Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 936274 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #2575 on: April 17, 2011, 02:26:41 PM »
Well, if Frank was actually telling all his friends to put all that stuff out there, then i guess he deserves some crap come his way. But there is no way to know for sure. I think those people would talk no matter what.

ww, come on.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: April 17, 2011, 02:29:11 PM »
I just wish Frank would use Haslem for recruiting.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #2577 on: April 17, 2011, 02:38:16 PM »
Frank can go explore other jobs all he wants.  And I get that Miami is where he's from, and it holds a special place in his heart, blah, blah, etc.  But to publicly whore yourself to every outlet that will listen for a school that A) doesn't give a cac about basketball and B) doesn't want you is kind of bad PR for your institution.

Hey jackass. He's only begging for Miami. That's all he's ever begged for and it's probably all he'll ever beg for. And everyone knows frank is from miami so they know why he's interested and won't look down on poor wittle ksu. Get over your lame self.

I'm sure John Currie and the rest of the big money folks are totally fine with this justification.

I don't care if he's a basketball coach or an accountant.  You can't openly beg for other jobs and not expect some form of negative feedback, no matter what the circumstance.

I'm sure they are just fine with what frank has done. He wasted a little goodwill and negotiating power, but no one wants him gone. This isn't some out of the blue disaster. If it was NC State or DePaul he was lobbying for, you might have a point. But it isn't so you don't.

I agree with everything you said with the exception of this.  I don't know how Currie could be okay with this.

I doubt that when they had their "annual review", Currie said, "Sure, you can pretty much say whatever you want to the media in an attempt to get the Miami job.  Don't worry; when I go out to get high dollar donations, and they wonder about the commitment of our coach when they pledge several hundred thousand dollars, I'll smooth it over."

I know Frank loves Miami and probably wants to go home.  And I'm perfectly fine with him doing everything in his power to get that job through appropriate channels.  But if he has to resort to lobbying for the job through the media, someone should counsel him that it's not going to happen, and he doesn't need to put himself in a bad situation here.  All he's doing is hurting himself in contract negotiations, donor conversations, and recruiting because his commitment to the university will be in question.  Some people (us) will realize that this is an exception (even if we disagree on whether or not it should be), but that's not the way that it's going to be perceived by many.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: April 17, 2011, 02:41:27 PM »
You know Frank won't even attempt to rationalize or justify this to the tucks.

he will blame it on sportwriters and 80% of the active fanbase will believe.

Glossed over this.  My bad.  Very good point/observation.

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: April 17, 2011, 02:50:21 PM »
There was a story a couple years ago about Frank that mentioned his son from his first marriage visiting during Christmas vacation and how badly Frank felt when he had to send him home to Miami, in part because of his relationship his own father. Thought at the time, Frank would do anything to get back there.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2580 on: April 17, 2011, 02:55:06 PM »
Frank can go explore other jobs all he wants.  And I get that Miami is where he's from, and it holds a special place in his heart, blah, blah, etc.  But to publicly whore yourself to every outlet that will listen for a school that A) doesn't give a cac about basketball and B) doesn't want you is kind of bad PR for your institution.

Hey jackass. He's only begging for Miami. That's all he's ever begged for and it's probably all he'll ever beg for. And everyone knows frank is from miami so they know why he's interested and won't look down on poor wittle ksu. Get over your lame self.

I'm sure John Currie and the rest of the big money folks are totally fine with this justification.

I don't care if he's a basketball coach or an accountant.  You can't openly beg for other jobs and not expect some form of negative feedback, no matter what the circumstance.

I'm sure they are just fine with what frank has done. He wasted a little goodwill and negotiating power, but no one wants him gone. This isn't some out of the blue disaster. If it was NC State or DePaul he was lobbying for, you might have a point. But it isn't so you don't.

I agree with everything you said with the exception of this.  I don't know how Currie could be okay with this.

I doubt that when they had their "annual review", Currie said, "Sure, you can pretty much say whatever you want to the media in an attempt to get the Miami job.  Don't worry; when I go out to get high dollar donations, and they wonder about the commitment of our coach when they pledge several hundred thousand dollars, I'll smooth it over."

I know Frank loves Miami and probably wants to go home.  And I'm perfectly fine with him doing everything in his power to get that job through appropriate channels.  But if he has to resort to lobbying for the job through the media, someone should counsel him that it's not going to happen, and he doesn't need to put himself in a bad situation here.  All he's doing is hurting himself in contract negotiations, donor conversations, and recruiting because his commitment to the university will be in question.  Some people (us) will realize that this is an exception (even if we disagree on whether or not it should be), but that's not the way that it's going to be perceived by many.

