Author Topic: Stock Market Thread  (Read 19426 times)

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: Stock Market Thread
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2012, 08:59:53 AM »
I'm sure Rams is one of the good ones but 99% of financial advisors are dumbasses who don't know crap about investments.  Just a fwiw.

Correct. I used to work for a company that sold study materials to people becoming finacial advisors...Their only job is to sell you investment packages the home office had come up with.

Very good advice from rams here

wait until you have over $100k in investments and then go find a real financial advisor

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2012, 09:03:58 AM »
I'm sure Rams is one of the good ones but 99% of financial advisors are dumbasses who don't know crap about investments.  Just a fwiw.
:thumbs:

hey Rams, what about coal stocks? they've basically been cut in half over the past year, good time to buy?
for 99.999999% of the population (including financial "advisors" and "experts") trying to beat the market is a fool's game.  if something has been cut in half, there's a reason it's been cut in half.  placing bets on individual sectors or stocks is just that, a bet.  unless you have proprietary "insider" information, you're just along for the ride.  in this day and age, the overwhelming majority of investments available to the public are accurately priced at any given time.

read: the most important thing by howard marks
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2012, 09:07:55 AM »
:thumbs:

hey Rams, what about coal stocks? they've basically been cut in half over the past year, good time to buy?
for 99.999999% of the population (including financial "advisors" and "experts") trying to beat the market is a fool's game.  if something has been cut in half, there's a reason it's been cut in half.  placing bets on individual sectors or stocks is just that, a bet.  unless you have proprietary "insider" information, you're just along for the ride.  in this day and age, the overwhelming majority of investments available to the public are accurately priced at any given time.

read: the most important thing by howard marks

FSD?  Seriously?  This is the best FSD bait I've seen.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2012, 09:29:55 AM »
That was for that date. Now, my buy-in would be lower.

this is the most Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) thing ever.  what do you even mean?  what changed with respect to facebook's inherent value between last wednesday and right now?  jesus christ.

Nothing changed with its inherent value but a whole bunch of people have learned since then that its inherent value is actually much lower than they thought it was. I don't blame dobber for backing off his arbitrary $26 buy-in level, but setting a new level at $24 doesn't make much sense.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2012, 11:29:14 AM »

this is the most Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) thing ever.  what do you even mean?  what changed with respect to facebook's inherent value between last wednesday and right now?  jesus christ.

I think it is pretty difficult to say what the inherent value of FB is. I think it is largely based on what people think of it. I figured it would gradually come down to 26 over a couple of months. It is getting there so fricking quick that it scares me, and makes me think I thought it was worth more than what it is. Everybody that bought it at 38 also valued it incorrectly, no? Sorry for saying the most Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) thing ever.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2012, 11:58:50 AM »

I think it is pretty difficult to say what the inherent value of FB is. I think it is largely based on what people think of it.

hey tim geithner, take it easy on us plebs.  i don't think we're ready for these deep economic dimes you're dropping on us.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2012, 12:06:49 PM »

I think it is pretty difficult to say what the inherent value of FB is. I think it is largely based on what people think of it.

hey tim geithner, take it easy on us plebs.  i don't think we're ready for these deep economic dimes you're dropping on us.
[/quote]
Sorry about that, I'll tone it down a bit.  :frown:
I didn't think it was that stupid to change my opinion on what I think FB is worth.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2012, 12:30:17 PM »
GSK to pay $3BB in charges for fraud. Stock is up 1.6%. Sounds about right.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2012, 03:35:40 PM »
This is my investment strategy, I am preparing to nut up and try it.
-Find the cheapest possible stock.
-Buy as much as I can.
-Hope it goes up.
-Get rich.

This worked astoundingly in my 8th grade stock market economy simulation.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2012, 03:54:03 PM »
This is my investment strategy, I am preparing to nut up and try it.
-Buy as much as I can.
-Hope it goes up.
-Get rich.

This worked astoundingly in my 8th grade stock market economy simulation.
Sounds reasonable. I'd modify a bit with the following:
-Buy as much as I can.
-Watch it go up. (confidence helps?)
-Sell it. (Might be the toughest thing to do? I mean, crap, you just made $12MM, why not ride it out for another couple million $?)
-Get rich.

Offline shivvyman

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Combo-Fan
  • Hates All Races Equally
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2012, 06:00:52 PM »
Buy: Costco - This retailer is pure gold. Great business model. Will not be taken over by the online world. Here to stay.
       eBay - Owners of PayPal. Good chance of this company splitting up at some point and PayPal stock taking off.

