Author Topic: Changing Jobs  (Read 8805 times)

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
Changing Jobs
« on: March 29, 2011, 09:19:49 AM »
How often do you guys do this? I mean, stay in the same profession, just change where you work? Is there a certain amount of time you should stay at a place, in order to not feel like a dick?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Changing Jobs
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 09:39:10 AM »
If you aren't happy with your job, you should change ASAP. If there is a job open that you think you might be interested in, don't be afraid to apply. You don't have to take it, and having options is always better than not having them.

*What do you do for a living?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 09:40:54 AM by Nuts Kicked »

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 09:57:24 AM »
IT tech.

That's the thing. I'm happy where i'm at now...good people to work with/really good friends, not too stressful, get to BBS most of the day, worked here a couple years so i know how things word, etc. Only the pay sucks.

I have a fairly good chance at landing somewhere else. Would have more responsibility, but would make 30-40% more.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 09:59:40 AM »
IT tech.

That's the thing. I'm happy where i'm at now...good people to work with/really good friends, not too stressful, get to BBS most of the day, worked here a couple years so i know how things word, etc. Only the pay sucks.

I have a fairly good chance at landing somewhere else. Would have more responsibility, but would make 30-40% more.

Take the money and run.  Will pad our wealthy scientific stats.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 10:03:06 AM »
would make 30-40% more.

JFC, who cares if they think you're a dick?

:bracketmouse:

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 10:05:06 AM »
30-40% more in the IT industry is outrageous. Might I ask what responsibilities you would have?
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 10:05:31 AM »
Also, I had like 5 jobs in 5 years right after I graduated. I'm on good terms with all former employers. Employers realize that they aren't truly loyal to you, so you shouldn't be expected to be loyal to them.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 10:11:43 AM »
30-40% more in the IT industry is outrageous. Might I ask what responsibilities you would have?

well, i'm still at my first job after graduating...so it's more of a reflection on the crap pay I get now, then on what I'll be making somewhere else. Also would be going from a school system job, to more of an actual business.

I would have more of an Admin role, instead of a desktop tech. position i have now.
- chunkles

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 10:12:26 AM »
As long as you don't nuke any bridges on the way out, I think you should leave for more money.  Unless you like to nuke bridges then bombs away.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 10:27:22 AM »
At least interview with the other job.  You can always turn them down if the boss is a dick or something.  What do you have to lose?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 10:32:06 AM »

well, i'm still at my first job after graduating...so it's more of a reflection on the crap pay I get now, then on what I'll be making somewhere else. Also would be going from a school system job, to more of an actual business.

I would have more of an Admin role, instead of a desktop tech. position i have now.

Bro, the two worlds you describe here are night and day in most ways(at least are that way with a lot of school districts).  Talk to others in the private sector of your industry to get a handle on what it is like vs your gig.

I am all for money, and love challenge and stuff, but check out the pool before jumping in.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 10:34:32 AM »
I never planned on it happening, but I had a strange pattern of getting a new job every 4 years up until the current job, i've been here for almost 6.  Planning on moving within the next year/year and a half, though.

It goes without saying, but the longer you stay at a job, the harder it will be to leave.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 11:09:59 AM »
Employers realize that they aren't truly loyal to you, so you shouldn't be expected to be loyal to them.

This. Especially if you're obviously underemployed. I've had a couple of great employees leave in the last year for more money and better opportunities than I could (or would) offer them. Good for them.

As far as resumes, as long as they show a steady upward movement, no one is gonna question why you didn't stay at a specific job for a long time (and if they do, you probably don't want to work there).
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 11:33:22 AM »
It goes without saying, but the longer you stay at a job, the harder it will be to leave.

I'd say this is my biggest issue atm.
- chunkles

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 11:37:05 AM »

I'd say this is my biggest issue atm.

Normally, I'd say don't try to be happier than happy. But there's only a few times in life when you get a shot at a 30-40% raise. You may not be able to buy happiness, but you can buy fancy boats. Google "fancy boats" and tell me if you see any sad people.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 12:27:27 PM »
You may also find that the current place you work for will try to get you to stay by giving a raise (and if you're lucky, potentially matching it).  The new parameters might weigh differently than they did before.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 12:31:39 PM »
You may also find that the current place you work for will try to get you to stay by giving a raise

pffft

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 12:32:51 PM »
You may also find that the current place you work for will try to get you to stay by giving a raise

pffft

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 12:33:41 PM »

pffft

"Columbia was good to Mike Anderson."   - Mike Anderson

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 12:37:38 PM »
You may also find that the current place you work for will try to get you to stay by giving a raise (and if you're lucky, potentially matching it).  The new parameters might weigh differently than they did before.

yeah, that probably won't happen here. Not much they can really do.
- chunkles

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 12:43:35 PM »
Unless your Dad runs the joint, staying at one firm your entire career is pretty dumb.  Not really sure on the "how much is too much" question. 

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 12:48:26 PM »
The only way, in most cases, you can get your salary to keep up with where it should be is to switch jobs. Employers understand this. Some don't though. Do your best to be grateful, but you have to put you first when it comes to your life and your job. They SHOULD understand this.

Offline JavaCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 01:48:21 PM »
IT tech.

Do you have any chance of moving up at your current job, both in pay and position? Do you have any certifications? Have they or are they willing to compensate you for training/certification exams? Does your current boss talk to you about helping advance your career (for your sake, not the companys)? If you have no chance of moving up and they aren't doing anything to help your career, I would take the leap. I don't know what you consider crap pay (I'm guessing you make $30-something), but as someone that did tech support (and still does to some degree) and is in IT, getting to $50,000 in the field is relatively easy. Moving up from there is the hard part. In this economy I would probably jump at the chance to make 30-40% more. There are other factors though especially if you're happy in your current job. You could easily move on, make more money, advance your career, but have a terrible boss/coworkers that make your life miserable. I've been there. It sucks and it would take more than 30-40% to make you happy. If you aren't going to advance at all with your current company though you have to move on at some point. If at this other place you think you'll like the people, will get good benefits (+30-40% more money), and think you can advance your career, do it.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 02:36:33 PM »

COME FIX MY PRINTER, YOU JERK!   :chainsaw:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12