Author Topic: sd white/non-white midwestern thread topic of the day (garden)  (Read 88153 times)

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: sd white/non-white midwestern thread topic of the day (garden)
« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2014, 11:20:28 AM »
Yeah, not looking to wait a entire year before getting berries.

Will raspberries produce in the first year?
Both raspberries and blueberries can/will produce berries in the first year, but for the health/longevity of the plant you are suppose to prune them so all their energy will go towards creating a strong root and stem structure. I have had success with raspberries though, they are a little more suited for Kansas' climate and soil. Raspberries spread too, so you can start off with 1 plant and have a nice little patch after a little while
I'm purple down

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2014, 11:21:29 AM »
I am also jazzed about asparagus, which also takes 2 years.

do you have asparagus secrets?

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 21, 2014, 11:26:15 AM »
what if i get like 2 year old pubescent plantlings?
You could do that, it will be more expensive to buy a more mature plant and transplanting it will still be a shock to its system, so I'm not sure how it would react. Basically you guys should get some stuff in the ground and reap the benefits next year.
I'm purple down

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 21, 2014, 11:31:13 AM »
I am also jazzed about asparagus, which also takes 2 years.

do you have asparagus secrets?
Asparagus is crazy. Basically you harvest it for a month or two in April-June ish every 2 to 3 days. Like you cut off a stalk and then 2 days later an almost identical stalk will be growing in its place. If you don't harvest them that often they go to seed. So after you harvest it for a couple months you let it go to seed, basically it gets like 6 foot tall and looks like a bush. Then I think you wait awhile and chop that down, then the next spring, boom more asparagus! Rinse and repeat.

I don't know anything about starting an asparagus planting though
I'm purple down

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 21, 2014, 11:32:56 AM »
^^^ gE's own extension agent! :excited:

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2014, 11:34:36 AM »
^^^ gE's own son of an extension agent! :excited:
FYP
I'm purple down

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2014, 11:35:12 AM »
:surprised:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 21, 2014, 11:38:45 AM »
I heard a gardening thing on the radio on asparagus.   They said the way to do it is to buy two yr old root ball things and basically cut a v groove, stretch the roots out in the groove, and cover them.  Made it sound like you could get this year growth on them.  Also said that asparagus can grow a foot a day and in good climates and can be harvested up to twice a day in perfect conditions.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 21, 2014, 11:46:35 AM »
I heard a gardening thing on the radio on asparagus.   They said the way to do it is to buy two yr old root ball things and basically cut a v groove, stretch the roots out in the groove, and cover them.  Made it sound like you could get this year growth on them.  Also said that asparagus can grow a foot a day and in good climates and can be harvested up to twice a day in perfect conditions.
Man I believe that, occasionally if it rained we had to harvest back 2 back days, but I bet in Kansas with the temperature and lack of moisture it wouldn't grow that fast, and really it's kind of a pain in the ass to have to cut it every day anyway.
I'm purple down

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 21, 2014, 11:50:11 AM »
man you guys are green studs

I can't really do anything until after april 15

am I missing all my prime windows?

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 21, 2014, 11:51:31 AM »

you should just guerrilla garden your future homestead at night

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 21, 2014, 11:53:24 AM »

Nah, all the warm season stuff: tomatoes, peppers, squash, melons, etc doesn't usually get planted until May
I'm purple down

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 21, 2014, 11:54:17 AM »

you should just guerrilla garden your future homestead at night

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 21, 2014, 12:57:36 PM »

Nope. Avg last frost in this part of ks is right around then, Mr Accountant.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 23, 2014, 02:17:58 AM »
i'm definitely potting my mint this year after basically letting it take over a few hundred sqft last year :sdeek:
I bet your yard smelled amazing after you mowed it :love:

tough luck having some plant that is the most awesome and amazing plant in the world that smells and tastes great taking over your yard and crowding out all your useless and shitty plant-smelling plants.  hopefully everyone learns from this horror story.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 23, 2014, 10:21:44 PM »
Man I believe that, occasionally if it rained we had to harvest back 2 back days, but I bet in Kansas with the temperature and lack of moisture it wouldn't grow that fast, and really it's kind of a pain in the ass to have to cut it every day anyway.
My first year of gardening i grew some asparagus from seed, i've still never really got a good harvest from that spot... the bush looks more like what you would think a perennial plant should look like (more shoots, clustered, but overall smaller/thinner) so if you have a corner of your yard you traditionally put more ornamental-type plants, you could put down some asparagus seed.  It comes back every year, and is actually a very pretty bush once you let it go to seed.  After the first year, since i still wasn't expecting much of a harvest, i put down a whole row of 2 year roots.  They aren't that expensive and they work great.  You definitely get harvest-able shoots the first spring that you actually need to cut away a few times.  I let mine go direct to seed and each root is now more inclined to send up one thick shoot that grows like a monster, whereas i'd prefer 2-3 shoots per root system for better ease of harvest.

