Author Topic: have these new mhk eateries been discussed yet?  (Read 509562 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Re: have these new mhk eateries been discussed yet?
« Reply #550 on: November 12, 2013, 11:21:10 AM »
anyong haseyo, cat fans!

Bi Bim Bop review:

This is NOT a korean restaurant. It has one page of korean dishes that are more like an afterthought. If you ever crave pusan or korean garden or your friends mom's cooking, this will not scratch your itch.

Bi Bim Bop is still good though. The rest of the menu and food quality is EXACTLY the same as Green Tea. The prices are also the same. We are looking at an impending japanese food aggieville deathmatch. BBB would lose as of right now based on an apparent lack of liquor license. Who wants sushi without warm saki? Nobody. I assume they are planning to serve though since they fixed up the gumby's bar.

The korean spicy wings (boners) were sold out so they must be pretty good good :ck:

Didn't actually have any raw fish sushi to judge, but looking at the sushi bar it was very clean and tidy, all the fish looked good, and there were no bad odors.

The service was good and every single employee thanked us for coming when we left.

This place is a direct competitor with green tea. Same food and same price point. Really weird that someone decided there needed to be two japanese sushi restaurants in aggieville less than a block from each other.

sayonara!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 01:04:15 PM by puniraptor »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 12, 2013, 01:00:25 PM »
 :billdance:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: November 12, 2013, 01:14:54 PM »
@littleapplefood: UPDATE via BullChicks: "As soon as possible, we will reopen our location and get back to serving you the food you love!"

Oh.

I don't know what to believe anymore!  :runaway:

Quote from: bullchicks FB
Thanks, everyone, for your expressions of support for your local BullChicks restaurant! As you’ve noticed, we are having a problem with a local operator at our Manhattan location. That operator will not be involved in the restaurant location any longer. As soon as possible, we will reopen our location and get back to serving you the food you love! In the meantime, thanks so much for your patience.

kinda weird, right?

i assumed it was a franchise, but this makes it seem like not.

sounds like the operator may have been some kind of jacob pullen hater.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: November 12, 2013, 01:17:17 PM »
@littleapplefood: UPDATE via BullChicks: "As soon as possible, we will reopen our location and get back to serving you the food you love!"

Oh.

I don't know what to believe anymore!  :runaway:

Quote from: bullchicks FB
Thanks, everyone, for your expressions of support for your local BullChicks restaurant! As you’ve noticed, we are having a problem with a local operator at our Manhattan location. That operator will not be involved in the restaurant location any longer. As soon as possible, we will reopen our location and get back to serving you the food you love! In the meantime, thanks so much for your patience.

kinda weird, right?

i assumed it was a franchise, but this makes it seem like not.

sounds like the operator may have been some kind of jacob pullen hater.

I was getting worried. Almost got to the end of a post without a jab at me!

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 15, 2013, 03:44:25 PM »
That bourbon baker place looks elite as F

I believe it opened on Wednesday. Has anyone been there yet? Was thinking about checking it out tonight before I head to the Ville...

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: November 15, 2013, 03:47:43 PM »
i'm excited that there is actually a bakery that's not a grocery store.  will def check it out.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 15, 2013, 03:50:12 PM »
i'm excited that there is actually a bakery that's not a grocery store.  will def check it out.

report back if they have candlesticks.     :crossfingers:

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 15, 2013, 06:00:16 PM »
there is already one of those downtown right across from the chef.. hazel hill chocolate.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 15, 2013, 06:19:28 PM »
there is already one of those downtown right across from the chef.. hazel hill chocolate.

do they have cookies and pies and stuff?

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 15, 2013, 06:34:19 PM »

do they have cookies and pies and stuff?
its mainly chocolate and chocolate dipped stuff but iirc they had cookies.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: November 15, 2013, 08:34:40 PM »
Karnivore BBQ downtown is OK. I didn't think it was better than Cox's Bros. They have a pretty good beer selection though.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 15, 2013, 08:39:42 PM »
if someone goes and crushes food and booze at rough ridin' bourbon and baker and reports back with an actual review I will pay for the entire thing (nope, but do it anyway you idiots it looks great!)

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: November 15, 2013, 09:24:28 PM »
if someone goes and crushes food and booze at rough ridin' bourbon and baker and reports back with an actual review I will pay for the entire thing (nope, but do it anyway you idiots it looks great!)

