Author Topic: NBA Playoffs Thread  (Read 246548 times)

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Playoffs Thread
« Reply #925 on: June 23, 2012, 12:36:30 PM »
em:  lebron hating started when he was in high school.

bn:  plz go back and read thread.

Why the eff should I read the entire thread?  You -  Lebron has very little skill compared to other star players.  That's Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!), plain and simple.

lebron hating has been discussed at length and you're cluless about it.

what skills of lebron's are on par with the nba's best?  shooting?  passing?  ball handling?  post play?  no, no, no, and no.

i mean, being a bruiser is not a skill.  it's just something you do because you can.

Being almost the best at everything is much better than being the best at one thing.

none of it has anything to do with whether or not someone is fun to watch.  and lebron is not the best at being fun to watch.

Lebron may not be the best at being fun to watch.  He's fairly good at being the best at playing the game of basketball, though.  Like, for instance, if GMs could pick one player to build a franchise around, every single one would choose Lebron James.

That said, I've never seen him do the Mikan drill or the spin the ball on his finger. 

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: June 23, 2012, 02:36:37 PM »
hmmmm. chum1, have you considered that maybe you don't think he's fun to watch because you hate his guts? Like I don't think Kevin Garnett is fun to watch because I hate his guts. But maybe you enjoying watching him?  :dunno:  Just trying to get to the bottom of this.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: NBA Playoffs Thread
« Reply #927 on: June 24, 2012, 03:57:32 PM »
Yeah, i, too get really rough ridin' bored watching some guy do really athletic stuff to get to the rim and dunk all over people.  Maybe if lebron would knock down more step-back 18 footers, then he'd be bearable to watch.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

word on the street is that lots of nba players can dunk, and that quite a few do it with a lot more style than lebron.  that is indeed the best part of his game, though.  the rest is very meh.  unless, of course, you like cheering, "nice job of being born a big, strong, fast guy, lebron," in which case your all time favorite player is probably shaq.
Yeah, people always loved shaq because of his blazing speed. 

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: June 24, 2012, 04:11:46 PM »
Yeah, i, too get really rough ridin' bored watching some guy do really athletic stuff to get to the rim and dunk all over people.  Maybe if lebron would knock down more step-back 18 footers, then he'd be bearable to watch.

word on the street is that lots of nba players can dunk, and that quite a few do it with a lot more style than lebron.  that is indeed the best part of his game, though.  the rest is very meh.  unless, of course, you like cheering, "nice job of being born a big, strong, fast guy, lebron," in which case your all time favorite player is probably shaq.
Yeah, people always loved shaq because of his blazing speed. 

blazing speed for a guy his size?  without a doubt.  but the reason people like certain superstars has far more to do with things like marketing and espn, right?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: June 24, 2012, 04:19:05 PM »
em:  lebron hating started when he was in high school.

bn:  plz go back and read thread.

Why the eff should I read the entire thread?  You -  Lebron has very little skill compared to other star players.  That's Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!), plain and simple.

lebron hating has been discussed at length and you're cluless about it.

what skills of lebron's are on par with the nba's best?  shooting?  passing?  ball handling?  post play?  no, no, no, and no.

i mean, being a bruiser is not a skill.  it's just something you do because you can.

Who in the NBA do you think is good?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: June 24, 2012, 04:36:19 PM »

howard is the only other player i can think of who would be on someone's list of top ten players and doesn't possess some skills on par with the rest on the list.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: June 24, 2012, 04:56:30 PM »

howard is the only other player i can think of who would be on someone's list of top ten players and doesn't possess some skills on par with the rest on the list.

So you think everyone in the top 10 except Dwight Howard and LeBron James are good?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: June 24, 2012, 05:21:09 PM »

So you think everyone in the top 10 except Dwight Howard and LeBron James are good?

no, of course i don't mean that a player must be as skilled as his peers to be as good as them.  i was responding to thoughts of the form, "lebron is one of the best [insert skill] in the game."  i don't think he's particularly skilled relative to his peers.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: June 24, 2012, 05:28:26 PM »
Do you think Lebron James is better than Josh Smith?

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: June 24, 2012, 06:40:10 PM »

i was responding to thoughts of the form, "lebron is one of the best [insert skill] in the game."  i don't think he's particularly skilled relative to his peers.

Just a few stats for you.  I know stats are irrelevant, but notwithstanding...

Scoring avg. - 3rd.  Durant and Kobe are the only players in the world to score more.  And James has a higher FG% than both.

Rebounding - 25th overall.  Not including Cs and PFs, James had the most boards in the NBA.

Assists - 12th overall.  Not including PGs, most assists in the NBA.

Steals - 3rd overall.  Not including PGs, most steals in NBA.

Double doubles - 16th overall.  Not including Cs and PFs, most doubles in the NBA.

So, what did we learn today?  James is the best SF in the league.  Only Durant has more points.  No SF has more rebounds, assists, or steals. 

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: June 24, 2012, 06:50:27 PM »
only butthurt kstate fans would infer that i was suggesting lebron isn't a great player.  here's what i've said:  he's not as skilled as people say.  his style of play is boring to me. 

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: June 24, 2012, 06:53:31 PM »
only butthurt kstate fans would infer that i was suggesting lebron isn't a great player.  here's what i've said:  he's not as skilled as people say.  his style of play is boring to me.

OK. I respect your opinion. Agree to disagree.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: June 24, 2012, 07:42:32 PM »

Yeah, we get it.  You're just wrong.  His numbers are at the top of essentially every statistical category.

If his style bores you , so be it.  Eye of the beholder, type of thing.

