Author Topic: Stock Market Thread  (Read 19539 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Stock Market Thread
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2012, 08:14:57 AM »
I hope none of you guys bought Facebook.

what, you don't think it's worth its hundred billion valuation?  pffftttt.  loaded up on linked in while I was there (saw a linked in mini mall brick and mortar location and about tore my pants trying to get my phone out of my pocket to throw puts at that pile of garbage)

That's good. I knew I wouldn't have to worry about you. Some of these other guys, though. . .

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2012, 08:24:03 AM »

what, you don't think it's worth its hundred billion valuation?  pffftttt.  loaded up on linked in while I was there (saw a linked in mini mall brick and mortar location and about tore my pants trying to get my phone out of my pocket to throw puts at that pile of garbage)

That's good. I knew I wouldn't have to worry about you. Some of these other guys, though. . .
I wonder if Elmer or whatever that goofball on GPC ever got his shares bought. (P.S. I did not buy FB. I would buy at 26.)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2012, 08:33:42 AM »
How has fake sugar dick not come in here to school us with his 12% annual returns (after fees)?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2012, 08:36:30 AM »
my retirement mix:

50% Vanguard Total World Stock Index
25% S&P 500 Index
25% Emerging Markets Stock Index

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2012, 08:38:20 AM »
my retirement mix:

25% S&P 500 Index

you seem like the type that would benefit from a target retirement date fund my friend

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2012, 08:39:43 AM »
my retirement mix:

25% S&P 500 Index

you seem like the type that would benefit from a target retirement date fund my friend

Would it be any better than that?  I am clueless, but curious.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2012, 08:43:49 AM »
my retirement mix:

25% S&P 500 Index

The thing I don't like about target retirement date funds is that they start throwing money into bonds when you are in your 30's. I don't want any of my money in bonds until I am about 60 and already retired, and then it will only be about 10-15%. I know you can always move the money to a further out retirement date and keep most of it out of bonds, but I just avoid them completely.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2012, 08:45:59 AM »
my retirement mix:

25% S&P 500 Index

The thing I don't like about target retirement date funds is that they start throwing money into bonds when you are in your 30's. I don't want any of my money in bonds until I am about 60 and already retired, and then it will only be about 10-15%. I know you can always move the money to a further out retirement date and keep most of it out of bonds, but I just avoid them completely.

man, you are lucky you weren't in your 60s 10 years ago.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2012, 09:03:03 AM »
my retirement mix:

25% S&P 500 Index

man, you are lucky you weren't in your 60s 10 years ago.
If you make it to 60, you will likely make it to 90. As long as you have enough money to live well on, losing 30-40% won't kill you and your nest egg will recover considerably better if you are invested in mutual funds vs. bonds. Over the course of 30 years, I'll keep the lions share of my money in the market- my kids and grandkids will thank me for it later. Now, if you only have exactly enough saved for retirement and can't afford to lose any, then hell yes, go with bonds or other safer investments.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2012, 09:59:48 PM »
Anyone buying uranium miners?  I am super tempted right now.  Next good dip.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2012, 02:21:56 PM »
fellas, i'm looking at putting upwards of $20 into the stock market.  How do i make millions?  tia

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2012, 02:24:07 PM »

I wonder if Elmer or whatever that goofball on GPC ever got his shares bought. (P.S. I did not buy FB. I would buy at 26.)

FB looks like it could hit 26 by the end of the week. Are you still planning on buying at 26?

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2012, 02:27:55 PM »
fellas, i'm looking at putting upwards of $20 into the stock market.  How do i make millions?  tia
:pray:

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2012, 02:30:57 PM »

FB looks like it could hit 26 by the end of the week. Are you still planning on buying at 26?
That was for that date. Now, my buy-in would be lower. It is looking like garbage right now. I don't think it will get to 20, but maybe hold off until 24. I don't know that I'll buy, but if I do, I'll let you know.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2012, 09:26:18 PM »
If you were 26 and starting a Roth IRA right now would you invest a  portion of it in international funds? My wife's financial advisor says not to right now because of the instability, my line of thought is what better time to buy than when everyone else is running scared?
I'm purple down

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2012, 09:40:50 PM »
If you were 26 and starting a Roth IRA right now would you invest a  portion of it in international funds? My wife's financial advisor says not to right now because of the instability, my line of thought is what better time to buy than when everyone else is running scared?

My roommates and I were talking yesterday and we're going to invest in Facebook. Selling everything we own, including the beer in the fridge and the house that we are currently renting.

Will post update in a few months from my private jet/yacht.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2012, 10:09:56 PM »

people aren't running scared of intl stocks in general.  your wife's financial advisor sounds like a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).  why does she even have one?  seems Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2012, 10:11:25 PM »
That was for that date. Now, my buy-in would be lower.

this is the most Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) thing ever.  what do you even mean?  what changed with respect to facebook's inherent value between last wednesday and right now?  jesus christ.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2012, 10:16:16 PM »
If you were 26 and starting a Roth IRA right now would you invest a  portion of it in international funds?
yes.  absolutely.

My wife's financial advisor says not to right now because of the instability
he's an idiot but he wants everybody to think he's really smart.  run away.  (not like funny ha ha run away...seriously run the eff away and find a different "financial advisor" because he's a moron)

my line of thought is what better time to buy than when everyone else is running scared?
trust your instincts.  :thumbs:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2012, 10:29:03 PM »
Kind of what I thought, I'll probably just move her Roth over to vanguard and get a variety of index funds
I'm purple down

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2012, 10:34:56 PM »
Kind of what I thought, I'll probably just move her Roth over to vanguard and get a variety of index funds
as a financial advisor, I can tell you this is your best move.  open a schwab account, buy some domestic and international index funds or etfs, and wait until you have over $100k in investments and then go find a real financial advisor...not somebody that wants to sell you crap.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2012, 08:25:48 AM »

I'm not much older than that and about 25% of my investment is in international funds. The percentage would probably be higher, but I'm required to put all of my employer match in a guaranteed 3% fund until the match becomes fully vested.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2012, 08:39:35 AM »
I'm sure Rams is one of the good ones but 99% of financial advisors are dumbasses who don't know crap about investments.  Just a fwiw. 

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2012, 08:41:43 AM »
hey Rams, what about coal stocks? they've basically been cut in half over the past year, good time to buy?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2012, 08:49:56 AM »
I am a financial advisor and doing very well. I'm not scanning my rough ridin' paycheck, lol