:lol:

Karnivore BBQ downtown is OK. I didn't think it was better than Cox's Bros. They have a pretty good beer selection though.
apparently guy that bought this from the guy who owned veldt lounge got an amazeballs deal on the building and said even if it goes under he doesn't care because he will have a sweet place to party

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 15, 2013, 09:29:38 PM »
apparently guy that bought this from the guy who owned veldt lounge got an amazeballs deal on the building and said even if it goes under he doesn't care because he will have a sweet place to party

I don't think they changed any design stuff. Looked the same i guess. Curious how they "smoke" the meat.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: November 15, 2013, 09:33:34 PM »
I don't think they changed any design stuff. Looked the same i guess. Curious how they "smoke" the meat.

use of quotation marks doesn't sound promising :frown:

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 15, 2013, 09:50:15 PM »

had a bark...but no smoke ring. brisket was super tender...but probably too tender. Don't have, or were out of chicken. Their Sausage is either Johnsonville or Guinness brand. Only one BBQ sauce...which was too thick. Texas Toast wasn't toasted. I mean...they have some issues.
- chunkles

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 15, 2013, 09:51:38 PM »
hmm.  will still try probably

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 18, 2013, 07:37:37 PM »
CNS WIfe just saw a thing on FB saying Coco Bolos is opening a second location in the prairie fire development  on 135th in kc and are partnering with Michael Smith in doing so.  So, that sounds great.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 18, 2013, 07:49:28 PM »

had a bark...but no smoke ring. brisket was super tender...but probably too tender. Don't have, or were out of chicken. Their Sausage is either Johnsonville or Guinness brand. Only one BBQ sauce...which was too thick. Texas Toast wasn't toasted. I mean...they have some issues.

not really shocked that the place called karnivore across from mtc has issues. also, have heard that the bourbon baker place is the rd (real deal, not rick daris).

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: November 18, 2013, 08:12:46 PM »
I heard it was pretty bad :(

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: November 18, 2013, 08:15:40 PM »
drove by it sunday and it looked pretty woof-worthy... not even sure if it'll get my "try anything that isn't heroin once"  treatment now

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: November 18, 2013, 08:36:18 PM »

I had a couple of drinks there on Friday night. Really cool atmosphere...Definitely a postgrad/townie type of vibe.

I'm not much of a whiskey or bourbon drinker, but as their name would suggest they had a very extensive list...roughly 50-60 types. Ranged from well whiskey (~$5-$6) to some pretty elite looking stuff that ran about $35 a glass. Not a lot of beer on tap, but they have several bottled beers that the gE'ers from the Beer Connoisuer thread would appreciate.

Menu looked pretty amazing as well. I didn't eat but some friends I was with did. A bulk of their menu was small plates comprised of Southern/soul food type dishes - chicken and waffles, sliders, po boys,  deviled eggs ( :Yuck:), and cheesy grits. Also had a entree menu but I didn't see anyone order off it since it was about 10:30. I recall there being a couple of seafood dishes on there.

That's the best I can do...I got a little pak'd Friday night so some of the details escape me. I do suggest get there early as its not the biggest place in the world. There was a little bit of a wait to get a table and there's not a lot of SRO space. Overall I give it  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: November 18, 2013, 08:40:15 PM »
thanks, towniecat :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: November 18, 2013, 08:49:04 PM »

I had a couple of drinks there on Friday night. Really cool atmosphere...Definitely a postgrad/townie type of vibe.

I'm not much of a whiskey or bourbon drinker, but as their name would suggest they had a very extensive list...roughly 50-60 types. Ranged from well whiskey (~$5-$6) to some pretty elite looking stuff that ran about $35 a glass. Not a lot of beer on tap, but they have several bottled beers that the gE'ers from the Beer Connoisuer thread would appreciate.

Menu looked pretty amazing as well. I didn't eat but some friends I was with did. A bulk of their menu was small plates comprised of Southern/soul food type dishes - chicken and waffles, sliders, po boys,  deviled eggs ( :Yuck:), and cheesy grits. Also had a entree menu but I didn't see anyone order off it since it was about 10:30. I recall there being a couple of seafood dishes on there.

That's the best I can do...I got a little pak'd Friday night so some of the details escape me. I do suggest get there early as its not the biggest place in the world. There was a little bit of a wait to get a table and there's not a lot of SRO space. Overall I give it  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

hmmm. sounds like a worse version of longman and eagle. will take.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: November 18, 2013, 08:49:30 PM »
Definitely a postgrad/townie type of vibe.

:love:
WHO'S COMING WITH ME?!
'Daris?
KK?
LYNCH?
WHO!?