Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1354242 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #15600 on: March 22, 2023, 11:29:27 AM »
This ranks up there was dumb restaurant name spelling in my anger scale.

It's really nonsensical, yeah.

This oasis of authenticity may inspire me to post some pictures from my travels to Stars & Stripes All American Bar & Restaurant in St. Gallen, Switzerland.

Love that their stock photo of America stuff includes what appears to be an early 2000s UIUC football player. 

Also, here'th thumthin (jay leno voice): i guessed that picture to be early 2000s, so I looked up the 2001 Illinois football roster to see if they had a white #87 tight ends.  Turns out, they did!  And it's current Illinois Athletic Director Josh Whitman.  How about that? cc @MrBread

@mrbread is that current UIUC AD Josh Whitman?

Yes, that's Whitman. And yes, that's Kyle (the eagle).

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15601 on: March 22, 2023, 12:30:56 PM »
Going to Buffalo for a concert late June. May go to the Finger Lakes region for a few days, was thinking Watkins Glenn area. Any tip or advice are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That seems like a random concert destination?

Also I can't really help you but I have heard the Watkins Glen area is nice

Also go to Niagara Falls!
It is a random destination. We go see My Morning Jacket fairly often and like to pick a part of the country we haven’t been. Definitely doing Niagara Falls. Debating whether to do the Canadian side, the US side, or both.

very nice

I've never been but isn't Canada the better side? If you have a passport just do both

Canadian side is definitely the better side.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15602 on: March 22, 2023, 01:06:47 PM »
Going to Buffalo for a concert late June. May go to the Finger Lakes region for a few days, was thinking Watkins Glenn area. Any tip or advice are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Why Watkins Glen? It is pretty there but there are finger lakes/upstate areas that are just as pretty but not as far away. As someone who's made that drive more than I care for, it's a really long way away. It's not one of those drives that says it will take 2.5 hours but you can do it in 2, it's going to take every bit of that 2.5: and probably more because you'll get stuck behind a slow ass pickup on one of the impassable two lane highways. If you're set on going that far away from Buffalo, just go to Ithaca, it's the same distance, same beauty, more stuff to do, more restaurants and bars.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15603 on: March 22, 2023, 01:10:14 PM »

That seems like a random concert destination?

Also I can't really help you but I have heard the Watkins Glen area is nice

Also go to Niagara Falls!
It is a random destination. We go see My Morning Jacket fairly often and like to pick a part of the country we haven’t been. Definitely doing Niagara Falls. Debating whether to do the Canadian side, the US side, or both.

very nice

I've never been but isn't Canada the better side? If you have a passport just do both

Canadian side is definitely the better side.

At the falls though, not really. It's not at all different than the American side. If you want to take the 90 minute drive to Toronto then yeah, but if you wait the 30 minutes to cross just to go to Niagara Falls, Ontario, you're going to be pissed.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #15604 on: March 22, 2023, 06:02:41 PM »

Yes that's him.
wow.  how do you like that, Chings?  right up there next to mt. rushmore, the golden gate bridge, a bald eagle, the LA skyline, and a rocket ship.

It's great to be part of a legacy of excellence and large portions .

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15605 on: March 22, 2023, 08:04:44 PM »
My wife’s cousin lives on a finger lake ama

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15606 on: March 22, 2023, 08:23:02 PM »
I liked it better when chings switched over to the mr bread account to reply
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steaksdime

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15607 on: March 22, 2023, 08:38:40 PM »

Why Watkins Glen? It is pretty there but there are finger lakes/upstate areas that are just as pretty but not as far away. As someone who's made that drive more than I care for, it's a really long way away. It's not one of those drives that says it will take 2.5 hours but you can do it in 2, it's going to take every bit of that 2.5: and probably more because you'll get stuck behind a slow ass pickup on one of the impassable two lane highways. If you're set on going that far away from Buffalo, just go to Ithaca, it's the same distance, same beauty, more stuff to do, more restaurants and bars.
Watkins Glenn seemed central to a lot of the hiking and waterfalls. Also, found a cheap cabin (but googled the owner and he recently resigned as mayor due to multiple sexual harassment allegations  :sdeek: so probably will find another option). I don't mind driving, in areas that I haven't driven in a million times already (although not driving as far is obviously an advantage). How does that drive compare, scenery wise to driving I35 through Iowa/Minnesota?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15608 on: March 22, 2023, 10:37:41 PM »

Watkins Glenn seemed central to a lot of the hiking and waterfalls. Also, found a cheap cabin (but googled the owner and he recently resigned as mayor due to multiple sexual harassment allegations  :sdeek: so probably will find another option). I don't mind driving, in areas that I haven't driven in a million times already (although not driving as far is obviously an advantage). How does that drive compare, scenery wise to driving I35 through Iowa/Minnesota?

Hahahaha The drive actually isn't scenic at all until you get to Watkins Glen, then it's amazing Western New York is actually pretty assy. Upstate New York is nicer, has amazing pockets, but largely isn't great either. It's like the rest of rural America with a few more hills.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15609 on: March 22, 2023, 10:53:06 PM »
upstate new york as in the adirondacks is high level elite, much different than finger lakes/southern upstate

my formative years were spent throughout the region and I look back at it very fondly

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15610 on: March 22, 2023, 10:55:59 PM »
Don't sleep on the Berkshires, either.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15611 on: March 22, 2023, 11:00:18 PM »
upstate new york as in the adirondacks is high level elite, much different than finger lakes/southern upstate

my formative years were spent throughout the region and I look back at it very fondly

Accurate

New York is a huge rough ridin' state, really diverse geography

Offline steaksdime

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15612 on: March 23, 2023, 08:42:17 AM »
Thanks fellas. This is why I pay for premium.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15613 on: March 26, 2023, 03:31:13 PM »

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15614 on: March 26, 2023, 03:33:48 PM »

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15615 on: March 26, 2023, 03:39:01 PM »
nope!

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15616 on: March 26, 2023, 03:51:12 PM »
SAV?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15617 on: March 26, 2023, 04:01:31 PM »
Three extra nights in Hawaii. What to do?

We’ve currently got six nights booked on Kaanapali Beach for the Maui Invitational in November…it will be my daughter‘s third Maui, my fourth and my wife's fifth. I’d like to spend three more nights (could do four) elsewhere. In 2019 we spent two nights in Hana, and are considering doing that again…but also thinking about Kauai/Oahu/Big Island.

We‘ve been to Maui, Oahu, Kauai and Lanai…but not the Big Island, and will be traveling with our nine year old daughter.

Anyone have a good pitch for a side trip? Is nine days enough to really get the job done?

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15618 on: March 26, 2023, 04:03:33 PM »
SAV?
nope!  you and kRusty aren’t terribly far off tho

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15619 on: March 26, 2023, 04:38:55 PM »
I flew out of the new EWR terminal A today but didn’t get any pictures. It was very nice.
:adios:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15620 on: March 27, 2023, 12:14:27 AM »
Nashville? I recognize those rocking chairs but I'm not 100% from where.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15621 on: March 27, 2023, 12:58:11 PM »
Charleston

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15622 on: March 27, 2023, 12:59:08 PM »
Damn, I figured it out but absolutely cheated so I'll keep my mouth shut

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15623 on: March 27, 2023, 01:01:21 PM »
honing in

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15624 on: March 27, 2023, 02:05:28 PM »
Nashville? I recognize those rocking chairs but I'm not 100% from where.

Rocking chairs are in just about every airport in the south iirc