Not a huge LJ fan myself, but if I had to create a list of more highly skilled SFs or SGs, I'd have trouble.  Maybe Kobe in his prime?  Durant maybe?  I'm curious who would be on your list...

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: June 24, 2012, 08:08:01 PM »

Yeah, we get it.  You're just wrong.  His numbers are at the top of essentially every statistical category.

If his style bores you , so be it.  Eye of the beholder, type of thing.

Not a huge LJ fan myself, but if I had to create a list of more highly skilled SFs or SGs, I'd have trouble.  Maybe Kobe in his prime?  Durant maybe?  I'm curious who would be on your list...

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx?word=skill

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: June 24, 2012, 08:19:43 PM »
something else i'll say about lbj:  he's a really smart player (EXCEPT when he goes into michael jordan impersonation mode).

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: June 24, 2012, 08:33:07 PM »
What skills do you value most?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: June 24, 2012, 08:36:35 PM »
Lbj smacks really loud when he eats food.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: June 24, 2012, 09:03:30 PM »
I like the globetrotters. Not so good at basketball, but extremely skilled.  Lots of tricks.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: June 25, 2012, 10:46:54 AM »
oh, man.  pitbull is the best possible way to celebate a lebron heat championship.  what a perfect ending.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: July 02, 2012, 10:28:10 AM »
dear Lebron James, congrats on being the best player in the history of the game and winning the 1st  of what will be a record setting number of titles.

:thumbs:

sincerely,

mcmwcat

p.s. i love watching your skillful play

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: July 02, 2012, 10:36:14 AM »
I like Lebron, but I love listening to his haters hate. The meltdown when he finally wins a championship will be fantastic, but unfortunately, I think it will put an end to the haters.

*Also, I tend to like superstars who play for one team more than players who demand trades/enter free agency despite perfectly good offers from where they are. I liked Lebron more when he was a Cavalier, and "The Decision" really didn't bother me at all.

Did he really have that good of an offer from the Cavalier's? "Hey, Lebron, stay with the team so we can milk as much money as possible from your extreme talent and marketability while we do pretty much nothing to secure you a supporting cast that will help you win championships." I'm not a Lebron lover, but I also don't see anything wrong with him moving from a team that made no effort to build a championship caliber team. Jordan needed a Pippen. Lebron had a Delonte West.

A quick google search suggests to me that Cleveland offered him $30 million more than any other team. Regardless, I wouldn't like him as much for leaving even if Cleveland offered less. I understand why he would want to leave. I just don't like it. It's hard to explain. At least he didn't wait until he was already on the way out to go and try to win a title like Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, or Kevin Garnett. That just reeks of desperation.

Yeah. People who switch jobs can't be trusted. They're just shifty, IMO. I mean, if you had to choose between an elite job in Miami surrounded by elite coworkers or a horrible job in Cleveland surrounded by crying middle-aged women who bring babies to work and force you to do everything in the entire company, that's a no-brainer for the Cleve every time.

I don't blame him, and I don't hate him or anything. The reality is that he just couldn't get the job done on his own team, so he went elsewhere to a team that was loaded with talent to finally win one. It would have been much more impressive if he had stayed at Cleveland and won a championship there, and he would be a much more likeable player. Role players switch teams. Superstars make the team theirs.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: July 02, 2012, 10:45:11 AM »
It would also be more impressive if he did it with only four guys on the court at a time. The whole "superstars don't switch teams" thing makes no sense. Jordan was already in a good market and had a GM that surrounded him with talent. He didn't have to leave. Same with Magic and Bird. Lebron was in a shitty town playing for a GM that surrounded him with shitty talent. His GM was unable to get the necessary pieces for a title to come to Cleveland, so Lebron went to the pieces. Superstars don't make teams. GMs do.

And what title teams aren't "loaded with talent?" Is Magic less impressive because he played with Kareem and Worthy? Kobe because he had Shaq? Bird because he had McHale, Parrish, etc?

The whole "players should stay with their original small town teams and try to win titles" thing just reeks of kstateo.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: July 02, 2012, 10:53:31 AM »
And what title teams aren't "loaded with talent?" Is Magic less impressive because he played with Kareem and Worthy? Kobe because he had Shaq? Bird because he had McHale, Parrish, etc?

somebody posted a pic of Bird, Magic, and Jordan in Heat jerseys that said something like, "nah, we can win on our own". I (admittedly tardishly) asked if the HOF'ers you mentioned helped them any when they won their championships (or something to that effect). And some guy said they would have one without all those hall of famers you mentioned.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: July 02, 2012, 10:55:10 AM »
It would also be more impressive if he did it with only four guys on the court at a time. The whole "superstars don't switch teams" thing makes no sense. Jordan was already in a good market and had a GM that surrounded him with talent. He didn't have to leave. Same with Magic and Bird. Lebron was in a shitty town playing for a GM that surrounded him with shitty talent. His GM was unable to get the necessary pieces for a title to come to Cleveland, so Lebron went to the pieces. Superstars don't make teams. GMs do.

The whole "players should stay with their original small town teams and try to win titles" thing just reeks of kstateo.

Lebron was taking that Cavs team to the NBA finals. Is it that far-fetched to think that they were only one player away and that as young as Lebron is, it was far more likely that he would have ended up with a few championships in Cleveland than not? I don't care if it reeks of K-Stateo. Michael Jordan was the Bulls. Kobe is the Lakers. Paul Pierce is the Celtics. Kevin Durant is the Thunder. Lebron was the Cavs. Now he is just some journeyman.

BTW, I absolutely loved "the decision" and wish that everyone who switches teams would do something like that. It's really the only reason I don't absolutely hate Lebron's guts right now.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: July 02, 2012, 10:58:15 AM »
lebron is just some journeyman.