Author Topic: Stock Market Thread  (Read 19555 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Stock Market Thread
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2012, 06:01:28 PM »
buy index funds, pay next to no fees

go cats

Offline shivvyman

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Combo-Fan
  • Hates All Races Equally
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2012, 06:03:59 PM »
Cramer loves.....

see

The guy may act like a raving lunatic, but he's no slouch. He averaged a 24.5% annual return on the hedge fund he managed for 14 years. If your portolio tops those returns, you're a better man than me.

I'm just trying to give you honest advice here.  I can see what you are doing and why and I can tell you it's like throwing darts (or worse with the cramer mention).  take it fwiw or don't.  I don't give a crap.

Do you see value investing as throwing darts? Not being sarcastic.

Offline shivvyman

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2012, 06:04:46 PM »

go cats

Solid.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2012, 06:10:09 PM »
Cramer loves.....

see

The guy may act like a raving lunatic, but he's no slouch. He averaged a 24.5% annual return on the hedge fund he managed for 14 years. If your portolio tops those returns, you're a better man than me.

I'm just trying to give you honest advice here.  I can see what you are doing and why and I can tell you it's like throwing darts (or worse with the cramer mention).  take it fwiw or don't.  I don't give a crap.

Do you see value investing as throwing darts? Not being sarcastic.

not at all.  but investing in a stock because it is going to split into two separate companies or because it has just announced a non-usual dividend is.  and following jim rough ridin' cramer is worse then throwing darts. 

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2012, 08:53:52 PM »
Pro tip: by the time any information gets to you, it's already priced into the stock. You're just a sheep. So you either think you're better at valuing stocks than the guys managing billions of dollars with decades of experience and education and an army of analysts or you're banking on pure luck. Either way you're a rough ridin' idiot.

/thread
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2012, 09:13:56 PM »
Pro tip: by the time any information gets to you, it's already priced into the stock. You're just a sheep

yeah, in other words

Offline EuroCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2012, 08:13:08 AM »

go cats
All of my non-retirement investments are in the Vanguard S&P 500 index fund ETF. Up about 4% in just a couple months.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2012, 01:11:57 PM »
Pro tip: by the time any information gets to you, it's already priced into the stock. You're just a sheep.

bullshit.  the efficient market theory is utter crap.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2012, 01:24:35 PM »
Pro tip: by the time any information gets to you, it's already priced into the stock. You're just a sheep.

is in-depth research of a company's fundamentals the solution or is all stock market investing bullshit?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2012, 02:46:55 PM »

is in-depth research of a company's fundamentals the solution or is all stock market investing bullshit?

no. invest in what you know.  best way to get ahead.  if you are an expert in value dining and you enjoy the crap out of some value dining destination then buy it.  if you know the railroad industry like the back of your hand and have worked in it your entire life amongst various companies then buy railroad stocks.  ultimately, you being a dumbass and not knowing what the hell you are experiencing or knowing is the barrier at that point.  but, if you are smart, you will get ahead.  also don't buy the company you work for because even kind of smart people will get bullshitted into thinking the place is doing well (obviously doesn't apply to really smart people here). 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »

neither.  when i said the efficient market theory is bullshit, what i meant was, the efficient market theory is bullshit.  sorry for the confusion.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 30, 2012, 09:41:55 PM »

go cats

Why buy all the bad with the good?  Seems like a loser approach. 

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 30, 2012, 11:04:05 PM »

go cats

because knowing the bad from the good is the whole....nevermind keep doing what you're doing.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2012, 07:59:26 AM »
sd said it best when he basically said, "Invest in what you know, like, and are happy with." That also holds true in the investment advice department...take the advice that addresses your style of investing, try to learn a little bit from somebody who invests differently than you do.
Outside of retirement investing, I still invest long term and do not worry about making a buck or two quick. I also invest in companies that have a solid history of paying dividends.
At some point, I'd like to better understand investing in currency. I think that would be interesting because it would likely keep you very up to date on foreign issues- both political and social.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2012, 08:11:58 AM »
I think the best strategy is to be patient. I don't have a whole lot of experience here (only ever owned 1 stock) but I did just sell Apple last week for a 7000% gain, over about 15 years.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2012, 08:28:50 AM »
When I read an article like this, it makes me want to buy facebook stock.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2012, 08:34:20 AM »

no. invest in what you know.  best way to get ahead.  if you are an expert in value dining and you enjoy the crap out of some value dining destination then buy it.  if you know the railroad industry like the back of your hand and have worked in it your entire life amongst various companies then buy railroad stocks.  ultimately, you being a dumbass and not knowing what the hell you are experiencing or knowing is the barrier at that point.  but, if you are smart, you will get ahead.  also don't buy the company you work for because even kind of smart people will get bullshitted into thinking the place is doing well (obviously doesn't apply to really smart people here). 

wall street 101 right here folks.  professor bud fox in the house.  bud knew the airline industry after watching his dad toil away for years as a maintenance foreman at Bluestar and president of the machinists' union.  easy money. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2012, 08:36:39 AM »

go cats

because knowing the bad from the good is the whole....nevermind keep doing what you're doing.

My point is knowing the bad from the good isn't all that difficult.  And with the onset of ETF's I think index funds are dinosaurs waiting for the inevitable ice age.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2012, 09:47:46 AM »

wall street Wall Street 101 right here folks.  professor bud fox in the house.  bud knew the airline industry after watching his dad toil away for years as a maintenance foreman at Bluestar and president of the machinists' union.  easy money.
:lol: fyp
:adios:

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2012, 09:54:43 AM »
I think the best strategy is to be patient. I don't have a whole lot of experience here (only ever owned 1 stock) but I did just sell Apple last week for a 7000% gain, over about 15 years.
Please tell me you purchased $10k worth 15 years ago. I am happy for you, but I want to be very happy for you.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2012, 10:10:38 AM »
Please tell me you purchased $10k worth 15 years ago. I am happy for you, but I want to be very happy for you.

No, only $800. Where is a 14 year old kid going to find $10k?

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2012, 10:33:41 AM »

i don't believe what i posted. i was just trying to disagree with sys and drunkenly overreached.

i'm not familiar with any sector so i buy mutual funds and what i like. i never trade and i rarely look at the account. my roth is composed of two vanguard index funds, apple, and google.

Offline shivvyman

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 07, 2012, 03:11:26 PM »
Normally I'm not into penny stocks, but I've been passed some good info. Still researching myself, but upside is huge.

EPGLD.

Recently restructured. New business model. Holds patent for FDA approved medical device that could be a staple in years to come....

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 07, 2012, 03:14:10 PM »
Normally I'm not into penny stocks, but I've been passed some good info. Still researching myself, but upside is huge.

EPGLD.

Recently restructured. New business model. Holds patent for FDA approved medical device that could be a staple in years to come....

shivvyman, if you would like me to save you from rough ridin' yourself over continually for the rest of your life you know where to find me.

Offline shivvyman

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2012, 03:16:11 PM »

EPGLD.

shivvyman, if you would like me to save you from rough ridin' yourself over continually for the rest of your life you know where to find me.

Steve,

Are you a clown?

Sincerely,

Shivvyman