Currie is smart enough to realize ksu is not a destination job and can spin this to donors in many ways. The notion that ksu isn't a destination job seems to only be a surprise to you and a few butthurt tucks.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: April 17, 2011, 02:56:01 PM »
Frank can go explore other jobs all he wants.  And I get that Miami is where he's from, and it holds a special place in his heart, blah, blah, etc.  But to publicly whore yourself to every outlet that will listen for a school that A) doesn't give a cac about basketball and B) doesn't want you is kind of bad PR for your institution.

I don't care if he's a basketball coach or an accountant.  You can't openly beg for other jobs and not expect some form of negative feedback, no matter what the circumstance.

Currie is smart enough to realize ksu is not a destination job and can spin this to donors in many ways. The notion that ksu isn't a destination job seems to only be a surprise to you and a few butthurt tucks.

Find one place in this thread where I said KSU was a destination job.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: April 17, 2011, 03:07:48 PM »
Well, if Frank was actually telling all his friends to put all that stuff out there, then i guess he deserves some crap come his way. But there is no way to know for sure. I think those people would talk no matter what.

ww, come on.

i tried man, I just can't get worked up over this.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: April 17, 2011, 03:20:11 PM »
if you're butthurt over this, it means that you badly want a coach who will love you and want to be with you forever and are pretty much a giant rough ridin' powerespect.  

if you think frank is butthurt, it probably also means you're a giant rough ridin' powerespect because you can't even comprehend that he wants to leave you for someone else and is doing what he needs to do to make it happen.  

somewhere in the transition from ksufans to goEMAW, tucks became the enemy instead of powertards and this place is now full of powertards.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: April 17, 2011, 03:21:51 PM »
Frank can go explore other jobs all he wants.  And I get that Miami is where he's from, and it holds a special place in his heart, blah, blah, etc.  But to publicly whore yourself to every outlet that will listen for a school that A) doesn't give a cac about basketball and B) doesn't want you is kind of bad PR for your institution.

I don't care if he's a basketball coach or an accountant.  You can't openly beg for other jobs and not expect some form of negative feedback, no matter what the circumstance.

I agree with everything you said with the exception of this.  I don't know how Currie could be okay with this.

I doubt that when they had their "annual review", Currie said, "Sure, you can pretty much say whatever you want to the media in an attempt to get the Miami job.  Don't worry; when I go out to get high dollar donations, and they wonder about the commitment of our coach when they pledge several hundred thousand dollars, I'll smooth it over."

I know Frank loves Miami and probably wants to go home.  And I'm perfectly fine with him doing everything in his power to get that job through appropriate channels.  But if he has to resort to lobbying for the job through the media, someone should counsel him that it's not going to happen, and he doesn't need to put himself in a bad situation here.  All he's doing is hurting himself in contract negotiations, donor conversations, and recruiting because his commitment to the university will be in question.  Some people (us) will realize that this is an exception (even if we disagree on whether or not it should be), but that's not the way that it's going to be perceived by many.

Find one place in this thread where I said KSU was a destination job.

Everything you posts sounds like someone who was under the delusion that it was. If you realized KSU wasn't a destination job previously, you would understand what is going on and wouldn't be so goddam butthurt.

Online Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: April 17, 2011, 03:27:51 PM »
So, like as of 3:26 on Sunday is he staying or going?  I am trying to keep up, but sometimes it is hard.  Did anything new happen to add an entire page to the thread since this morning?

TIA

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: April 17, 2011, 03:35:10 PM »
No better tanning in Knoxville then in Manhattan.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: April 17, 2011, 03:40:29 PM »
Everything you posts sounds like someone who was under the delusion that it was. If you realized KSU wasn't a destination job previously, you would understand what is going on and wouldn't be so goddam butthurt.

I'm pretty sure that I understand what's going on, and I'm not personally butt hurt.  If he stays, fine.  If he goes, fine.  I've posted that exact phrase in the last couple of days.

