Author Topic: Between the Lines with BITB  (Read 205313 times)

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Between the Lines with BITB
« Reply #1250 on: March 14, 2017, 06:04:01 PM »
KS should not be an armpit program.  Spend the dang money and get a good coach.  Enough of this horse manure

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: March 14, 2017, 06:13:37 PM »
When Mizzou was looking for a coach after Haith in 2014, Marshall wanted 7 years, $21m with all of it guaranteed. 

Offline SPEmaw

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: March 14, 2017, 06:55:25 PM »
Underwood ain't worth $8 million plus bucks in his first 12 months on the job.

If we're going to spend that kind of money, then let's effing swing for the effing fences and Brad Underwood ain't swingin for the fences.

good thing that's not how buyouts work, right? it would likely be $6 million over a number of years (six?) with a salary around $2 million per. We could negotiate paying oscar's ~$2 mill. over 4+ years. All in that's less per year than it costs to get any of the pipe dream guys like Buzz or Gregg. As stated many times - those guys don't stick around if they have the success their pay would demand. I'd like to think that Brad would be a KSU guy for as long as he was welcome.

:dunno:
Please don't ban me, Mr. Dave.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: March 14, 2017, 07:00:27 PM »
gregg said no to texas but i can totally see him coming here

Totally.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Between the Lines with BITB
« Reply #1254 on: March 14, 2017, 07:03:37 PM »
In the good old days, this thread was about BITB.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: March 14, 2017, 07:57:49 PM »

Totally.
The Texas AD at that time was also a major league bad person, I would love to hear the deets on that encounter

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: March 14, 2017, 08:02:40 PM »
Guys, oscar is here for at least another year. And ksu is not going to hire buzz Williams or Marshall, it's gonna be some mid major that has slightly over achieved. No way in hell will they steal some wildly successful P5 coach. Just not gonna happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: March 14, 2017, 08:04:01 PM »
what's buzz williams' buyout? easier to recruit TX from Manhattan

LOL of course:

It is year 3.

When new Virginia Tech men’s basketball Coach Buzz Williams left Marquette for less money and a job leading the ACC’s worst team, the question on the minds of many observers was why Williams would make such a move. His new contract with the Hokies, signed on May 11 and obtained by The Washington Post through an open records request, provides some answers.

At Virginia Tech, Williams negotiated an incentive-laden deal that includes several perks outside of his starting annual salary of $2.3 million, most notably a rollover clause, a minimal — and one-sided — buyout provision after three years, the creation of new staff positions and the ability to earn additional compensation from outside sources.

When Virginia Tech first introduced Williams as its coach in March, the school announced he agreed to a seven-year, $18.2 million contract and that his annual salary would increase by $100,000 every season. But like at Marquette, where he earned approximately $2.8 million last year, Williams will also have a rollover clause in his contract with the Hokies.

Beginning in year four, his contract will be automatically extended by one year every June 30 unless the university provides written notice by April 15 that it won’t be extended.

Perhaps more importantly, Williams crafted a buyout structure that will likely lead to increasing speculation if other schools pursue him as a coach in the future. If Williams leaves in the first year of the contract, he owes Virginia Tech $7 million. That figure drops to $3.5 million in year two and $1.5 million in year three. It drops below $1 million — to $900,000 in year four, $500,000 in year five and $250,000 in year six — after that.

If fired without cause by Virginia Tech, Williams would be owed his salary for the remainder of the contract. There is no clause in the contract stipulating Williams be paid the difference in salary should he get another job. So he could potentially earn a full salary from two schools if fired by Virginia Tech, which is unusual in college coaching contracts.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: March 14, 2017, 09:19:01 PM »
give all money to Brent Venzy to come be the DC until Snyder wants to let Brent drive, keep oscar, and i'm fine with all that.

If Venzy came, I'd be ok with oscar staying as long as Venzy was here. Wouldn't care.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: March 14, 2017, 10:14:03 PM »

Totally.
The Texas AD at that time was also a major league bad person, I would love to hear the deets on that encounter

Gregg asked for Charlie Strong's office, the AD :lol: and told 3G that at UT baseball and volleyball are more important than basketball and they only do it at UT because it's something else they are better at than A&M.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: March 14, 2017, 10:53:14 PM »
Yea, I think people don't realize how little Texas actually cares about basketball.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1261 on: March 15, 2017, 11:35:36 AM »
In the good old days, this thread was about BITB.
You tried.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: March 15, 2017, 11:42:08 AM »

If we're going to spend that kind of money, then let's effing swing for the effing fences and Brad Underwood ain't swingin for the fences.

good thing that's not how buyouts work, right? it would likely be $6 million over a number of years (six?) with a salary around $2 million per. We could negotiate paying oscar's ~$2 mill. over 4+ years. All in that's less per year than it costs to get any of the pipe dream guys like Buzz or Gregg. As stated many times - those guys don't stick around if they have the success their pay would demand. I'd like to think that Brad would be a KSU guy for as long as he was welcome.

Thanks, friend, but I know how SOME buyouts work.   Every buyout paid over a term I've ever seen were all negotiated with coaches who had been canned.   I have yet to see a buyout term (of years) be negotiated in regards to a coach leaving one job for another on their own accord.   I'd appreciate any examples you can provide. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: March 15, 2017, 11:54:29 AM »

Thanks, friend, but I know how SOME buyouts work.   Every buyout paid over a term I've ever seen were all negotiated with coaches who had been canned.   I have yet to see a buyout term (of years) be negotiated in regards to a coach leaving one job for another on their own accord.   I'd appreciate any examples you can provide. 

beilein

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: March 15, 2017, 02:09:41 PM »
Okay, that's 1, any others?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: March 15, 2017, 02:56:24 PM »
Okay, that's 1, any others?

you asked for an example and i gave you one, feel free to use your spare time on digging up some more you rough ridin' clod

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: March 15, 2017, 03:36:53 PM »
 :sdeek: :lol:

Offline Kelsey_Grammar

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: March 15, 2017, 05:20:27 PM »
It appears to me that the gentleman asked for examples--as in plural. By definition, plural means more than one, you cretinous desultory philippic...
Perhaps next time you won't be so careless...

Offline WildcatPower

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: March 15, 2017, 05:40:21 PM »
Wow. Martin gets 7 years for 21 million?

Mizzou could had probably gotten Marshall for that exact price, and Marshall is better than Martin.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: March 15, 2017, 05:43:14 PM »
marshall already makes that much

Offline WildcatPower

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: March 15, 2017, 05:46:20 PM »
marshall already makes that much

You're probably right, but conference wise, MIZZ>WSU. He wouldn't have to worry about having to get a AQ, unlike the MVC.

Hell, I'd throw in a few more if I was Mizzou anyways. Everywhere he goes, he has been successful.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: March 15, 2017, 06:26:37 PM »
Wow. Martin gets 7 years for 21 million?

Mizzou could had probably gotten Marshall for that exact price, and Marshall is better than Martin.

Poor Illinois got outbid by 3 million. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Between the Lines with BITB
« Reply #1272 on: March 15, 2017, 08:10:56 PM »
You guys do realize if Marshall wanted to leave for a program like mizzou for lots of money it would have already happened. Right?

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: March 15, 2017, 08:14:14 PM »
some are a little slow on the uptake around here

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: March 15, 2017, 08:42:24 PM »
Soo much news today, I thought Keitzman was going to have a radio orgasm.