Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 936249 times)

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #1175 on: April 05, 2011, 04:37:42 PM »
I think this is Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)?  This is Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) right?

Actual reporting from Kellis (and excellent commenting by doom) on his blog http://blogs.kansas.com/kstated/2011/04/05/frank-martin-eligible-for-contract-extension/:

...that he is eligible for an extension.

The contract, signed in April 2010, lists specific criteria that can trigger the negotiation of a new contract. They include K-State advancing to the Sweet 16, earning a 1 or 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament, finishing in a tie for third or better in the Big 12 regular season standings, winning the Big 12 Tournament or Martin winning Big 12 or National Coach of the Year honors before the conclusion of the 2011-12 season.

By finishing 10-6 in conference play this season, and tying with Texas A&M for third, Martin has met that criteria.

According to contract language, Martin and K-State athletic director John Currie are now supposed to, “agree to negotiate in good faith from April 1, 2012 to May 31, 2012 a modification, extension, or revised employment agreement.”

If they fail to reach an agreement during that negotiation period, the amount of Martin’s buyout, which is currently $1,000,000 shall immediately become $500,000.

Can't anyone renegotiate at any time ever?
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: April 05, 2011, 04:38:12 PM »
forget about the hypothetical four million scenario. lets just assume that we are talking about present day earth and why someone would be against frank making more money. i don't see why someone would be against this.

higher ticket prices, more briggs logos.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: April 05, 2011, 04:41:21 PM »
can someone who doesn't think/want martin to be paid a little more explain why? because personally, i could care less if frank makes 4 million. actually i'd love for him to make four million. i'd love for everyone in the world to make four million. why should i care if he makes more money? i don't. pay him whatever it takes to keep him and then get rid of him if he starts sucking. not that hard. the amount of money that he makes, especially when we're talking about a few hundred thousand a year, does not affect me whatsoever. i am affected if he leaves.
no reason to pay him more imo. and i also disagree that everyone should make $4m per.

ok. let's say that this is actually true. i don't believe it to be, but for arguments sake we will say that there is no reason at all to pay frank more money. none at all. that still doesn't explain why someone would be against it. is there a reason to not pay him more that i'm missing out on?

I would say jealousy but in your scenario everyone makes the same so that doesn't even make sense.  

forget about the hypothetical four million scenario. lets just assume that we are talking about present day earth and why someone would be against frank making more money. i don't see why someone would be against this.
i think he makes too much already, not sure how you can even begin to try justify him making as much as he does.  sad.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #1178 on: April 05, 2011, 04:42:08 PM »
Quote from: Kellis Robinett
With speculation flying from media and fans in both south Florida and Kansas that Miami will likely show interest in Martin to replace departed coach Frank Haith

Speculation is not "flying" in South Florida. There are about 75 posts (over a three-day period) on a Canes message board. There has been nothing written in the newspaper, at least from what I've seen. There's been a blog post or two — but nothing with substance.

Dan Le Batard talked about Frank Martin on his show yesterday but after three minutes moved on to more interesting topics, like a white woman giving birth to a black child while her white husband ( :horrorsurprise:) freaked.

I have been listening to Miami radio all day today. Frank Martin's name has been mentioned exactly zero times.

Man, oh man. That Kellis sure is a pot stirrer.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: April 05, 2011, 04:46:51 PM »
"with speculation flying between disgruntled ex-media and minor kstate themed internet media personalities..."
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline TheMadCatter

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: April 05, 2011, 04:47:13 PM »
I think this is Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)?  This is Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) right?

Yeah, but it doesn't mean something comes out of it. This way the contract either changes someway in negotiations or his buyout is cut. That is unless Currie and Martin meet and both agree the contract is fine as is and move on.

Offline NoDakCat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: April 05, 2011, 04:48:09 PM »
'Tucks daily to do list

1. Tuck in shirt
2. Do things "the right way"
3. Pledge of Allegiance
4. Make sure Snyder is paid more than Frank

Ha

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: April 05, 2011, 04:49:49 PM »

Yeah, but it doesn't mean something comes out of it. This way the contract either changes someway in negotiations or his buyout is cut. That is unless Currie and Martin meet and both agree the contract is fine as is and move on.

Right.  You can renegotiate at any time, but KSU is obligated to renegotiate now, and if the parties fail to reach a new agreement, Martin's buy-out gets halved on June 1 [2011, I assume it means].  (This is according to how Kellis reports the contract, not my own research.)
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline 5601js

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: April 05, 2011, 05:00:52 PM »
ACCSports ACC Sports
Yow - I have a reputation of not getting along with Gary Williams, who has tried to sabotage this search. #shotsfired

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: April 05, 2011, 05:05:51 PM »
ACCSports ACC Sports
Yow - I have a reputation of not getting along with Gary Williams, who has tried to sabotage this search. #shotsfired

lol.  her letter was lol too.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: April 05, 2011, 05:07:33 PM »
I have been listening to Miami radio all day today.

LOL

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #1186 on: April 05, 2011, 05:17:20 PM »
I have been listening to Miami radio all day today.

LOL

I always listen to Miami and Chicago radio. KC radio is terrible.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: April 05, 2011, 05:38:05 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6297427&ex_cid=nhffromfb

Nothing new. Talks about the interview with Brando.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: April 05, 2011, 05:48:09 PM »
better coaching gig:  st johns or bama?

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: April 05, 2011, 06:00:01 PM »
j_rake Jeffrey Rake
Frank Martin: "I'm at K-State right now because I haven't had opportunities to make more money elsewhere." #outofcontext
9 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

:frown:

ejwestksu Eric Westerman

@j_rake Actually, that's the exact opposite of what Martin said. He's at K-State despite having opportunities for raises elsewhere.

heh

cover for when he leaves: he'll say, "it wasn't for the money.  how many times have i turned down better paying jobs before?  you know?"

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: April 05, 2011, 07:04:12 PM »
it would be hilarious in our best interests to pay frank more than snyder and then tell snyder no after he asks for more money.

:lol:

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: April 05, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
can anyone read the insider rumor on espn?  any new info or other candidates not mentioned here?
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline TheMadCatter

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: April 05, 2011, 08:19:32 PM »
can anyone read the insider rumor on espn?  any new info or other candidates not mentioned here?

Update: UCF head coach Donnie Jones and Florida State assistant Stan Jones are two others rumored to be candidates for the Miami opening.

Donnie Jones jumped out to a quick start in his first season at UCF and led the Knights to a 21-12 record. But as the Orlando Sentinel points out, there is some question as to how much better of a job the Miami job would be. He already has a good thing going at UCF and is set to return sophomore guard Marcus Jordan and sophomore forward Keith Clanton.

Stan Jones has previous experience coaching at Miami and could be a viable candidate for the job, having served as a Hurricanes assistant under Leonard Hamilton from 1996-2000. He then followed Hamilton to the Washington Wizards for one season before joining him again when he was hired at FSU.

---

As we explained earlier, Kansas State coach Frank Martin appears to be a perfect fit for the Miami (Fla.) coaching vacancy (which should open up when the news of Frank Haith to Missouri becomes official). However, is it really the best fit for Martin? Eric Bossi of Rivals makes an interesting point that while Martin is by far the most qualified, Miami may not be a better job than K-State. Also, with what Martin has established in Manhattan, would he want to take a job that clearly does not have a similarly excited fan base.

Adam Zagoria of ZagsBlog.com tweeted late Sunday that, according to a Division-I source, "Miami is Frank Martin's 'dream job.'"

Sun Sentinel sports writer Dave Hyde writes this morning that the Kansas State coach is "the obvious, first rumor at the new guy."

Hyde adds: "On one level he fits the bill: A Miami guy, a Cuban-American, a coach who's won at Kansas State. There also are some questions about how he carries himself and runs a program to be answered."

One potential sticking point could be whether the Miami administration is willing to go from someone like Frank Haith, viewed as an all-around likable person, to a more fiery and intense coach like Martin.

- Joe Kaiser

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: April 05, 2011, 08:48:12 PM »
rake is quickly becoming the king of butthurt media.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: April 05, 2011, 09:11:36 PM »
Martin would pay $250K ($1M -> $750K) less if he waits until the 15th [EDIT]of April 2012[/EDIT] to leave

EDIT: oops
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:18:05 PM by mcmwcat »

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: April 05, 2011, 09:15:46 PM »
Martin would pay $250K ($1M -> $750K) less if he waits until the 15th to leave

April 15, 2012.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: April 05, 2011, 09:17:41 PM »
Twitter still pushing the "frank is interested in Miami". 

:dubious:

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: April 05, 2011, 09:19:08 PM »
At first I was nervous, then I thought about it a bit and wasn't, now after a couple of days with no word from Frank, I am  :ohno:
 :runaway:

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: April 05, 2011, 09:19:32 PM »
Martin would pay $250K ($1M -> $750K) less if he waits until the 15th to leave

April 15, 2012.

thx 4 the correction  :frown:

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: April 05, 2011, 09:21:25 PM »
Twitter still pushing the "frank is interested in Miami". 

:dubious:

as in one guy and everyone retweeting it.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles