Author Topic: HBBIQ Topic Re: Dom  (Read 15529 times)

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: HBBIQ Topic Re: Dom
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2010, 03:22:58 PM »
Mechanics are formed in middle school, you don't jack with them at this level.

This is not true.

if it were true there'd be about 2 good shooters on the planet.

True.  Coaches who coach middle school kids, on average, are some of the worst basketball minds imaginable.

I agree, which is why there are so many players will terrible/weird mechanics out there, by traditional standards.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2010, 03:25:11 PM »

This is not true.

Fred Brown had terrible mechanics. Should we have fixed them?

Not only should we have, but Frank actually mentioned trying to change it during Fred's Frosh year.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2010, 03:35:01 PM »

This is not true.

True.  Coaches who coach middle school kids, on average, are some of the worst basketball minds imaginable.

I agree, which is why there are so many players will terrible/weird mechanics out there, by traditional standards.

You don't see many in college.  You really don't.  The Fred Browns of the world are few and far between.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2010, 04:07:29 PM »

This is not true.

You don't see many in college.  You really don't.  The Fred Browns of the world are few and far between.

Eh, you could be right; I guess it depends on how strict your definition of good form is.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2010, 04:10:18 PM »
rusty's definition of 'good form' is very strict, some might say it's the strictest out there.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2010, 04:12:58 PM »
rusty's definition of 'good form' is very strict, some might say it's the strictest out there.

I could see this. Rus' isn't very flexible on any of his life rules. Yoga before 6AM, every day. JJ Reddick-like form, every shot. Etc.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2010, 04:15:05 PM »

Eh, you could be right;  I guess it depends on how strict your definition of some is.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2010, 05:05:47 PM »
Is dom's form really that bad? 

Also, it opens our post up a ton.  Dom is one of our better post feeders and his guy now has to play 2 or 3 steps closer to dom/ further from helping out on the post guy.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2010, 05:11:47 PM »
Kougs didn't say there aren't many with "good" form, he said there were a lot w/ "miserable/weird" form, which simply isn't true.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2010, 05:22:25 PM »
Is dom's form really that bad? 

Also, it opens our post up a ton.  Dom is one of our better post feeders and his guy now has to play 2 or 3 steps closer to dom/ further from helping out on the post guy.

It's not that his form is horrible, but his overall motion is very awkward.  It also varies.  Sometimes very slow(overly so) and deliberate, other times very quick and rushed looking. 

I can't say that I have seen him take a shot that is longer than 15' and thought that it looked smooth.  Not saying he isn't effective.  But his long ball is ugly.

I do love that he is hitting from outside.  It's been said, but this will only help our post game and Dom's slashing.  It will be easier for him to get around his guy if his guy doesn't have 4 or 5 feet to read him and then react.  This could improve the rate that he actually finishes the ball on this drives, rather than just getting to the line.

As long as his shooting proves to be more than just a short lived streak, it will only improve our offense and create more minutes for Dom.

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2010, 05:30:41 PM »
Lots of HBBIQ being displayed here.  Nice work fellas.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2010, 05:47:19 PM »
Just force yourself to remember that 0-13 debacle in the second round against Wisconsin, with the guy guarding Dom able to keep one foot in the paint at all times. That's huge. But seriously, this will hurt us in the long run.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

waldo

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2010, 06:09:14 PM »
Dom is a shooting machine in warm ups...I focused on him during warm ups for the CU game and I swear I didn't seem him miss a 3 pointer...it was amazing (this was before he actually made a shot during a real game).  It's not his mechanics, it's his melon.  His shot is a little slow, but who cares?  He's not going to jack up 10 3's a night with a defender draped all over him.  He needs to hit them when he gets open (when his defender challenges him to shoot hit)...he'll have all the time he needs to get it off.  His ability to keep his defender honest is a HUGE positive for our offense.

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2010, 06:10:48 PM »
It also varies.  Sometimes very slow(overly so) and deliberate, other times very quick and rushed looking. 

This is a bigger issue than simply having an ugly form, and could be a side effect of lack of cofindence.  If he's second guessing himself when he takes shots,  it'll show up in this manner.  Honestly, I've not noticed this, but it's not like there is a large sample size to look at.  It'll be interesting to see if some confidence leads to a consistent stroke.  How pretty it is doesn't concern me as much as how consistent it looks (and obviously how often it goes in)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2010, 07:26:57 PM »
Most of you weren't around during the elite "Rusty's shooting form critiques" from back in the day.  Good times.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
Most of you weren't around during the elite "Rusty's shooting form critiques" from back in the day.  Good times.

I've been here/there literally the whole time you have.

And mich, I still contend there are many shooters out there with bad form. Prove me wrong. :dunno:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2010, 08:47:15 PM »

And mich, I still contend there are many shooters out there with bad form. Prove me wrong. :dunno:

Name 12 w/ "bad form" in the Big 12.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2010, 08:55:35 PM »

.... lance harris....
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2010, 09:01:54 PM »
Plus, now he can start going around people who have to come out on him.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2010, 09:02:52 PM »
If I was his shooting coach, the first thing I'd do would be to teach him how to slap people in the face with his follow through like Kobe Bryant.  I'd also advise him to grow his fingernails out a bit and cut them into dagger-like shapes.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2010, 09:42:20 AM »

I don't write them down when I see them, but give me some time and I'll find you 12. I'll give you off the top of my head: Dunn, Aldrich, most Mizzou players not named Kim English, Denis Clemente, Bryan Davis.

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2010, 09:47:24 AM »
Why is it Leftys always seem to have the sweetest stroke whether its bball or baseball.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2010, 09:56:30 AM »

I don't write them down when I see them, but give me some time and I'll find you 12. I'll give you off the top of my head: Dunn, Aldrich, most Mizzou players not named Kim English, Denis Clemente, Bryan Davis.

You're wrong about Dunn and Clemente.  They don't get much elevation, but their form isn't "miserable/weird".  Never seen Bryan Davis shoot anything beyond 3 ft, so can't comment.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2010, 10:04:10 AM »
i think Cole has great form for the position he plays, they aren't supposed to be shooting jumpers.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2010, 10:12:04 AM »

You're wrong about Dunn and Clemente.  They don't get much elevation, but their form isn't "miserable/weird".  Never seen Bryan Davis shoot anything beyond 3 ft, so can't comment.

You didn't ask for "miserable/weird," you asked for "bad form." A set shot (Clems and Dunn) is bad form, technically speaking.

As for Aldrich and Davis, watch their FTs.