Author Topic: European Club Soccer Thread! (EPL, Champions League, Europa, etc... :D )  (Read 1331575 times)

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Sporting KC
« Reply #225 on: November 01, 2011, 09:28:48 PM »
wow i had no idea they did total goals (and not away goals as tiebreaker) in the playoffs - i've never noticed that anywhere.  do any other leagues do it this way?

The promotion playoffs in England for the lower leagues don't have away goals as tiebreakers. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 01, 2011, 09:33:36 PM »
mumped up how the #1 seed starts out on the road. Seems like a good time for the home team to take control of the series.

No, in 2 legged knock out it's more of an advantage to play the 2nd leg at home. It's based off the aggregate score, and goals scored in the away game count as the tiebreaker. So if we lose 3-2 away and but win 2-1 at home we would advance 4-4 having scored 2 away goals to their 1. Not sure if this is the case in MLS playoffs. Plus in the second leg you know what score you need to advance if you lose the first leg, and you have the home crowd behind you.
Actually it's different for the MLS Playoffs than basically any other cup I've ever heard of. Away goals don't weigh any more than home goals. It's all about total goals. I think the tiebreaker is just a third game played.

jfc people, where do you come up with this stuff?  :facepalm:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/competition-rules-and-regulations
Announcers on Fox Soccer Channel. Go eff yourself btw.  :D
EDIT: Also, the link you posted has this included dumbass:
The four Conference Semifinals will be decided by two-game aggregate series, with the lower seed hosting the first leg and the higher seed hosting the second leg. If the aggregate score is tied after 180 minutes of play, two 15-minute extra time periods will be played in their entirety, followed by penalty kicks, if necessary. The two Conference Championships will be single games hosted by the higher seed. MLS Cup will again be a single championship match hosted at a predetermined site to be announced at a later date.
In other words, LHarKSUCat was right.

I was agreeing with LHarKSUCat. I was facepalming you tards that brought up the weighted away goal, which does not exist in MLS playoffs, and especially the mystery 3rd game tiebreaker, which you completely made up.  Notice the text that I quoted. :facepalm: i mean, jfc dude. You are calling me a dumbass because the link I provided is correct?  :confused:
Me and Abe Froman follow European soccer, so that's why we thought the away goal rule existed. Sorry for not being an expert on rough ridin' MLS playoffs rules. :jerk: And I thought I heard the Fox Soccer announcers say something about a third game tiebreaker, but they clearly just said two fifteen minute extra time periods. You do realize that MLS is a terribly run organization. There shouldn't even be an Eastern and Western Conference. It should just be a table of eighteen.

good for you and abe froman. maybe you should marry european soccer if you love it so much. seriously though, your argument would be like me making fun of an nfl fan because i didn't know that there was a kickoff in nfl overtime and that the game could end without each team getting the ball. don't be a dumbass just because you like and watch one more than the other.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 01, 2011, 10:21:45 PM »
I BELIEVE
I BELIEVE
I BELIEVE THAT
I BELIEVE THAT
I BELIEVE THAT WE
I BELIEVE THAT WE
I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN!

:love:  :love:
I'm purple down

Offline broXcore

• Katpak'r
  • cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 02, 2011, 07:20:31 AM »
I BELIEVE
I BELIEVE
I BELIEVE THAT
I BELIEVE THAT
I BELIEVE THAT WE
I BELIEVE THAT WE

:love:  :love:
:emawkid: <--- except with sporting blue

Offline LHarKSUCat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 02, 2011, 09:03:55 AM »
mumped up how the #1 seed starts out on the road. Seems like a good time for the home team to take control of the series.

No, in 2 legged knock out it's more of an advantage to play the 2nd leg at home. It's based off the aggregate score, and goals scored in the away game count as the tiebreaker. So if we lose 3-2 away and but win 2-1 at home we would advance 4-4 having scored 2 away goals to their 1. Not sure if this is the case in MLS playoffs. Plus in the second leg you know what score you need to advance if you lose the first leg, and you have the home crowd behind you.
Actually it's different for the MLS Playoffs than basically any other cup I've ever heard of. Away goals don't weigh any more than home goals. It's all about total goals. I think the tiebreaker is just a third game played.

jfc people, where do you come up with this stuff?  :facepalm:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/competition-rules-and-regulations
Announcers on Fox Soccer Channel. Go eff yourself btw.  :D
EDIT: Also, the link you posted has this included dumbass:
The four Conference Semifinals will be decided by two-game aggregate series, with the lower seed hosting the first leg and the higher seed hosting the second leg. If the aggregate score is tied after 180 minutes of play, two 15-minute extra time periods will be played in their entirety, followed by penalty kicks, if necessary. The two Conference Championships will be single games hosted by the higher seed. MLS Cup will again be a single championship match hosted at a predetermined site to be announced at a later date.
In other words, LHarKSUCat was right.

:blush:  It's nice to be noticed

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 02, 2011, 02:59:10 PM »
Who's ready for some true football weather tonight? Cold, windy, rainy, chance of snow? Sounds like a great night for football in Newcastle!

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Sporting KC
« Reply #231 on: November 02, 2011, 10:05:21 PM »
Who's ready for some true football weather tonight? Cold, windy, rainy, chance of snow? Sounds like a great night for football in Newcastle!

holy crap that was not a warm & cozy time.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Sporting KC
« Reply #232 on: November 02, 2011, 10:06:39 PM »

holy crap that was not a warm & cozy time.

JFC, the wind.  Was soaked from the walk in, and the wind just mocked me the whole time.

Match was v awesome though.

Offline broXcore

• Katpak'r
  • cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 02, 2011, 10:11:31 PM »
god, that weather rough ridin' sucked, but great game

definitely a great atmosphere

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 03, 2011, 09:51:39 AM »
That was the coldest thing ever. However that $6 Sporting mug filled with half hot chocolate/half coffee was way worth it. Also, glad to see Zeus doing what he does best again.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 03, 2011, 10:30:44 AM »
The only part that sucked was the walk to and from the car. Inside was great, glad we built a roof over the stands.

Sunday is going to be 1000x better. Sunny and 60

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 03, 2011, 10:44:26 AM »
The only part that sucked was the walk to and from the car. Inside was great, glad we built a roof over the stands.

OOD BB.

Priorities.

Love me some Sporting, but Tivo will have to help me out w/ this one.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 03, 2011, 10:52:32 AM »

OOD BB.

Priorities.

BB game is at 1. Sporting KC is at 4:30, maybe 7. Both can be accomplished if you leave midway through the 2nd half.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 03, 2011, 11:06:37 AM »
 :cheers:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 03, 2011, 11:19:44 AM »

OOD BB.

Priorities.

BB game is at 1. Sporting KC is at 4:30, maybe 7. Both can be accomplished if you leave midway through the 2nd half.

What on earth?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: November 03, 2011, 12:53:59 PM »

OOD BB.

Priorities.

3:30 pm
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 12:18:24 PM by mocat »

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 03, 2011, 12:57:44 PM »
btw, if NY somehow picks up the road win tonight at LA, you'd have to think if SKC takes care of business against Houston/Philly (never lost to either team in the regular season), SKC will be the favorites in the MLS Cup championship vs RSL/NY  :excited:

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 06, 2011, 06:26:14 PM »
vermes just got clown suited.   haven't watched much of SKC this year.  are they always so wide?  houston just basically routed the SKC attackers into the least threatening positions the entire match and they did nothing different to try and get inside.  maybe the youth and inexperience of the front 3 of SKC are to blame.

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 06, 2011, 06:32:10 PM »
mls is unwatchable.  fake childish songs from 'supporters' and crap players.

if somehow mls could institute promotion/relegation then it might be worth watching.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 06, 2011, 06:33:48 PM »
vermes just got clown suited.   haven't watched much of SKC this year.  are they always so wide?  houston just basically routed the SKC attackers into the least threatening positions the entire match and they did nothing different to try and get inside.  maybe the youth and inexperience of the front 3 of SKC are to blame.

was bad. Zusi couldn't hold the ball at all in the middle, that certainly didn't help. Way way way too many dispossessions in the middle.  
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 06, 2011, 06:55:28 PM »
 :flush:

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 06, 2011, 07:30:53 PM »
mls is fine football watching - west more so than the east.  the improved atmosphere in places like LS park are fun to watch and listen to.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 06, 2011, 07:31:50 PM »
the packed schedule MLS imposes upon their clubs is the most disappointing aspect of the league

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 06, 2011, 09:06:36 PM »
good 1st half between la and salt lake.  1-1 after 45

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 06, 2011, 10:28:04 PM »
2nd half better than the 1st as galaxy score twice.  rsl hits the bar and forces galaxy keeper in two great saves.  what should be the mls cup final finishes la 3 rsl 1