Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 936241 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #4650 on: March 19, 2016, 09:21:21 PM »
Currie was pretty cold blooded about Deb.  He was very cold blooded about Leti and Angel.  He was certainly methodical and cold blooded on getting rid of Frank.  He wants to win, he just will not tolerate NCAA issues (self-preservation? anti-Frank?)  I think we all agree that the oscar hire was a disaster that we all saw coming and Currie did not.  Brad would've been a much better hire in retrospect, but although he had support at the time and would've been less controversial among K-Staters, he was also more of a risk.

I am saying that I am going to wait until after the Final Four to extinguish all hope on the life of K-State hoops.  For now, I take succor in the words of John Fogerty.

Pack my bag and let's get moving
'Cause I'm bound to drift awhile
Though I'm gone, gone
You don't have to worry
Long as I can see the light

The Big Train

« Reply #4651 on: March 19, 2016, 09:26:56 PM »
i really do hope Currie at least reconsiders

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: March 19, 2016, 09:35:18 PM »
Cold blooded Currie hired oscar because he knew he would win right away.  It's the only logical explanation.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: March 20, 2016, 02:32:55 AM »
Look at/listen to this rough ridin' stud of studs.

https://youtu.be/Ko1lwWkxEHs?t=44s

« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 02:46:32 AM by nicname »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: March 20, 2016, 08:42:04 AM »
He talks like Frank.

catzacker

« Reply #4655 on: March 20, 2016, 09:18:17 AM »
Currie was pretty cold blooded about Deb.  He was very cold blooded about Leti and Angel.  He was certainly methodical and cold blooded on getting rid of Frank.  He wants to win, he just will not tolerate NCAA issues (self-preservation? anti-Frank?)  I think we all agree that the oscar hire was a disaster that we all saw coming and Currie did not.  Brad would've been a much better hire in retrospect, but although he had support at the time and would've been less controversial among K-Staters, he was also more of a risk.

Deb was making 600K/yr.  Mittie came in and made 375K/yr (w/ 25K escalations each year).  I don't know what we had to pay her when she left, but John made money on firing Deb.  Or it was close to a neutral proposition.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: March 20, 2016, 10:34:24 AM »
Why were we paying wbb coach that much and not winning tourneys?

Gonna win 'em all! (using Tapatalk)

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: March 20, 2016, 12:08:43 PM »

Couple things...
He wasn't coldblooded about Angel -- the kid wanted to transfer, so he transferred.
He didn't get rid of Frank.
At the time oscar was hired, Brad had never been a major college head coach. At the time most of the folks on here were campaigning for Doug Gottlieb, not Brad. A bit revisionist history to say Currie should have seen Brad's potential at the time, when most K-State fans didn't either.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: March 20, 2016, 12:19:02 PM »

Couple things...
He wasn't coldblooded about Angel -- the kid wanted to transfer, so he transferred.
At the time oscar was hired, Brad had never been a major college head coach. At the time most of the folks on here were campaigning for Doug Gottlieb, not Brad. A bit revisionist history to say Currie should have seen Brad's potential at the time, when most K-State fans didn't either.

Re:  Angel, see Leti's allegations.  We will never hear Currie on the record on the matter due to FERPA.  http://www.bringonthecats.com/2014/5/2/5675012/k-states-athletic-department-wont-release-leticia-romero-should-they

The Frank-Currie relationship was a complete lol-fest and it is completely unnecessary to go blow-by-blow on how Currie mishandled it.  I am not excusing Frank's role, but Currie was certainly the number one reason Frank left.

I attempted to make clear that Brad was not the consensus pick, but everyone would've rallied around it.  It had the benefit of following the model of Frank Martin, which was a successful hire by almost any measure and internal assistant hires from successful programs are very normal.

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: March 20, 2016, 12:25:35 PM »
What is slightly better?  Would having a Texas Tech type season be enough to keep him?  That kinda what I am envisioning we will be next year and would be my worst nightmare.  I either want him to suck or totally blow our minds and have us in the top 4 of the big 12 and get a 4 seed.

This is where I'm at. A Texas Tech type season would be the worst. Unfortunately, it seems like the most likely scenario.

A Texas Tech season would give us an 8 seed in the tourney, and would give us a five year stretch of 3 NCAAs in 5 years with a conference title.

Over any 5 year period:
1. what is your definition of "success" for K-State basketball
2. what do believe is john currie's definition of "success" for K-State basketball
3. does style matter (personality of coach, likability, having a brand etc) more than the results
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 12:33:43 PM by captaincrap »

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: March 20, 2016, 12:29:03 PM »
Over a 5 year period I want 4 NCAAs 1 NIT no losing season, 2 seasons in the top 3 in the big 12 one run to a Sweet 16 or better, never a losing season.

Currie's definition for success is no scandal and post season 3 out of 5 years.

Yes having a brand and a non loser personality matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: March 20, 2016, 12:37:18 PM »
What is slightly better?  Would having a Texas Tech type season be enough to keep him?  That kinda what I am envisioning we will be next year and would be my worst nightmare.  I either want him to suck or totally blow our minds and have us in the top 4 of the big 12 and get a 4 seed.

This is where I'm at. A Texas Tech type season would be the worst. Unfortunately, it seems like the most likely scenario.

A Texas Tech season would give us an 8 seed in the tourney, and would give us a five year stretch of 3 NCAAs in 5 years with a conference title.