I understand that he's doing everything in his power to try and get this job, or force Currie into a negotiation, or position himself into a better situation, regardless of whatever that may be.  Coaches do that.  I get it.  But what I said, and will continue to say, is that he should have seen the writing on the wall a week ago when they wanted to bring in Tommy Amaker and realized it wasn't going to happen (and it's still not going to happen), resign himself to it, and not make his current situation worse before starting a mini-political campaign to get himself the opportunity to interview, let alone get the job.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: April 17, 2011, 03:52:14 PM »
ww, come on.

c'mon, don't be delusional.  not c'mon, get worked up.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: April 17, 2011, 03:57:03 PM »
ww, come on.

c'mon, don't be delusional.  not c'mon, get worked up.

if you want to assume something so it fits your thinking/agenda, go ahead.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: April 17, 2011, 04:07:38 PM »

i don't have an agenda.  i just consider it ludicrous to hold the idea that martin was willing to publicly embarrass himself and his employer by personally lobbying for the miami job, but was uninvolved in his friends dropping on-message hints that cost them and him nothing.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: April 17, 2011, 04:12:26 PM »

i don't have an agenda.  i just consider it ludicrous to hold the idea that martin was willing to publicly embarrass himself and his employer by personally lobbying for the miami job, but was uninvolved in his friends dropping on-message hints that cost them and him nothing.

you don't think Martin can be a bumbling idiot to reporters?? The guy has no filter.
- chunkles

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: April 17, 2011, 04:17:49 PM »
you don't think Martin can be a bumbling idiot to reporters?? The guy has no filter.

i think there are a very few occasions (all postgame, afaik) where he becomes irate with a question, or his perception of a question, and says something that he might not otherwise.  in all other interviews, he has a very aggressive filter on and controls the flow of information as much as any other coach.

i don't think he's ever a bumbling idiot with reporters, he generally has them eating out of his hand.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: April 17, 2011, 05:06:45 PM »
Pan,

TrimGoPowercat told me to tell you "eff you" regarding your position on how one goes about lobbying for a job.

T-Y,

TrimGoEMAW

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: April 17, 2011, 05:19:41 PM »
I understand that he's doing everything in his power to try and get this job, or force Currie into a negotiation, or position himself into a better situation, regardless of whatever that may be.  Coaches do that.  I get it.  But what I said, and will continue to say, is that he should have seen the writing on the wall a week ago when they wanted to bring in Tommy Amaker and realized it wasn't going to happen (and it's still not going to happen), resign himself to it, and not make his current situation worse before starting a mini-political campaign to get himself the opportunity to interview, let alone get the job.

You're right, but I think most people Frank's action made Frank and Miami look like the jackasses in the situation, not KSU. Everyone already thought KSU was a shitty job to begin with. Frank isn't doing anything to make it worse.

catzacker

« Reply #2595 on: April 17, 2011, 05:20:13 PM »
like, imo, whether frank was or wasn't lobbying for the job is irrelevant.  what's relevant is that a large percentage of the fan base thinks he was/is.  so, like, regardless of whether you think that's Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) or not, that's kind of how it is.  and there'll be unintended (or intended) consequences in the future because of it.  that is what has me butthurt.  maybe I'm exaggerating or miscalculating the repercussions, dunno.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: April 17, 2011, 05:41:20 PM »
But what I said, and will continue to say, is that he should have seen the writing on the wall a week ago when they wanted to bring in Tommy Amaker and realized it wasn't going to happen (and it's still not going to happen), resign himself to it, and not make his current situation worse before starting a mini-political campaign to get himself the opportunity to interview, let alone get the job.

it could happen.  stranger things have certainly happened.  so, why not go for it balls to the wall if you're him?  you're suggesting that frank adopt a loser's mentality.  he's not a loser.  he's very successful.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: April 17, 2011, 05:44:58 PM »
like, imo, whether frank was or wasn't lobbying for the job is irrelevant.  what's relevant is that a large percentage of the fan base thinks he was/is.  

Do the really think this?  And a large percentage of them?  I agree with whoever said earlier that hardly anyone is paying any attention to this.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: April 17, 2011, 05:47:50 PM »

The guy with the cupcake represents most of our fanbase. They have no rough ridin' clue what's going on behind their backs.

catzacker

« Reply #2599 on: April 17, 2011, 05:55:55 PM »
like, imo, whether frank was or wasn't lobbying for the job is irrelevant.  what's relevant is that a large percentage of the fan base thinks he was/is.  

Do the really think this?  And a large percentage of them?  I agree with whoever said earlier that hardly anyone is paying any attention to this.

of our fanbase?  yes.  maybe wrong.  hopefully so.  the average fan probably doesn't know about depaul or oregon and I would probably guess beceause frank didn't publicly comment on either of them (well, then at least.  he described them indirectly talking to doug tucker).