Author Topic: Changing Jobs  (Read 8799 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: Changing Jobs
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2011, 02:40:56 PM »
IT tech.

That's the thing. I'm happy where i'm at now...good people to work with/really good friends, not too stressful, get to BBS most of the day, worked here a couple years so i know how things word, etc. Only the pay sucks.

I have a fairly good chance at landing somewhere else. Would have more responsibility, but would make 30-40% more.

Do you have any chance of moving up at your current job, both in pay and position? Do you have any certifications? Have they or are they willing to compensate you for training/certification exams? Does your current boss talk to you about helping advance your career (for your sake, not the companys)? If you have no chance of moving up and they aren't doing anything to help your career, I would take the leap. I don't know what you consider crap pay (I'm guessing you make $30-something), but as someone that did tech support (and still does to some degree) and is in IT, getting to $50,000 in the field is relatively easy. Moving up from there is the hard part. In this economy I would probably jump at the chance to make 30-40% more. There are other factors though especially if you're happy in your current job. You could easily move on, make more money, advance your career, but have a terrible boss/coworkers that make your life miserable. I've been there. It sucks and it would take more than 30-40% to make you happy. If you aren't going to advance at all with your current company though you have to move on at some point. If at this other place you think you'll like the people, will get good benefits (+30-40% more money), and think you can advance your career, do it.

At my old job the IT guys were always doing something that required them to stay at the office for days on end(literally).  I don't know if they were doing some super important server switch overs or if this was all about killer Doom tournaments, but it looked like it would suck. 

Also, we ran through them like napkins.  New guy gets hired, takes me 2-3months to learn his name, next day at lunch he no longer is with the company.  Rinse and repeat.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2011, 02:42:12 PM »
30-40% more in the IT industry is outrageous. Might I ask what responsibilities you would have?

well, i'm still at my first job after graduating...so it's more of a reflection on the crap pay I get now, then on what I'll be making somewhere else. Also would be going from a school system job, to more of an actual business.

COME FIX MY PRINTER, YOU JERK!   :chainsaw:

get your rough ridin' baby/dog pictures off of it and maybe i will!

P.S. If you hide candy anywhere, I will find it.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2011, 02:50:55 PM »
You may also find that the current place you work for will try to get you to stay by giving a raise

pffft

Naw, naw, it's legit. It's legit.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2011, 02:55:07 PM »
30-40% more in the IT industry is outrageous. Might I ask what responsibilities you would have?

well, i'm still at my first job after graduating...so it's more of a reflection on the crap pay I get now, then on what I'll be making somewhere else. Also would be going from a school system job, to more of an actual business.

COME FIX MY PRINTER, YOU JERK!   :chainsaw:

get your rough ridin' baby/dog pictures off of it and maybe i will!

P.S. If you hide candy anywhere, I will find it.
I worked at a school district for several years...and yes.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2011, 03:55:01 PM »
The only way, in most cases, you can get your salary to keep up with where it should be is to switch jobs. Employers understand this. Some don't though. Do your best to be grateful, but you have to put you first when it comes to your life and your job. They SHOULD understand this.

If they don't, eff 'em. I mean, be diplomatic about it, but who cares? Why the hell should they hold it against you if someone else offers you better compensation? On the flip side, I had a former employee get all upset because I didn't beg him to stay. So, there's a lot of retards out there.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2011, 04:34:24 PM »
IT tech.

That's the thing. I'm happy where i'm at now...good people to work with/really good friends, not too stressful, get to BBS most of the day, worked here a couple years so i know how things word, etc. Only the pay sucks.

I have a fairly good chance at landing somewhere else. Would have more responsibility, but would make 30-40% more.

That's a lot of wampum.

Unless they won't let you bbs.  In which case, stay put. 

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2011, 04:47:12 PM »
I'm in IT and I BBS all the time! Come work here! Plus, there's too many non-Q@s fans here. 

Offline EuroCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2011, 07:12:51 PM »
Don't do it, Frank. :kstatriot:

Offline chunkles

• KSU CATS Videographer of the Week
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2011, 07:39:30 PM »
I did this in 2005.  New boss gave me a 25% jump in salary, and I somehow managed to not piss off old boss after a very exciting bidding war.  9 months later I was rehired by old boss for another 30% jump in salary above the 25% increase that the new boss gave me.  Didn't piss off that boss, either.  :fatty:
a 15% pay reduction and subsequent pay freezes since 2009 minimizes how rough ridin' awesome that year was.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2011, 08:22:20 PM »
I'll say this, man...

Once it becomes about the money, it's always about the money.  You'll never say, "Eh, I hate my job so much I'll take a $10K pay cut."

