Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 926907 times)

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #6650 on: April 08, 2024, 06:38:49 PM »
what a ride for pig aggie

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6651 on: April 08, 2024, 07:13:21 PM »
That crowd is used to some balltazing. Crosspost.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6652 on: April 08, 2024, 07:59:16 PM »
Cal's too busy walking dogs to be bothered
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6653 on: April 08, 2024, 10:40:16 PM »
who does arkansas really think they are, anyway?  let them rehire mike anderson and return to the decade of dozing. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #6654 on: April 08, 2024, 11:07:50 PM »
Oats turned them down. Drew may have a tough decision to make.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6655 on: April 09, 2024, 06:07:32 AM »
drew won’t leave baylor anymore than self would leave kansas, and we know that isn’t happening.

arkansas is in a tough position and will probably need to adjust their expectations accordingly

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6656 on: April 09, 2024, 06:19:53 AM »
I think he will ultimately end up at Ark
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #6657 on: April 09, 2024, 07:39:30 AM »
Calipari to Arkansas is being reported as a done deal by everyone.

CBS and others allege that Drew is on the short list for Kentucky. If he went, I wonder if Tang would want the Baylor job. My guess is that he would and that the interest would be mutual.

I kinda agree with clams that Drew is probably very happy at Baylor, having built them from nothing. BUT, what I fear is a situation where Drew agrees to leave it in the capable hands of his long time co-builder and friend Jerome Tang.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6658 on: April 09, 2024, 07:44:32 AM »
They might be interested in the Tech coach too

Among others

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6659 on: April 09, 2024, 09:25:29 AM »
Seems weird to build up a program to be a perennial top 20 team, win a Natty, and bail for another program.  How often does that happen?  I don't think very often which is why I don't see Drew leaving Baylor.  Seems like he has a good thing going and he can be there as long as he wants with limited pressure from fans/AD/UP.

Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6660 on: April 09, 2024, 09:30:41 AM »
Seems weird to build up a program to be a perennial top 20 team, win a Natty, and bail for another program.  How often does that happen?  I don't think very often which is why I don't see Drew leaving Baylor.  Seems like he has a good thing going and he can be there as long as he wants with limited pressure from fans/AD/UP.
This is true but Baylor is arguably the "lowest profile" school to win a championship in recent memory. Villanova is probably the closest comparison?

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6661 on: April 09, 2024, 09:42:18 AM »
Who is the early 2000's Bill Self of our current landscape?  He whipped ass for 3 years at ORU then whipped ass for 3 more years at Illinois. Has to be a mid 40's super star or two out there.

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6662 on: April 09, 2024, 09:49:22 AM »
Who is the early 2000's Bill Self of our current landscape?  He whipped ass for 3 years at ORU then whipped ass for 3 more years at Illinois. Has to be a mid 40's super star or two out there.

are you trying to get someone to say Brad Underwood so you don't have to?

Online Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #6663 on: April 09, 2024, 09:50:34 AM »

A lot of them flamed out when they got bigger jobs. Shaka at TX, like the last 3 guys that went to Indiana, etc. Maybe the guy that just went to Michigan if he can have some success there?

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6664 on: April 09, 2024, 09:53:47 AM »

Yeah, I get $$$ but the dude has enough of that and probably enjoys his position where he's at. Kentucky would have just insane expectations and that seems like a lot of stress that late in your career.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6665 on: April 09, 2024, 09:54:00 AM »
Otz isn't on the self trajectory but he might be the closest thing to it at the moment besides Oats who is apparently happy to stay at Bama.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6666 on: April 09, 2024, 09:57:30 AM »
Otz isn't on the self trajectory but he might be the closest thing to it at the moment besides Oats who is apparently happy to stay at Bama.

I think this also speaks to the new NIL landscape. If you got a good thing going why bail for place that is going to have an insufferable fanbase. You have to not only have the trajectory but the ego to take over a place like that. Obviously Kentucky is a helluva job. But I feel like you got to have the right personality to want it too. Oats and Otz can be worshipped by their respective fanbases for what they are doing, and get a raise out of it too.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6667 on: April 09, 2024, 10:03:45 AM »
This is true but Baylor is arguably the "lowest profile" school to win a championship in recent memory. Villanova is probably the closest comparison?

