Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 943477 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #4550 on: March 19, 2016, 01:49:33 PM »
i cannot imagine that they will sell more tickets than this year.  the decline may not be as great as i'd expect, but it is unfathomable that there is an increase.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

The Big Train

« Reply #4551 on: March 19, 2016, 01:50:28 PM »
Stop it _BBB :frown:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: March 19, 2016, 01:54:54 PM »
Another thing to consider is  Fan is right that Currie isn't stupid, which is why he wouldn't fire a coach showing any improvement in consecutive seasons after letting him blow up the roster and rebuild.

This team did not show any improvement from last season.
It was perceived as improvement by many. Plus a better overall record and NIT bubble.

There is no such thing as the NIT bubble. It is full of teams that ended up on the wrong side of the NCAA tournament bubble and teams who won their crappy conference in the regular season but blew it in the conference tournament. Nobody who gets into the NIT is happy to be there.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: March 19, 2016, 01:56:49 PM »

Another thing to consider is  Fan is right that Currie isn't stupid, which is why he wouldn't fire a coach showing any improvement in consecutive seasons after letting him blow up the roster and rebuild.

It was perceived as improvement by many. Plus a better overall record and NIT bubble.

There is no such thing as the NIT bubble. It is full of teams that ended up on the wrong side of the NCAA tournament bubble and teams who won their crappy conference in the regular season but blew it in the conference tournament. Nobody who gets into the NIT is happy to be there.

Perception is all that matters

The Big Train

« Reply #4554 on: March 19, 2016, 01:57:44 PM »

oscar would be if he could get there

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: March 19, 2016, 01:58:27 PM »
i cannot imagine that they will sell more tickets than this year.  the decline may not be as great as i'd expect, but it is unfathomable that there is an increase.
Why would you expect a decline? I can understand why you might have expected one before this season or after Angel left, but not from this season to next.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: March 19, 2016, 02:01:23 PM »

Perception is all that matters

perceived perception

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: March 19, 2016, 02:02:16 PM »
Why would you expect a decline?

common sense

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: March 19, 2016, 02:03:43 PM »
I like the couple of you talking about Currie's house burning down with him in it.  Figuratively of course.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4559 on: March 19, 2016, 02:07:03 PM »
People defend oscar because they feel like people who don't like oscar are Frankites. I think oscar's support is much more the inability to say that they were wrong about Frank. This team was rough ridin' terrible to watch this year. Even folks who say they've got oscar's back will decide they've got better crap to do than watch oscar lick his lips for two hours. I just don't think there's a lot of gungho oscar fans out there. Attendance won't go down a ton, but it will go down noticeably.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4560 on: March 19, 2016, 02:15:14 PM »

oscar would be if he could get there

This is why we never had a chance to get in. There is no better test than asking yourself if your team would be happy with an NIT bid. If the answer is "yes" then they aren't getting in. If it's "no" then they are most likely NIT-bound because if they were going to the NCAA you wouldn't be worried enough to ponder the NIT.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: March 19, 2016, 02:16:29 PM »
yeah, I think we have reached the bottom on attendance.  OkState is a fan base more accustomed to winning after 15 years of Eddie and we don't have an elite NBA team in KC.  It will take a Ohfer or close to it for us to get back to 4k for a conference home game.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: March 19, 2016, 02:17:26 PM »
Why would you expect a decline? I can understand why you might have expected one before this season or after Angel left, but not from this season to next.

a.  because that's what happens when a team has a poor year.  ticket sales reflect the previous year far more than they do predictions for the year the tickets are for.  and successive poor years generates a cumulative effect.

b.  because the mood of kstate fans on message boards is substantially more critical than it was last year.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: March 19, 2016, 02:18:23 PM »
I like the couple of you talking about Currie's house burning down with him in it.  Figuratively of course.

it's not a threat, it's an expression of concern.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: March 19, 2016, 02:19:33 PM »
The only people I know that still go are RealMikeT and KK+1.  I'm sure RealMikeT will keep going, KK probably has to, not sure about +1.  But that's at least a 66% retention rate.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: March 19, 2016, 02:19:49 PM »
There is no better test than asking yourself if your team would be happy with an NIT bid. If the answer is "yes" then they aren't getting in. If it's "no" then they are most likely NIT-bound because if they were going to the NCAA you wouldn't be worried enough to ponder the NIT.

that's a good observation.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: March 19, 2016, 02:24:36 PM »
I think there will be plenty of fans like canary next year.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #4567 on: March 19, 2016, 02:27:39 PM »
oscar just needs to win 3 more conference gsmes next year to assure he'll be back for at least two more.   

Honestly all that really needs to happen is a compelling excuse and he's fine.  KSU fans and or AD  have shown themselves more than willing to tolerate mediocre basketball. 

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: March 19, 2016, 02:33:59 PM »
I don't think oscar will win 8 conference games next year. Counting on two dudes who had season ending injuries (one of whom never played a single minute) and a guy who is still not eligible yet, plus two projects and a backup for Westicles somehow doesn't add up to 8 wins for me, especially when you take away our starting center and leading scorer from last year.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: March 19, 2016, 02:36:07 PM »
8 wins isn't that hard.  i'd probably put my expectations at 7-11 give or take 2 wins in either direction.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: March 19, 2016, 02:39:33 PM »

a.  because that's what happens when a team has a poor year.  ticket sales reflect the previous year far more than they do predictions for the year the tickets are for.  and successive poor years generates a cumulative effect.
Has this been shown to be true at ksu?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: March 19, 2016, 02:40:45 PM »
why would it be different?

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: March 19, 2016, 02:42:12 PM »

There were plenty of Wooly supporters, everybody pretty much generally supported the guy at least for awhile. The arena was rough ridin' barren in spite of that.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: March 19, 2016, 02:42:55 PM »

Even if it was, I'm not convinced KSU ticket buyers perceived this season as worse than last.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: March 19, 2016, 02:49:18 PM »
they don't have to perceive it as worse.  it's just two poor years vs one.