Over any 5 year period:
2. what do believe is john currie's definition of "success" for K-State basketball
3. does style matter (personality of coach, likability, having a brand etc)

1. Minimum: Reason for hope for a sweet 16 every few years.  A Tech like season next year doesn't do it.  Also, stop with including "with a conference title".  No reasonable KSU fans believe oscar can recreate the situation he walked into his first year.
2. Good enough so the revenue isn't so low that he doesn't have to fire oscar before he moves on.
3. You're trying to make this a style thing.  I don't consider excuse making a style attribute.  Continual excuse making and begging for NITs, like oscar did, is a factor.  It leads to the no hope feeling in point 1.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 12:40:44 PM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: March 20, 2016, 12:42:03 PM »
Re:  Angel, see Leti's allegations.  We will never hear Currie on the record on the matter due to FERPA.  http://www.bringonthecats.com/2014/5/2/5675012/k-states-athletic-department-wont-release-leticia-romero-should-they

Leti was wrong, either accidentally or intentionally.
http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=27475.msg1098233#msg1098233

No one else, including Angel himself, has given any indication that Angel was not able to transfer when he wanted.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: March 20, 2016, 12:42:15 PM »
Also, a tech like season next year doesn't equal an 8 seed.  With what ISU and OU are losing, I doubt the conference will have the RPI to get its 7th place team an 8 seed.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: March 20, 2016, 12:48:03 PM »

Couple things...

I'm one of your biggest supporters here, but your 2 about Frank is a bold face lie and makes people here really question you.  And yeah some wanted Doug, I believe, after it was clear ADJC was burning down the entire coaching staff and starting new.  Most wanted Doug for the fun of it being outside the box.  Instead we got a coach worse than Romeo Crennel.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4665 on: March 20, 2016, 12:49:24 PM »
Our school should never miss the post season and never post a sub-.500 record. Doing either, for any reason, is failing. I don't believe anyone would find this unreasonable

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4666 on: March 20, 2016, 12:51:08 PM »

Over any 5 year period:
3. does style matter (personality of coach, likability, having a brand etc) more than the results

being a complete dipshit who cannot string a coherent sentence together. having no respect from your players bc you sound and act like said dipshit. you can spin it however you want, cc, but this was a terrible hire of a "nice", but incompetent coach.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: March 20, 2016, 12:52:55 PM »
Blackcats is much more my speed.  At least he brings the zeal.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

catzacker

« Reply #4668 on: March 20, 2016, 12:54:53 PM »
OMFG, Captain.  Frank's worst rough ridin' season was the NIT in 5years and Currie was more than happy to let him walk.  This after the program had gone to one rough ridin' post season in like 15yrs.  Yet I'm supposed to see oscar's consecutive years of no post season as some sort of success.  OMG.  eff you, dude.  eff you and everyone in the administration that thinks like you.  Seriously. 

Offline BostonPancake

• Katpak'r
  • I'm all about the T in TSC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: March 20, 2016, 12:57:22 PM »

Over any 5 year period:

1.  I want to be in the NCAA tournament every year.  When we make the NCAA tournament we should at least play to our seed 3 out of every 4 years.  But, in the event we are not in the NCAA I want to make the NIT.  Further, the reason we didn't make it is because we were in some type of transition because we had some really good / great players from the previous year graduate and now we are building back up to that level.  We would have struggled early on, but by the end of the year we could really see things coming together and and NIT berth would set the stage for the next year to be something exciting.  We should also be able to win a game or two.

2.  Revenue stays at whatever level he deems appropriate.  Recruit outstanding student athletes and other non quantifiable measures.

3.  Winning makes up for any shortcoming with style, likability, etc.  Doesn't matter to me if we are winning.  If we are winning, those things will take care of themselves.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4670 on: March 20, 2016, 12:58:05 PM »
It's not a good time right now to ask Angel about the Leti/transfer stuff.  He's in the middle of something.

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4671 on: March 20, 2016, 12:59:22 PM »

Couple things...

I'm one of your biggest supporters here, but your 2 about Frank is a bold face lie and makes people here really question you.

JC and FM were not best friends, but they don't have to be. There was no reason FM couldn't have remained as kstates head coach. He was offered a contract extension.

Frank was/is very popular, so it is very easy to blame Currie for Frank leaving (making him unhappy, not trying harder to keep him, etc). Frank was ultimately the one who decided it wasn't sustainable here and chose to leave. At minimum, they both are to blame (and to be fair, I think several people on here have said this). It isn't accurate to paint Currie alone as the reason FM is gone.

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: March 20, 2016, 01:00:14 PM »
Our school should never miss the post season and never post a sub-.500 record. Doing either, for any reason, is failing. I don't believe anyone would find this unreasonable

I agree.

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: March 20, 2016, 01:04:49 PM »
OMFG, Captain.  Frank's worst rough ridin' season was the NIT in 5years and Currie was more than happy to let him walk.  This after the program had gone to one rough ridin' post season in like 15yrs.  Yet I'm supposed to see oscar's consecutive years of no post season as some sort of success.  OMG.  eff you, dude.  eff you and everyone in the administration that thinks like you.  Seriously.

:confused:

Offline PIPE

• Katpak'r
  • Always a pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4674 on: March 20, 2016, 01:15:27 PM »
We should not only make the NCAA next year, we have to win a freakin game! If we make it and bow out after day one, then Weber will have 0 post season wins in 5 years!!!

Unfreakin unacceptable... Texas Tech season? Play above average ball and get thumped day one? If that is acceptable for the administration, then I give up ..... :buh-bye:
Awaiting the inevitable KITN