Author Topic: have these new mhk eateries been discussed yet?  (Read 508546 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: have these new mhk eateries been discussed yet?
« Reply #3500 on: June 21, 2016, 09:29:01 AM »
will people drive to the mall to drink/eat at a blue moose type place?  seems like not.

people that drive to the mall will eat at that type of place, yes.

hey guess what.  my point is that i don't think enough will to sustain their business model.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: June 21, 2016, 09:30:06 AM »
You guys are being snobby. 50 on tap is fun if they have a good selection. The lease at that building is absolutely ridiculous so it would've been a very select few that would've been able to afford to go into that spot.

if you want to drink an ipa that has been on tap for 4 months without a changeover or a line cleaning, go for it. i don't want to spend my money in an establishment that doesn't want to serve me the best quality product that they can. that proliferates our walmart and mcdonalds consumer culture, and it is not my bag. i would love it if everybody else get on board with that too, but, alas, that is a personal choice.
I agree with the taps but who are you going to get into that location that you would rather have?
Honestly don't see many going into that spot other than the Red Lobster, Outback etc.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: June 21, 2016, 09:33:21 AM »
You guys are being snobby. 50 on tap is fun if they have a good selection. The lease at that building is absolutely ridiculous so it would've been a very select few that would've been able to afford to go into that spot.

if you want to drink an ipa that has been on tap for 4 months without a changeover or a line cleaning, go for it. i don't want to spend my money in an establishment that doesn't want to serve me the best quality product that they can. that proliferates our walmart and mcdonalds consumer culture, and it is not my bag. i would love it if everybody else get on board with that too, but, alas, that is a personal choice.
I agree with the taps but who are you going to get into that location that you would rather have?
Honestly don't see many going into that spot other than the Red Lobster, Outback etc.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: June 21, 2016, 09:34:09 AM »
Blue moose doesn't seem walmart/McDonald'sy  :dunno:

I've never been there tho, but the people in top city love it because it's one of the few non-chain restaurants

That being said, I'm surprised they aren't hitting out west instead of downtown. Aggieville would be a poor location for them imo

I don't think mid-block Ville in a storefront would be good for them, but I think Varney's spot near CocoBolos and campus would have been a good spot for them.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: June 21, 2016, 09:34:52 AM »

Outback couldn't even survive in Topeka.   Thats how much it sucks.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: June 21, 2016, 09:36:43 AM »
Well it did great until known best chain restaurant in the world Texas roadhouse came in to town

:drool:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: June 21, 2016, 09:40:57 AM »

I've never been there tho, but the people in top city love it because it's one of the few non-chain restaurants

That being said, I'm surprised they aren't hitting out west instead of downtown. Aggieville would be a poor location for them imo

I did not call Blue Moose walmart/mcdonald'sy.

I was describing a certain type of consumer/retailer behavior.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: June 21, 2016, 09:41:18 AM »
Well it did great until known best chain restaurant in the world Texas roadhouse came in to town

:drool:

It was always busy, so it wasn't necessarily lack of customers.

Topeka lacks a good local steakhouse.    TR and Longhorn are consistent though, so I don't dislike them.   I never liked Outback though.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: June 21, 2016, 09:44:09 AM »

I would prefer that the MTC complex fail, to be completely honest. The development there should be much smaller in scope and scale, imo.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: June 21, 2016, 09:47:14 AM »

Ok. Maybe I just don't understand because I'm not a beer person.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3510 on: June 21, 2016, 09:53:22 AM »
i think blue moose would have been a good candidate for this new kimball development that has been mentioned on the fball board

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: June 21, 2016, 09:54:16 AM »
i think blue moose would have been a good candidate for this new kimball development that has been mentioned on the fball board

Yes, absolutely. Daris would be there 3 times a week

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: June 21, 2016, 09:55:47 AM »

Ok. Maybe I just don't understand because I'm not a beer person.

don't focus on the beer, its about the way the people selling you the product source and handle it before you buy it.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: June 21, 2016, 10:16:30 AM »
Sounds like Mae's has come a long ways since I drank $2 pints of Red Hook ESB for a 3 month stretch in '97 :cyclist:

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: June 21, 2016, 10:21:11 AM »

I want to hear more about this. What is happening on Kimball?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: June 21, 2016, 10:21:22 AM »
Sounds like Mae's has come a long ways since I drank $2 pints of Red Hook ESB for a 3 month stretch in '97 :cyclist:

back then, red hook esb was a big deal (even though budweiser distributor owned the distribution of it).  i hated hauling those kegs down the stairs though.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: June 21, 2016, 10:22:24 AM »

The office Park thing next to the new foundation building

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: June 21, 2016, 10:29:41 AM »

back then, red hook esb was a big deal (even though budweiser distributor owned the distribution of it).  i hated hauling those kegs down the stairs though.

there is a difference between distribution contracts and ownership of the brewery.

back then, red hook was independent, and one of the only craft brands distributed on a widespread basis.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: June 21, 2016, 10:30:46 AM »

The office Park thing next to the new foundation building

Would be great, but I do not anticipate a bar and grill ever filling that space.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: June 21, 2016, 10:34:11 AM »

there is a difference between distribution contracts and ownership of the brewery.

back then, red hook was independent, and one of the only craft brands distributed on a widespread basis.
yeah, that's what the guy at Nespor's told me when I asked about buying by the 6 pack like you could in Colorado at that time.  He also said Mae's was getting them super cheap because the kegs were already "old".   It is still one of my fav ESBs but Gutch from Defiance in Hays( :surprised:) has supplanted it lately.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: June 21, 2016, 10:44:14 AM »

yeah, i know.  but thanks, professor this thread.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: June 21, 2016, 10:45:43 AM »

yeah, that's what the guy at Nespor's told me when I asked about buying by the 6 pack like you could in Colorado at that time.  He also said Mae's was getting them super cheap because the kegs were already "old".   It is still one of my fav ESBs but Gutch from Defiance in Hays( :surprised:) has supplanted it lately.

we sold 6 packs of it at dean liquor

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: June 21, 2016, 10:49:13 AM »

An Extra Special Bitter (Red Hook) is not the same as an English Mild (Gutch).

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style08.php (English Bitter)

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style11.php (English Brown)

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: June 21, 2016, 10:50:02 AM »

yeah, i know.  but thanks, professor this thread.

don't post incomplete information, professor kansas city.  :dunno:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: June 21, 2016, 10:54:22 AM »
there was nothing incomplete in my post.  i explicitly said that budweiser was the distributor of the beer in MHK so as not to lead the reader of my post to believe that they were the owner of the brewery, which they clearly were not yet, as anyone with intimate knowledge of the mid to late 90's micro/craft beer scene would know.

/thread