Author Topic: NBA Playoffs Thread  (Read 246483 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Playoffs Thread
« Reply #950 on: July 02, 2012, 11:02:49 AM »
lebron is just some journeyman.

Yeah, I thought that was pretty great myself. Hopefully that talking point catches on.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: July 02, 2012, 02:29:47 PM »
It would also be more impressive if he did it with only four guys on the court at a time. The whole "superstars don't switch teams" thing makes no sense. Jordan was already in a good market and had a GM that surrounded him with talent. He didn't have to leave. Same with Magic and Bird. Lebron was in a shitty town playing for a GM that surrounded him with shitty talent. His GM was unable to get the necessary pieces for a title to come to Cleveland, so Lebron went to the pieces. Superstars don't make teams. GMs do.

And what title teams aren't "loaded with talent?" Is Magic less impressive because he played with Kareem and Worthy? Kobe because he had Shaq? Bird because he had McHale, Parrish, etc?

The whole "players should stay with their original small town teams and try to win titles" thing just reeks of kstateo.

Lebron was taking that Cavs team to the NBA finals. Is it that far-fetched to think that they were only one player away and that as young as Lebron is, it was far more likely that he would have ended up with a few championships in Cleveland than not? I don't care if it reeks of K-Stateo. Michael Jordan was the Bulls. Kobe is the Lakers. Paul Pierce is the Celtics. Kevin Durant is the Thunder. Lebron was the Cavs. Now he is just some journeyman.

BTW, I absolutely loved "the decision" and wish that everyone who switches teams would do something like that. It's really the only reason I don't absolutely hate Lebron's guts right now.

One player away? Maybe. But that one player was not Antawn Jameson or sideshow bob, and that's who their Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) GM got. Rather than thinking of them as one player away from a title, think of them of as one player away from a 9-win season (or whatever). Because that's what they were when one player (Lebron) left. That tells they were a crap roster of C+/B- players. Lebron should have all the respect in the world for physically dragging that laundry bag of bad news bears to a final.

Jordan was only able to be the Bulls because the piece were brought to him (Pippen, Grant, Kukoc, Rodman, Kerr, Paxon, etc). Paul Pierce is the Celtics because two other superstars "Lebroned" their shitty small market teams so they could go to a "team loaded with talent" and "finally get a ring".

Kobe and LA? Really? You want to compare Kobe's sweet set-up at the most desirable free-agent destination in the league with the greatest coach of all time and constant revolving door of elite, prime-years talent to the clown factory Lebron was shivering through in Cleveland? And OKC just proves another point about the good fortune of having a GM who surrounds you with talent (although it's also ironic since the team itself Lebroned another city).
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: July 02, 2012, 02:33:43 PM »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: July 02, 2012, 03:19:53 PM »
Jordan was only able to be the Bulls because the piece were brought to him (Pippen, Grant, Kukoc, Rodman, Kerr, Paxon, etc).

LOL at this example.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: July 02, 2012, 03:50:50 PM »
LeBron and Jordan both won their first title at age 27 but LeBron was able to take his team to the finals before Jordan did.

James > Jordan

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: July 02, 2012, 03:54:54 PM »
LeBron and Jordan both won their first title at age 27 but LeBron was able to take his team to the finals before Jordan did.

James > Jordan

Jordan finished with 6 rings, though, and is still hands down the most beloved basketball player of all time. More people hate Lebron than embrace him, and that will never change.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: July 02, 2012, 04:40:39 PM »
Guarantee that changes if he wins 5 more titles.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: July 02, 2012, 04:50:15 PM »

James > Jordan

Jordan finished with 6 rings, though, and is still hands down the most beloved basketball player of all time. More people hate Lebron than embrace him, and that will never change.
and MJ is has done nothing but hurt his rep after leaving the bulls (not succeeding at the Wizards as a player and GM, the failing in Charlotte, the jerky HoF acceptance speech, etc) but he is still more beloved than LBJ. 

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: July 02, 2012, 04:51:57 PM »

James > Jordan

and MJ is has done nothing but hurt his rep after leaving the bulls (not succeeding at the Wizards as a player and GM, the failing in Charlotte, the jerky HoF acceptance speech, etc) but he is still more beloved than LBJ.

To be fair to LBJ, Jordan is still far more beloved than any other player ever. It's pretty remarkable, really.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: July 02, 2012, 04:52:13 PM »
James' problem is that people loved Jordan not just for his on-court heroics, but the wholesome, family-friendly, all-around likable nature of his lifestyle.

Plus, he wasn't a quitter. He never left his team high and dry to pursue any selfish whims.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: July 02, 2012, 04:53:29 PM »

James > Jordan

To be fair to LBJ, Jordan is still far more beloved than any other player ever. It's pretty remarkable, really.

This is all semantics. Bottom line: if Lebron is not more successful AND more loved than Jordan, than his entire life is an embarrassing failure.

Bottom line.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: July 02, 2012, 04:54:51 PM »
James' problem is that people loved Jordan not just for his on-court heroics, but the wholesome, family-friendly, all-around likable nature of his lifestyle.

