho so this shouldn’t effect me any
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16754 on: July 25, 2024, 10:27:28 PM »
I haven't had the need to fly SW the last several years but losing open seating kinda sucks. It's kinda performative arts when it comes to boarding and whatnot but I appreciated it's commitment to some rules while being totally random. Wonder how they'll fold it into their lineup system. Hopefully with some intelligence
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16755 on: July 26, 2024, 09:57:39 AM »
i've talked a lot of crap on open seating, and this is really putting my opinion, and character really, to the test. i can't believe they're going away from it.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #16756 on: July 26, 2024, 10:08:39 AM »
I mean, it was obviously a money decision, but I have read that they had to find a way to keep people from abusing the pre board and instead of accusing people of not being handicap, they just said eff it. They were losing business travelers because of it. No idea if this is true, but I read that one of the options was to tell people using wheel chairs that if they needed a wheel chair to pre board, they had to wait for one at destination. It makes me lol thinking about how they would enforce this and watching someone hop up to get their bag a destination only to be told they needed to sit back down and wait for their wheel chair.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16757 on: July 26, 2024, 10:17:30 AM »
a zero carry on rule for the preboarder AND companion might reduce it some

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #16758 on: July 26, 2024, 10:29:22 AM »
a zero carry on rule for the preboarder AND companion might reduce it some

I like it. i'm of the opinion that they should charge for carry on and not checked bags. Anything that doesn't fit under your seat is $20 or whatever. I hate waiting for my bag just as much as everyone, but waiting for my luggage off the plane is way less rage inducing than waiting for people to get their 8 bags off the plane.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16759 on: July 26, 2024, 03:21:06 PM »
should have just put pre-boarders in the back of the plane.  i was a vocal proponent of swa’s boarding and no reservation system.  of course, anything is better than the delta cattle call.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #16760 on: July 28, 2024, 01:21:43 PM »
then after state baseball we are going to kauai again. 5 nights at an airbnb in Hanalei and then 6 nights in connecting rooms at the Grand Hyatt. Gonna be so chill guys, after the absolute monster stress and nonstop go of baseball. I mean, relative chill when you have an 8 and 11 year old. but you know, still sort of chill.

Have been thinking about a family Hawaii trip.  How many points will I need for connecting rooms at the Grand Hyatt?  Any Marriott properties on the north side worth a crap that I can blow some points on?

shitloads, nope

@stevedave - I’ve got shitloads of points now.  How do you book connecting rooms?  Just call?

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16761 on: August 05, 2024, 11:42:23 PM »
Hypothetical for my rewardheads out there. (mci-tyo) Would you select a preferred flight for 200k or 110k + 3.5hr additional layover time?

Option 3 - 200k minus 4hr trip time but to the airport 90 minutes away?

I'm noodling around all three

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16762 on: August 06, 2024, 01:04:11 AM »
Hypothetical for my rewardheads out there. (mci-tyo) Would you select a preferred flight for 200k or 110k + 3.5hr additional layover time?

I would do the long layover for 110. You might be able to do a same day change depending on airline or status and you can always ask at the airport. But like you have a whole other trip there for 3.5 hours at an airport, I think that's a pretty good trade.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16763 on: August 06, 2024, 07:36:21 AM »
then after state baseball we are going to kauai again. 5 nights at an airbnb in Hanalei and then 6 nights in connecting rooms at the Grand Hyatt. Gonna be so chill guys, after the absolute monster stress and nonstop go of baseball. I mean, relative chill when you have an 8 and 11 year old. but you know, still sort of chill.

Have been thinking about a family Hawaii trip.  How many points will I need for connecting rooms at the Grand Hyatt?  Any Marriott properties on the north side worth a crap that I can blow some points on?

shitloads, nope

@stevedave - I’ve got shitloads of points now.  How do you book connecting rooms?  Just call?
Book a king room and a 2 queen room of the same type. You can select connecting room on the booking. Then call the actual hotel and they’ll confirm it. Then I usually call like a week before we arrive to triple co firm it.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16764 on: August 06, 2024, 07:37:35 AM »

I would do the long layover for 110. You might be able to do a same day change depending on airline or status and you can always ask at the airport. But like you have a whole other trip there for 3.5 hours at an airport, I think that's a pretty good trade.
Agree

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #16765 on: August 06, 2024, 09:02:02 AM »
The Grand Hyatt Deer Valley is coming along nicely.  They’re taking reservations for late November.  It’s in kinda of a weird spot.  Doesn’t look like there’s any action on the rest of the new base village.  And the new lifts/terrain won’t open until 25-26 season.  Maybe there will be some deals between now and then for you UR hoarders.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16766 on: August 06, 2024, 11:44:51 AM »
The Puerto Vallarta beach house did not disappoint. If you ever have a big enough group to get a house with a chef, I highly recommend.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #16767 on: August 06, 2024, 11:46:04 AM »
The Puerto Vallarta beach house did not disappoint. If you ever have a big enough group to get a house with a chef, I highly recommend.
I was talking about this with someone at a party this weekend! They were with a group of 12 and had their own chef and stuff there and said it was awesome.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16768 on: August 06, 2024, 01:03:48 PM »
Have done that before outside of Cabo, def recommended

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16769 on: August 06, 2024, 01:08:38 PM »

Agree

Joke's on me! I had the wrong month selected and that just happened to be the only date within 2 months either way under 200k. I had already spent all those points in my head.  :blindfold:

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #16770 on: August 06, 2024, 01:24:16 PM »

Agree

Joke's on me! I had the wrong month selected and that just happened to be the only date within 2 months either way under 200k. I had already spent all those points in my head.  :blindfold:

we all make travel booking mistakes friend.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16771 on: August 06, 2024, 01:26:07 PM »

Agree

we all make travel booking mistakes friend.

:lol:
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16772 on: August 06, 2024, 01:33:29 PM »
You were in the forefront of my mind friend

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16773 on: August 06, 2024, 01:39:16 PM »
Use pointsyeah if you’re don’t already. It’s free.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16774 on: August 06, 2024, 02:20:43 PM »
well between yesterday and today they have all different redemption values and i snagged a business class on ANA (!) with only a 2 hour stop at IAH for 110k.  i feel pretty jazzed about that.