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2011, 08:35:38 PM »
I did this in 2005.  New boss gave me a 25% jump in salary, and I somehow managed to not piss off old boss after a very exciting bidding war.  9 months later I was rehired by old boss for another 30% jump in salary above the 25% increase that the new boss gave me.  Didn't piss off that boss, either.  :fatty:
a 15% pay reduction and subsequent pay freezes since 2009 minimizes how rough ridin' awesome that year was.

sounds like you work in healthcare

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2011, 08:38:09 PM »
Good IT people are underpaid. We finally hired a competent IT staff, and it's like rough ridin' magic around here.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2011, 08:55:26 PM »

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2011, 08:57:32 PM »
Good IT people are underpaid. We finally hired a competent IT staff, and it's like effing magic around here.

Desktop techs and LAN techs are like the smartest people in the world, but they get paid like cac for the most part.  Some of the smartest people I've ever met in my travels are LAN techs that just slum around an IT department.  They could do some magical things if they stepped out into the consulting world and sold their services, but most of them are perfectly content being these little Einstein's that show up at 9:00, leave at 4:00 and take two hour lunch breaks...while spending the rest of the day in a CoD chat room.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2011, 09:32:16 PM »
IT tech.

Do you have any chance of moving up at your current job, both in pay and position?

There is a chance to move up, but it would be down the line, and even then, the pay raise probably wouldn't be worth the time/headache of the responsibilities.

Our boss is pretty cool about this stuff, as long as we're up front and honest about it. We've had 3 people leave in the past year, they left somewhat staggered, so it wasn't a mass exodus...but that's kind of another reason I didn't want to bolt.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline chunkles

• KSU CATS Videographer of the Week
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2011, 10:35:40 PM »

sounds like you work in healthcare
indirectly, yes.

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2011, 09:21:38 PM »

Desktop techs and LAN techs are like the smartest people in the world, but they get paid like cac for the most part.  Some of the smartest people I've ever met in my travels are LAN techs that just slum around an IT department.  They could do some magical things if they stepped out into the consulting world and sold their services, but most of them are perfectly content being these little Einstein's that show up at 9:00, leave at 4:00 and take two hour lunch breaks...while spending the rest of the day in a CoD chat room.

Alot of IT people have crap for social and business skills and that's a big reason why they don't venture out.  And when you start to take on that responsibility it literally becomes a 24/7/365 job.  I would take the job as long as you know that you will be busy and they will allow you to get some kind of continuing education.  And the company is somewhat stable (or as stable can be in this environment).  I work in an IT dept for a small company and everything is pretty fantastic besides the 24/7/365 support.  Assuming 30-40% will put you between 50-60 take it.  Just make sure you know what you are walking into, and know what skill set you're going to need.
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2011, 12:39:42 AM »
great thread, what's the best way to tell your current boss that you're quitting while still remaining on good terms, I can only imagine it being super awkwardy, but that's probably just because I've never quit before

Is 2 weeks still the socially accepted norm for a notice or does it just depend on the job and how easy your responsibilities can be farmed out to other people?
I'm purple down

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2011, 01:27:23 AM »
great thread, what's the best way to tell your current boss that you're quitting while still remaining on good terms, I can only imagine it being super awkwardy, but that's probably just because I've never quit before

Is 2 weeks still the socially accepted norm for a notice or does it just depend on the job and how easy your responsibilities can be farmed out to other people?

2 weeks is good, but some company's will walk you out the door depending on your job.  Be honest and don't check out the second you give them 2 weeks.  Get stuff cleaned up and you'll be welcomed back.  Of course if you work for a prick, nothing will save you.
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2011, 04:41:36 PM »

Depends on responsibilities.

I gave 6 weeks(or so)  at my last gig and prob should have gone 8.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2011, 10:56:29 AM »
if you're dumb enough to have to start this thread then you're probably currently getting paid what you deserve

boom, CROCK POT.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 1/64th

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2011, 12:48:28 PM »
I have been out of college for 7 years now and I am currently in my 4th job.  Been here for almost 2 years now.  I'm getting antsy and feel like I should be moving on soon.  But we'll see.  Each job change I increased the pay but the responsibilities basically stayed the same.  So my pay has increased about 130% but my responsibilities have only increased about 25%.  Worked out well. 

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2011, 11:57:29 AM »
Any decision yet?

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2011, 12:08:32 PM »
Any decision yet?

Still at the same place. The timing isn't very good right now, as we're in some major planning stages, plus training two new guys. The job still hasn't been filled, or even opened yet as far as I know. I'll see more about it once summer starts.
- chunkles

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2011, 12:19:33 PM »