Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 926597 times)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #6675 on: April 09, 2024, 12:24:02 PM »
The mock drafts have his entire starting lineup getting drafted
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #6676 on: April 09, 2024, 12:54:31 PM »
Seems weird to build up a program to be a perennial top 20 team, win a Natty, and bail for another program.  How often does that happen?  I don't think very often which is why I don't see Drew leaving Baylor.  Seems like he has a good thing going and he can be there as long as he wants with limited pressure from fans/AD/UP.
This is true but Baylor is arguably the "lowest profile" school to win a championship in recent memory. Villanova is probably the closest comparison?

Not sure school's profile matters anymore if you have NIL support + fan/AD/UP support.  I think this is why we have seen some hall of fame coaches retire in the last couple years.  I don't think Kentucky/KU/UCLA/Duke/Michigan State/North Carolina names will continue to hold the weight they used to.  The "name" is no longer needed to bring in great players and contend for titles.  The last two years represent the new NIL landscape, and I don't think many of us would have predicted not a single Blue Blood (UCONN is now BB though) making the FF. 

2024 FF Teams:   
Bama, Purdue, NC State, and UCONN

2023 FF Teams:
SDST, Miami, FIU, and UCONN

I think long term, NIL support will be more closely related to profile. Higher profile/blue bloods will win in the NIL/Portal era.
:nono:
NIL money will be king, program pedigree will be down the list of priorities for top recruits.  What WILL be a deciding factor is the number of players the program lands in the NBA.  McDonalds All-Americans don't go to Lawrentucky because of it's atmosphere or tradition, they go to KU because KU has had a lot of players make it to the NBA.  If the number of players KU puts in the NBA declines, so will recruiting.
I was interested to note that Hurley wasted zero time mentioning his ability to get guys to the NBA during on court interview immediately following the game last night.
he didn’t say that, he said that it all starts with recruiting nba level talent.  the message was meant directly for his NIL contributors.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6677 on: April 09, 2024, 12:59:54 PM »

Seems weird to build up a program to be a perennial top 20 team, win a Natty, and bail for another program.  How often does that happen?  I don't think very often which is why I don't see Drew leaving Baylor.  Seems like he has a good thing going and he can be there as long as he wants with limited pressure from fans/AD/UP.
This is true but Baylor is arguably the "lowest profile" school to win a championship in recent memory. Villanova is probably the closest comparison?

Not sure school's profile matters anymore if you have NIL support + fan/AD/UP support.  I think this is why we have seen some hall of fame coaches retire in the last couple years.  I don't think Kentucky/KU/UCLA/Duke/Michigan State/North Carolina names will continue to hold the weight they used to.  The "name" is no longer needed to bring in great players and contend for titles.  The last two years represent the new NIL landscape, and I don't think many of us would have predicted not a single Blue Blood (UCONN is now BB though) making the FF. 

2024 FF Teams:   

2023 FF Teams:

I think long term, NIL support will be more closely related to profile. Higher profile/blue bloods will win in the NIL/Portal era.
NIL money will be king, program pedigree will be down the list of priorities for top recruits.  What WILL be a deciding factor is the number of players the program that land in the NBA.  McDonalds All-Americans don't go to Lawrentucky because of it's atmosphere or tradition, they go to KU because KU have a lot of players that make it to the NBA.  When the number of players KU puts in the NBA declines, so will recruiting.

I don't disagree with anything you're saying, I just expect that in the long term NIL money and program pedigree will be more closely related than they might be now.

The turning point will be when schools are able to pay their players directly. Schools outside of the Big 10 and SEC can keep up with NIL, but they can't keep up with tv money.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6678 on: April 09, 2024, 01:01:50 PM »

2024 FF Teams:   

2023 FF Teams:

NIL money will be king, program pedigree will be down the list of priorities for top recruits.  What WILL be a deciding factor is the number of players the program that land in the NBA.  McDonalds All-Americans don't go to Lawrentucky because of it's atmosphere or tradition, they go to KU because KU have a lot of players that make it to the NBA.  When the number of players KU puts in the NBA declines, so will recruiting.