Not sure school's profile matters anymore if you have NIL support + fan/AD/UP support.  I think this is why we have seen some hall of fame coaches retire in the last couple years.  I don't think Kentucky/KU/UCLA/Duke/Michigan State/North Carolina names will continue to hold the weight they used to.  The "name" is no longer needed to bring in great players and contend for titles.  The last two years represent the new NIL landscape, and I don't think many of us would have predicted not a single Blue Blood (UCONN is now BB though) making the FF. 

2024 FF Teams:   
Bama, Purdue, NC State, and UCONN

2023 FF Teams:
SDST, Miami, FIU, and UCONN

Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6668 on: April 09, 2024, 10:40:10 AM »

Not sure school's profile matters anymore if you have NIL support + fan/AD/UP support.  I think this is why we have seen some hall of fame coaches retire in the last couple years.  I don't think Kentucky/KU/UCLA/Duke/Michigan State/North Carolina names will continue to hold the weight they used to.  The "name" is no longer needed to bring in great players and contend for titles.  The last two years represent the new NIL landscape, and I don't think many of us would have predicted not a single Blue Blood (UCONN is now BB though) making the FF. 

2024 FF Teams:   

2023 FF Teams:

I think long term, NIL support will be more closely related to profile. Higher profile/blue bloods will win in the NIL/Portal era.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6669 on: April 09, 2024, 11:34:13 AM »

2024 FF Teams:   

2023 FF Teams:

I think long term, NIL support will be more closely related to profile. Higher profile/blue bloods will win in the NIL/Portal era.
:nono:
NIL money will be king, program pedigree will be down the list of priorities for top recruits.  What WILL be a deciding factor is the number of players the program lands in the NBA.  McDonalds All-Americans don't go to Lawrentucky because of it's atmosphere or tradition, they go to KU because KU has had a lot of players make it to the NBA.  If the number of players KU puts in the NBA declines, so will recruiting. 

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6670 on: April 09, 2024, 11:37:38 AM »

2024 FF Teams:   

2023 FF Teams:

NIL money will be king, program pedigree will be down the list of priorities for top recruits.  What WILL be a deciding factor is the number of players the program that land in the NBA.  McDonalds All-Americans don't go to Lawrentucky because of it's atmosphere or tradition, they go to KU because KU have a lot of players that make it to the NBA.  When the number of players KU puts in the NBA declines, so will recruiting.

I don't disagree with anything you're saying, I just expect that in the long term NIL money and program pedigree will be more closely related than they might be now.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6671 on: April 09, 2024, 12:05:13 PM »
I think it will be less. It always has been and always will be coaches first. I think "pedigree" will fall and size of alumni base will rise. I don't want to pick on ku specifically (and K-State is in the same spot without the benefit of "pedigree") but I have no idea how they expect to keep up nil money with schools that have 2-3 times the enrollment and alumni. Maybe they can get by focusing on basketball while those big schools focus on football, but the numbers just don't work out for them. Kentucky and Duke may hold on because they have a national following.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6672 on: April 09, 2024, 12:09:36 PM »
Like, we've seen this model in the MLB, sure a small market team can win sometimes but that's the exception.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6673 on: April 09, 2024, 12:11:50 PM »

2024 FF Teams:   

2023 FF Teams:

NIL money will be king, program pedigree will be down the list of priorities for top recruits.  What WILL be a deciding factor is the number of players the program that land in the NBA.  McDonalds All-Americans don't go to Lawrentucky because of it's atmosphere or tradition, they go to KU because KU have a lot of players that make it to the NBA.  When the number of players KU puts in the NBA declines, so will recruiting.

I don't disagree with anything you're saying, I just expect that in the long term NIL money and program pedigree will be more closely related than they might be now.

I think the big money doners that were paying the under the counter money to players probably have a little sticker shock, now that NIL is increasing exponentially, compared to what they used to pay for players

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6674 on: April 09, 2024, 12:22:51 PM »

2024 FF Teams:   

2023 FF Teams:

NIL money will be king, program pedigree will be down the list of priorities for top recruits.  What WILL be a deciding factor is the number of players the program lands in the NBA.  McDonalds All-Americans don't go to Lawrentucky because of it's atmosphere or tradition, they go to KU because KU has had a lot of players make it to the NBA.  If the number of players KU puts in the NBA declines, so will recruiting.
I was interested to note that Hurley wasted zero time mentioning his ability to get guys to the NBA during on court interview immediately following the game last night.