Heres a question for you greenThumbKats: peppers?  3 seasons ago i did my first pepper bush, habaneros.  Planted one bush but never got many chilis off of it. The next season i planted 3 PLUS a ghost chili pepper bush... not realizing my mistake the previous year, i ended up with 2lbs of habaneros (the bush by its self the year before had to self pollinate and thus had low yields)  Which was nice, they were some beautiful fruits, but i challenge anyone to find a way to quickly and effectively use that much habaneros... throw 2 in a pot of chili to kick it up to a 5.  They're just too hot to be practical for any sort of large yield operation (i think a minimum configuration of 2 plants would be ideal, but you're still going to end up with a bunch)  The ghost chilis probably had the same problem as the habaneros the year before, they were lonesome.  i think i only got 5 peppers off of it.  On top of that, they never rippened...they froze on the vine in the fall still green, don't know what would have helped them along.  So last year i planted 3 Serrano bushes, thinking these would be less hot and more versitile.   My issue with them was that i saw my 3 bushes produce hundreds of smallish, not hot, peppers.  Harvesting was a pain, the final product didn't have the kick i craved, and Serranos have a thick waxy skin that limited their use (you either need to skin each one: tedious or just get used to picking the skins out of your teeth)   I guess i could give it another go and try pruning more religiously (i'm not a pruner, but i feel like i should be) or try another pepper.  Any suggestions?  I'd like something that grows a larger fruit, but still has some kick to it.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 23, 2014, 10:24:36 PM »
I would assume you could just compost all you don't use or give them to a soup kitchen/church outreach or something?

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 23, 2014, 10:26:32 PM »
I did give away a bunch of them, but F that, i aint running no charity.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 23, 2014, 10:28:39 PM »
Ok

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 23, 2014, 10:29:48 PM »
Thanks

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 23, 2014, 11:47:24 PM »
I ate an entire plate of baby asparagus at Nobu

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 21, 2014, 07:51:17 PM »
Yeah, decided to nix the seed idea and buy some that had already sprouted.

First row is kale, second row is spinach, third row is lettuce and 4/5th row is broccoli.

I"'ll probably replace whatever doesn't do well with peppers and other things once summer gets here.

GROW PLANTS GROW!

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 21, 2014, 08:17:38 PM »
and tobias!

(side-note: any suggestos for low sun environments?)

I think I know a guy that can help you with that.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 21, 2014, 09:14:22 PM »

I think I know a guy that can help you with that.

bro in law does that professionally :D

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 22, 2014, 09:26:30 PM »
Looks great, ben ji. This thread + your work in the fishing thread makes me think we'd be great IRL buds.

Some ideas to take your garden from Matt Miller-level to Jonathan Beasley-level and beyond:

-I would throw some pine straw, compost, or dead leaves on top of that soil so you don't lose moisture so quickly and so you don't have to weed. Don't use wood mulch--the other stuff I mentioned will slow feed your plants.
-You can plant more! Plant some peas, beans, or cukes to run along that chicken wire. Beans and peas are super easy to start from seed, cukes would probably need starters. Can you imagine pickling your own cukes and eating them with Lady while you catch dinner?  :love:
-You can sow some more spinach or lettuce seeds around the ones you already have--that way you can eat lettuce all spring, rather than just getting one crop out of it. Plus, neither of those plants need as much space as you're giving them right now.
-I'm also a little worried about you growing so many cool-weather plants that will be ready to eat right when the weather gets hot. Is that broccoli going to bear anything, or will it go straight to flower? ( :sad:) I might start some peppers in a pot right now, that way it gets nice and big before the summer--plus, if the broccoli is fine, you can keep the pepper in a pot and bring it inside for the winter and perennialize it!