I don't disagree with anything you're saying, I just expect that in the long term NIL money and program pedigree will be more closely related than they might be now.

The turning point will be when schools are able to pay their players directly. Schools outside of the Big 10 and SEC can keep up with NIL, but they can't keep up with tv money.

This is why I think it might be in Hurleys best interest to jump to UK now.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6679 on: April 09, 2024, 01:08:45 PM »
NIL is all that matters in getting players. If you pay the most, you will have a great team. Then you can afford to have a painful dork as a coach as long as he is good at teaching X and O.  Your school can be located in a crap hole and you’ll be just fine.

Put another way, great programs are purchased.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6680 on: April 09, 2024, 04:57:04 PM »

2024 FF Teams:   

2023 FF Teams:

that tv money that you’re talking about is already spoken for elsewhere.  so for your scenario to play out, something will have to give.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6681 on: April 09, 2024, 06:16:28 PM »

2024 FF Teams:   

2023 FF Teams:

that tv money that you’re talking about is already spoken for elsewhere.  so for your scenario to play out, something will have to give.
Like leaving the NCAA or changing the NCAA’s required number of sports.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6682 on: April 09, 2024, 06:27:58 PM »
Might be time to warm this thing up again, looks like Kentucky has zeroed in on Scott Drew

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6683 on: April 09, 2024, 06:28:19 PM »

2024 FF Teams:   

2023 FF Teams:

Like leaving the NCAA or changing the NCAA’s required number of sports.
They don't need to leave the NCAA. They already field more than the minimum number of sports and they will cut some of those to maximize what they are able to pay players.

Offline kstater

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6684 on: April 09, 2024, 09:06:17 PM »
Wouldn't Beard be a better fit for Kentucky than Drew?

Sent from my SM-S916U1 using Tapatalk

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6685 on: April 09, 2024, 09:06:58 PM »
Both got obscure Texas schools to the natty, only one of them won it.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6686 on: April 09, 2024, 09:20:23 PM »
But only one beat his lady (allegedly). That seems like a Kentucky thing.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6687 on: April 09, 2024, 09:36:02 PM »
Drew would be stupid to take that job.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6688 on: April 10, 2024, 07:25:40 AM »
Baylor will match. He stays at Baylor.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6689 on: April 10, 2024, 08:09:55 AM »

:pray:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6690 on: April 10, 2024, 08:15:48 AM »
Yeah, no way Baylor lets themselves get outbid.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6691 on: April 10, 2024, 08:24:35 AM »

Baylor can't possibly match, but I don't think they have to. I'd say, here's how much we can increase per year, how much goes to you, how much to staff, how much to nil?

If he stays, he'll have a shot at another title or at least making another final four in the next 5 years, they're renaming buildings and streets after him, he gets a statue and the Drew name is cemented in history. If he goes, he has some cash and could possibly destroy his legacy.
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6692 on: April 10, 2024, 08:36:55 AM »
What would Jesus do?

Prolly secure that bag.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6693 on: April 10, 2024, 08:58:55 AM »
Do people actually care about having streets and buildings named after them? Gross
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6694 on: April 10, 2024, 09:00:51 AM »
Being the victim of hero worship is like my worst nightmare
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6695 on: April 10, 2024, 09:01:39 AM »
What would Jesus do?

Prolly secure that bag.
Pay to Caesar what is Caesar’s, ima get mine.

-JC

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6696 on: April 10, 2024, 09:08:26 AM »

2024 FF Teams:   

2023 FF Teams:

I think coaching salaries are going to give.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6697 on: April 10, 2024, 09:22:11 AM »
Not sure what 'clams means that the money is spoken for elsewhere. Aren't schools just going to start making less investment in facilities?

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6698 on: April 10, 2024, 09:38:18 AM »
Do people actually care about having streets and buildings named after them? Gross

Seems like.
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6699 on: April 10, 2024, 09:42:10 AM »
Spracs Pavilion has a nice ring to it ...