Hold: Sprint - So long as they offer unlimited data plans, they are easily identifiable from their competitors. Nextel needs to be dumped and they eventually need to earn a buck. Stock is cheap as hell, but they are up 20% today. Wait for the pullback and buy.

Stocks that Make Me Look Stupid: Bought Sara Lee a while back because they were going to offer a special $3 dividend on each share (shares were trading around $20-$23) once the company split into two separate entities. Company split, received divident, and have watched both stocks suck ass.

What's everyone else's most recent purchase or soon to be purchase?

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2012, 09:11:34 PM »
FNF- Fidelity National Financial. Provides title related products and services. Just bought some.

Offline shivvyman

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2012, 10:49:07 AM »
FNF- Fidelity National Financial. Provides title related products and services. Just bought some.

Where is the upside? Did a little scan of the yearly charts and dividend history.....nothing spectacular.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2012, 11:04:40 AM »

Where is the upside? Did a little scan of the yearly charts and dividend history.....nothing spectacular.

just a fwiw, your strategy of buying stocks because they may later split or have announced a dividend is a loser. 

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2012, 11:29:18 AM »
I wish this was a Super Market Thread instead.

I remember coming home from school and would love watching Super Market Sweep. Great times in my life.

/thread jack
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2012, 11:33:13 AM »
I've been trading the Greece and Spain ETF's, just short stuff with tight stops.

I'm long on some gold ETF's and some gold miners.  I just moved up my stops and think those will get sold soon.  Want to have some cash for some better entry points coming.

Offline shivvyman

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2012, 11:50:04 AM »

just a fwiw, your strategy of buying stocks because they may later split or have announced a dividend is a loser.

Read my post again, dumbass. I'm not referring to a '2-for-1' split, I'm talking about a company breaking into two separate entities.

If you don't think a high yielding consistent dividend is worth noting when examining a stock, we can't even have an intelligent debate.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2012, 11:56:14 AM »

shivvyman, I want to tell you a story.
I don't actually think steve dave likes me because I am not a very good bbs'r, but he is still my friend. If you call my friend a dumbass, then you are not my friend and I cannot share with you where the super secret insidery info is on FNF that makes it have one of the biggest upsides in the history of upsides.
The end.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2012, 01:11:26 PM »

Read my post again, dumbass. I'm not referring to a '2-for-1' split, I'm talking about a company breaking into two separate entities.

If you don't think a high yielding consistent dividend is worth noting when examining a stock, we can't even have an intelligent debate.

yeah, I know exactly what you meant and it's a loser.  kind of first day investing stuff here. 

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2012, 01:24:32 PM »
I wish this was a Super Market Thread instead.

I remember coming home from school and would love watching Super Market Sweep. Great times in my life.

/thread jack

my god, what a great trip down memory lane, applejack.

i remember a big fat lady fell one time while doing that final "run through and grab a bunch of stuff" game.  it was hilarious, because she was fat.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2012, 01:39:33 PM »
I basically just watch stocks of companies I know, but don't have any skin (money) in the game, Chipotle just dropped like 20% a couple weeks ago, I would think it would be a good time to pick up some of that. If I'm wrong please explain why so I can learn some stuff and become super rich. TIA.
I'm purple down

Offline shivvyman

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2012, 04:31:08 PM »
I basically just watch stocks of companies I know, but don't have any skin (money) in the game, Chipotle just dropped like 20% a couple weeks ago, I would think it would be a good time to pick up some of that. If I'm wrong please explain why so I can learn some stuff and become super rich. TIA.

Cramer loves him some Chipotle. Loyal employies, health conscious, 'green' friendly (not like I give a crap, but others do), and plenty of room for market expansion/growth.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2012, 05:01:24 PM »

Offline shivvyman

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2012, 05:54:49 PM »
Cramer loves.....

see

The guy may act like a raving lunatic, but he's no slouch. He averaged a 24.5% annual return on the hedge fund he managed for 14 years. If your portolio tops those returns, you're a better man than me.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2012, 05:56:51 PM »
Cramer loves.....

see

The guy may act like a raving lunatic, but he's no slouch. He averaged a 24.5% annual return on the hedge fund he managed for 14 years. If your portolio tops those returns, you're a better man than me.

I'm just trying to give you honest advice here.  I can see what you are doing and why and I can tell you it's like throwing darts (or worse with the cramer mention).  take it fwiw or don't.  I don't give a crap.