Author Topic: HBBIQ Topic Re: Dom  (Read 15545 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: HBBIQ Topic Re: Dom
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2010, 10:14:43 AM »
A set shot (Clems and Dunn) is bad form, technically speaking.

Not really.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2010, 10:18:51 AM »
A set shot (Clems and Dunn) is bad form, technically speaking.

Not really.

True. It's really encouraged it women's basketball.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2010, 10:20:48 AM »
Why is it Leftys always seem to have the sweetest stroke whether its bball or baseball.

I could just watch Johnny Damon's swing all day.

Offline bleedpurple

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2010, 10:24:41 AM »
Most of you weren't around during the elite "Rusty's shooting form critiques" from back in the day.  Good times.

I've been here/there literally the whole time you have.

And mich, I still contend there are many shooters out there with bad form. Prove me wrong. :dunno:

Name 12 w/ "bad form" in the Big 12.

I don't write them down when I see them, but give me some time and I'll find you 12. I'll give you off the top of my head: Dunn, Aldrich, most Mizzou players not named Kim English, Denis Clemente, Bryan Davis.

You're wrong about Dunn and Clemente.  They don't get much elevation, but their form isn't "miserable/weird".  Never seen Bryan Davis shoot anything beyond 3 ft, so can't comment.

You didn't ask for "miserable/weird," you asked for "bad form." A set shot (Clems and Dunn) is bad form, technically speaking.

As for Aldrich and Davis, watch their FTs.

Why is a set shot bad form? The ball should be held somewhere above your right eye, not too high though. Your legs should be in rhythm with your arms so your release is finished at the peak of your jump. Elbow should be in at around a 90 degree angle, give or take 10 or 15 degree, not going to be a stickler. Should be a straight line form from your head to your toes w/ a SLIGHT lean backwards allowed in the upper body. You should have your finger tips on the ball and not your palm, snap your shooting hand forward and follow through. Make sure you're square with the rim, unless going to your off hand side. I don't see anything wrong with Clemente's form or Dunn's form in this respect. Sutton's biggest problem, besides confidence, is rhythm. A guy like that should explode vertically and release at the peak. Instead when Sutton comes off a screen he gains all this energy and momentum of that screen or whatever he may be doing to gain that energy and when he catches the ball, he shuts down, slows down, and tries to guide it up, instead of exploding towards the rim. No rhythm at all.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2010, 10:26:41 AM »
Because a set shot limits your ability to get your shot off in the first place.

Offline bleedpurple

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2010, 10:39:09 AM »
No, no it doesn't. Dunn and Clemente are two of the best shooters in the big 12 and you're telling us they have trouble getting their shot off. Where a set shot lacks in height of release it makes up for in how quickly you can get it off. Dunn and Clemente can their shot off quick so there is no need for extra elevation. Anyone Jamar's height doesn't need to elevate, the ball is already 7 or 8 ft above the ground before they release it. And just because it is more difficult to get a shot off, doesn't mean that it is "bad form". That doesn't make sense, you should reword that probably.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2010, 10:42:46 AM »

:powerespect:

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2010, 10:47:02 AM »
No, no it doesn't. Dunn and Clemente are two of the best shooters in the big 12 and you're telling us they have trouble getting their shot off. Where a set shot lacks in height of release it makes up for in how quickly you can get it off. Dunn and Clemente can their shot off quick so there is no need for extra elevation. Anyone Jamar's height doesn't need to elevate, the ball is already 7 or 8 ft above the ground before they release it. And just because it is more difficult to get a shot off, doesn't mean that it is "bad form". That doesn't make sense, you should reword that probably.

I didn't say I had a problem with their shots, I said technically speaking, it isn't how coaches would teach you to shoot.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2010, 10:54:40 AM »
B.E.E.F.

Ball
Elbow
Eye
Feet

Not what I was talking about at all.

Offline bleedpurple

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2010, 10:57:13 AM »

I didn't say I had a problem with their shots, I said technically speaking, it isn't how coaches would teach you to shoot.

Not really. They teach you to shoot that way in grade school then you develop your personal shot from that, one that works for you. Around Jr. High they might suggest a jump shot because you become strong enough around that time to shoot that way, but in 3 years of college ball, not one person said anything to anyone, jump shooters or set shooters how they should shoot while I was there. Coaches prefer that you put the ball in the hole regardless.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2010, 11:05:49 AM »

Even if this was true, and I have no idea what the consensus among coaches on this would be, WGAF? 

Lots of coaches believe in all kinds of ridiculous stuff that doesn't help their teams win, from shooting too many mid-range jumpers, to under utilizing zone defenses, to burning most of the shot clock in late game situs when the opponent will be given equal or greater time to your team to actually convert.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2010, 11:12:31 AM »
who cares about the form of a guy's free throw shot, it doesn't matter.  the only reason form matters at all is because you don't have time to think about all the stuff you need to think about when shooting j's so you need to limit/control all variables and shoot without needing to think about it  -hence the need for good and repetitive form.  

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2010, 11:14:08 AM »
who cares about the form of a guy's free throw shot, it doesn't matter.  the only reason form matters at all is because you don't have time to think about all the stuff you need to think about when shooting j's so you need to limit/control all variables and shoot without needing to think about it  -hence the need for good and repetitive form.  

I like it when people answer their own questions.  Makes for efficient message boarding.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2010, 11:21:39 AM »
even better when posters read the post before responding to it. 

j's vs ft's.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2010, 11:30:24 AM »
limit/control all variables and shoot without needing to think about it

This is applicable to both fts and js.  Also, pitching, bowling, throwing darts, shooting pool, curling, putting.... 

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2010, 11:35:36 AM »
Around Jr. High they might suggest a jump shot because you become strong enough around that time to shoot that way, but in 3 years of college ball, not one person said anything to anyone, jump shooters or set shooters how they should shoot while I was there.

Mechanics are formed in middle school, you don't jack with them at this level.

:dunno:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2010, 11:38:23 AM »
this thread makes my head hurt.  (and I know it's my fault).

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2010, 12:10:22 PM »

And I even entered this thread by agreeing with you on Dom. Damn you and your magnetic posting style.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2010, 12:10:57 PM »

And I even entered this thread by agreeing with you on Dom. Damn you and your magnetic posting style.

Rusty is the kietz of message boarding.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2010, 12:17:23 PM »

Rusty is the kietz of message boarding.

Great comparo.

Offline bleedpurple

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2010, 12:22:03 PM »
Around Jr. High they might suggest a jump shot because you become strong enough around that time to shoot that way, but in 3 years of college ball, not one person said anything to anyone, jump shooters or set shooters how they should shoot while I was there.

So your point is? Clemente doesn't have bad form and they really don't prefer a certain shot?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2010, 12:22:17 PM »
limit/control all variables and shoot without needing to think about it

This is applicable to both fts and js.  Also, pitching, bowling, throwing darts, shooting pool, curling, putting....  
sure it does, but ft's and j's aren't the same.  i think.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2010, 12:35:12 PM »
There is no "good" form or "bad" form. Consistency is all that matters.  If you consistently make shots using "bad" form then is it really "bad" form, or just unique.  Inconsistent form is what leads to bad shooting.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2010, 01:10:12 PM »
There is no "good" form or "bad" form. Consistency is all that matters.  If you consistently make shots using "bad" form then is it really "bad" form, or just unique.  Inconsistent form is what leads to bad shooting.

It is easier to be more consistent if you use proper form.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2010, 01:11:59 PM »

So your point is?

I said the exact same thing you did. :dunno: