Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 893486 times)

Offline chunkles

• KSU CATS Videographer of the Week
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #625 on: April 04, 2011, 10:01:31 AM »
just to be sure, there is no homeboner out-clause, right?  like Huggy and WV?  fool us once and stuff? help

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: April 04, 2011, 10:02:34 AM »
We can talk about many reasons why he won't go, but it's home.  People do crazy things to go home.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: April 04, 2011, 10:02:51 AM »
imagine having the 2 Live Crew as your celeb fans instead of kelly clarkson, showing up to games and midnight madness and stuff.  lockerroom apperances.  incredible opportunity that frank is staring at right now.  how can he not take it?

Luther has been banned from the U.  More like Gloria Estefan would be showing up, but still amazing.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: April 04, 2011, 10:03:23 AM »
Quote from:  BITB
First let me say I don't think Miami is a real threat to make a play for
Frank Martin. It just seems like a step down.

But there is a lot of misinformation out there regarding Frank's salary. He does NOT make $1.5m per year at KSU. Every contract is different and everyone loves to use the term "incentives." Well, Frank has a very big incentive to stay the full term of the deal. It's a "retention incentive" and it was perhaps the most important part of the contract from John Currie and KSU's stand point.

Frank made $1.1 million this year, probably more than he ever thought he would make, but about half what some coaches of his stature are commanding. It is a well below market value deal with a pair of big incentives after 5 years that would bump his number up to the average of $1.5m if he stays the whole time.

Frank has small kids, genuinely likes Manhattan and KSU and is loyal and thankful to have the opportunity to coach at this level and make a great living.

But don't kid yourselves, the way this stuff is going, Frank Martin is quickly becoming underpaid and bigger threats than Miami will surface if he keeps winning.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: April 04, 2011, 10:04:38 AM »

But there is a lot of misinformation out there regarding Frank's salary. He does NOT make $1.5m per year at KSU. Every contract is different and everyone loves to use the term "incentives." Well, Frank has a very big incentive to stay the full term of the deal. It's a "retention incentive" and it was perhaps the most important part of the contract from John Currie and KSU's stand point.

Frank made $1.1 million this year, probably more than he ever thought he would make, but about half what some coaches of his stature are commanding. It is a well below market value deal with a pair of big incentives after 5 years that would bump his number up to the average of $1.5m if he stays the whole time.

Frank has small kids, genuinely likes Manhattan and KSU and is loyal and thankful to have the opportunity to coach at this level and make a great living.

But don't kid yourselves, the way this stuff is going, Frank Martin is quickly becoming underpaid and bigger threats than Miami will surface if he keeps winning.

my god, he's just getting warmed up for 2:00

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: April 04, 2011, 10:04:46 AM »
luther's ban from the U expired, he's very connected to the U.  the temp AD reinstated him to the U's HoF.  nice try though.  

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: April 04, 2011, 10:05:37 AM »
Miami just built a brand new basketball arena.

It's empty for every game, but it is really nice.

It only seats around 8K. They averaged 4763 this season.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: April 04, 2011, 10:06:39 AM »
Mike Alden is playing chess while we play rough ridin' checkers.

Step 1:  Open the Miami Job
Step 2:  Get a decent coach with a super low buyout
Step 3:  Watch KSU crumble when Frank leaves
Step 4:  RE-take over spot as "second in the north"
Step 5:  Profit.

Prolly has had this planned out since Oregon offered Anderson.

Way too much credit being given here to a uni that starts with Brad Stevens, hops to Painter, limps to New Mexico, then drags their beaten asses to Miami.

The above scenario is slightly less likely than EMAWgeddon's(SP):
1. Pony
2. ?
3. Profit

Also, I am with _FAN on the 10% worry thing.

Lastly:  LOL at MU.  losers.  

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: April 04, 2011, 10:07:48 AM »

:barf:

Won't take much for Frank to fill those seats.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: April 04, 2011, 10:08:28 AM »
luther's ban from the U expired, he's very connected to the U.  the temp AD reinstated him to the U's HoF.  nice try though.  

luther would most def return calls and texts from curtis malone lackeys that are looking to get paid for steering recruits their way. contrast that with some ksu backer that i know and it's instant advantage to the hurricanes of miami. no brainer for frank.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: April 04, 2011, 10:10:07 AM »
I think Frank might hold out for the UCF job so his kids can get season passes to Disney World.

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: April 04, 2011, 10:10:15 AM »
@SaveUMFootballUM Basketball Coaching Update: UM is already in talks with several candidates. One is originally from Miami. Time will tell.

@SaveUMFootball Yes, Frank Martin is a candidate. Yes, he has been contacted. Who knows what will happen. It's been less than 24 hours. There are more.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: April 04, 2011, 10:10:36 AM »

Show Cause hearing is in June, per MU coaching discussion last week on 810.  They said that the timing of the hearing sucks because he will be too late to get on somewhere for next season.  So, hire pearl now would be a huge gamble, because we may be doing the whole thing again in June.

Of course, if he doesn't get the Show cause, we would get him cheaper than VCU is paying Shaka.  

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: April 04, 2011, 10:11:52 AM »
Mike Alden is playing chess while we play effing checkers.

Step 1:  Open the Miami Job
Step 2:  Get a decent coach with a super low buyout
Step 3:  Watch KSU crumble when Frank leaves
Step 4:  RE-take over spot as "second in the north"
Step 5:  Profit.

Prolly has had this planned out since Oregon offered Anderson.

Way too much credit being given here to a uni that starts with Brad Stevens, hops to Painter, limps to New Mexico, then drags their beaten asses to Miami.

The above scenario is slightly less likely than EMAWgeddon's(SP):
1. Pony
2. ?
3. Profit

Also, I am with _FAN on the 10% worry thing.

Lastly:  LOL at MU.  losers.  

It all started the year KU won the Orange Bowl.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: April 04, 2011, 10:13:23 AM »
Frank had a base salary of $1.2 million for this year, it goes to $1.3 million next year, and then add another $100K a year all the way up to $1.6 million.

If he leaves K-State this year, he owes K-State $1 million.  

He got nearly $500K in the form of a signing bonus last year.  

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: April 04, 2011, 10:15:59 AM »
Frank had a base salary of $1.2 million for this year, it goes to $1.3 million next year, and then add another $100K a year all the way up to $1.6 million.

So he can split the buy out with The U.  Great.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: April 04, 2011, 10:17:20 AM »

:barf:

Won't take much for Frank to fill those seats.

Miami hasn't averaged over 5K in attendance in any single season in the last 10 years.  Their best single season attendance in their heyday under Hamilton was less than 6K average.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: April 04, 2011, 10:17:45 AM »

You gotta sell a lot of copies of "As Nasty as They Wanna Be" to afford that jack.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: April 04, 2011, 10:18:08 AM »

Show Cause hearing is in June, per MU coaching discussion last week on 810.  They said that the timing of the hearing sucks because he will be too late to get on somewhere for next season.  So, hire pearl now would be a huge gamble, because we may be doing the whole thing again in June.

Of course, if he doesn't get the Show cause, we would get him cheaper than VCU is paying Shaka.  

If we hire Pearl before the show cause hearing, would we still have to show cause for hiring him? How does the "Show Cause" thing work? Would we lose a scholarship for a few years or something? If that's all that happens, Pearl is definitely worth it.

Offline Bill Clarahan

• agricultural related person
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: April 04, 2011, 10:19:06 AM »

Well KK being the genius he is, just repeated something he heard from some 3rd grade Quatz fans, and trys to make it sound newsworthy.

But it will suck in a lot of GPtard for 2 PM

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: April 04, 2011, 10:20:25 AM »
Frank will get paid somewhere between $96-$150K in bonuses for this last year, it depends on how the APR score looks.

If my calculations are right he received in excess of $150K in performance bonuses last year.   So all in all, K-State has paid Frank nearly $3 million dollars in the last 2 years.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: April 04, 2011, 10:21:24 AM »

If we hire Pearl before the show cause hearing, would we still have to show cause for hiring him? How does the "Show Cause" thing work? Would we lose a scholarship for a few years or something? If that's all that happens, Pearl is definitely worth it.

If we hire him and he gets show caused, my understanding is that we will either have to start the hoop jumping to show why we think he would behave at KSU or oscar would have to be let go and a new search started.  

I have also heard that if we do jump hoops and get him able to coach, that they may invoke some sort of penalty on our team('ship limits, etc) or something like that.  This was just during some discussion I over heard on one of the radio stations a few weeks ago.  Not sure if this is accurate or not.

Offline Jarvis_Cat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: April 04, 2011, 10:22:03 AM »
That 500k signing bonus....Doesn't he have to pay some of that back if he doesn't stay for all the years of the contract? I thought I remember that being part of the deal.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: April 04, 2011, 10:23:14 AM »
That 500k signing bonus....Doesn't he have to pay some of that back if he doesn't stay for all the years of the contract? I thought I remember that being part of the deal.

As I read it the date of payback passed in Oct. 2010.