Plus, he wasn't a quitter. He never left his team high and dry to pursue any selfish whims.

James has done nothing off the court to make people believe he isn't wholesome, family-friendly, or all-around likable. People say "the decision" turned them off, but the problem was Lebron leaving in the first place. If Jordan had gone 10 seasons without a title, then left to join Patrick Ewing and the Knicks, people would not think about him in the same light they do now, even if he had ended up with 10 rings.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: July 02, 2012, 04:55:45 PM »

James > Jordan

This is all semantics. Bottom line: if Lebron is not more successful AND more loved than Jordan, than his entire life is an embarrassing failure.

Bottom line.

It's sad, but true. Lebron is destined for failure, barring some miracle.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: July 02, 2012, 05:04:18 PM »
See, Lebron's great miscalculation ("the decision") failed because it never considered how much Americans loved Cleveland and wished that they themselves could spend their lives their working tirelessly toward the promise of never quite succeeding and then being blamed for everything.

What an bad person.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: July 02, 2012, 07:25:08 PM »
See, Lebron's great miscalculation ("the decision") failed because it never considered how much Americans loved Cleveland and wished that they themselves could spend their lives their working tirelessly toward the promise of never quite succeeding and then being blamed for everything.

What an bad person.

It's not about a love for Cleveland. It's about people believing that if Lebron were really as good as advertised, he would have been able to win his championships anywhere.

Also, the Lebron hate existed before he left Cleveland, but it was nothing like it is now. Lebron wasn't being blamed for anything. He was being praised for taking a bunch of nobodies to the NBA finals.

"The Decision" wasn't the problem. If Lebron had created the hoopla to announce he was staying in Cleveland, I don't think he would have nearly as many haters. People don't hate him for "The Decision". They hate him because he left to go play with Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh. Most people just point to "The Decision" because they don't want to admit the truth.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 07:28:17 PM by Nuts Kicked »

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: July 02, 2012, 07:39:31 PM »

What an bad person.

It's not about a love for Cleveland. It's about people believing that if Lebron were really as good as advertised, he would have been able to win his championships anywhere.

Also, the Lebron hate existed before he left Cleveland, but it was nothing like it is now. Lebron wasn't being blamed for anything. He was being praised for taking a bunch of nobodies to the NBA finals.

"The Decision" wasn't the problem. If Lebron had created the hoopla to announce he was staying in Cleveland, I don't think he would have nearly as many haters. People don't hate him for "The Decision". They hate him because he left to go play with Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh. Most people just point to "The Decision" because they don't want to admit the truth.

People believing ANY single person can will a team to win in a 5 man game set themselves up for disappointment. No team that Cleveland put or was going to put on the floor would have won against any of the current bulls, celtics, spurs, or thunder squads that have at least 2 legitimate all star candidates.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: July 02, 2012, 07:42:08 PM »

What an bad person.

People believing ANY single person can will a team to win in a 5 man game set themselves up for disappointment. No team that Cleveland put or was going to put on the floor would have won against any of the current bulls, celtics, spurs, or thunder squads that have at least 2 legitimate all star candidates.

The Thunder were the worst team in the NBA when they drafted Durant and OKC is a smaller market than Cleveland. So, KD>Lebron?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: NBA Playoffs Thread
« Reply #967 on: July 02, 2012, 07:50:30 PM »

What an bad person.

The Thunder were the worst team in the NBA when they drafted Durant and OKC is a smaller market than Cleveland. So, KD>Lebron?

What has KD accomplished that Lebron didn't at Cleveland?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: NBA Playoffs Thread
« Reply #968 on: July 02, 2012, 07:52:42 PM »

What an bad person.

Nothing, but he will win a championship for OKC very soon.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: July 02, 2012, 09:42:15 PM »

What an bad person.

If Lebron would have been surrounded by Westbrook, Perkins, Ibaka and Harden, he would have won a championship. The Thunder without Lebron would easily be better than Cleveland without Lebron.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: July 02, 2012, 09:47:10 PM »

What an bad person.

If Lebron would have been surrounded by Westbrook, Perkins, Ibaka and Harden, he would have won a championship. The Thunder without Lebron would easily be better than Cleveland without Lebron.

How could they possibly have gotten all of that talent to OKC (smaller market than Cleveland)? Everyone keeps saying that Cleveland never would have gotten any talent and that Lebron would have never won a championship there. I think he would have, fwiw, but apparently Lebron did not.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: July 02, 2012, 09:54:26 PM »

Which is funny, because Michael Jordan is/was addicted to gambling.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: July 02, 2012, 09:56:13 PM »
LeBron brought a lot of the hate on himself. He calls himself "The King". I mean wtf?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: July 02, 2012, 09:56:44 PM »

All Jordan had to do was not get arrested off the court, and he accomplished that mission admirably. People loved him because he played a brand of basketball that no one had ever seen before and he was so much better than everyone else on the court it was just ridiculous.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: July 02, 2012, 09:57:10 PM »

So?