Author Topic: Hard to believe we lost  (Read 6211 times)

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
Re: Hard to believe we lost
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2011, 11:30:09 PM »

Give the ball to Denis.
Did you see pullens heat check 3 tonight, so hawt!

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2011, 11:31:07 PM »
Wisky is a better basketball team than us.

This does not follow from them beating us head to head.  Even if they beat us head to head ten times out of ten.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2011, 11:31:37 PM »
It's ok to play their pace you just can't have fast empty possessions when it counts.

No, it is okay to play at their pace.  But it's a disadvantage.

Over the course of the season, taking care of the ball has been a weak point.  It's always a possibility that it won't be in that game, but the odds probably aren't in your favor.

This was the game Wisconsin wanted to play.  They hit about 50% from three and they got to the line as much as we did.  I bet if there's cac drawn up somewhere on a whiteboard in the locker room, you'd see these on there somewhere.

How do you create pace then?

We pushed the ball as much as possible against Wisconsin. Unless you turn them over, you have no chance at creating pace.

I'm not saying we could create pace.   You are correct that no one can speed them up.  I was actually really impressed with our outlets after defensive rebounds. I'm saying that because we played at their pace (voluntarily or involuntarily) it was a disadvantage to us because of what you pointed out in your post just a couple of spots up in this thread.

Wisconsin had a significant chance to win this game if they didn't turn the ball over and kept the pace low (check), hit a high 3Pt rate (check), and they got to the line as much (or more) than we did (check).  When you're playing a team that, statistically, doesn't shoot as well as you do from the foul line (and let's face it, no one shoots as well as they do from the foul line), that's + points for them.  When they shoot a high percentage from 3, it's going to matter more because of the lack of possessions (as illustrated by their extremely high efficiency).

I'm going to give our guys a hell of a lot of credit.  They played Wisky straight up and took their best shot when they played textbook Whisky ball.  And it was almost an Herculean effort from Jake that nearly single-handedly beat a damn good team that played the exact game they wanted to play.

I'm not being critical.  I'm just saying that this is why I didn't like going up against Wisconsin in the first place.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2011, 11:31:42 PM »
We played right at Wisconsin's pace.  It's hard to beat a good team on a neutral floor if you're playing the game they want you to play.

There really isn't anything you can do about it.  You can rush shots on offense, but they will not let you speed them up on defense.  That is what is so tough, especially for a team like the Cats.  We play such aggressive defense that it is hard work running around defending for 35 seconds a possession.  They don't just stand around either.  They make you work the whole time.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2011, 11:34:32 PM »
We played right at Wisconsin's pace.  It's hard to beat a good team on a neutral floor if you're playing the game they want you to play.

There really isn't anything you can do about it.  You can rush shots on offense, but they will not let you speed them up on defense.  That is what is so tough, especially for a team like the Cats.  We play such aggressive defense that it is hard work running around defending for 35 seconds a possession.  They don't just stand around either.  They make you work the whole time.

See my post above.  I know we can't speed them up.  I never said, "Hey, we need to speed them up."

I'm saying that when you fight a guy that wants to drag you into the mud with him and fight his way, you're at a disadvantage.  It's not one you can negate.  It's just something you have to overcome.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2011, 11:41:33 PM »

See my post above.  I know we can't speed them up.  I never said, "Hey, we need to speed them up."

I'm saying that when you fight a guy that wants to drag you into the mud with him and fight his way, you're at a disadvantage.  It's not one you can negate.  It's just something you have to overcome.

Sorry bro.  Didn't read the whole thread.  Good post.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2011, 11:45:11 PM »

No, it's cool.  I kind of got over some of the anger/disappointment and ultimately started really appreciating what these guys were able to do tonight.

I only watched Wisconsin play a couple of games this year, but I'd say this was probably one of their best games of the year all things considered.  I'm proud of the guys for stepping up and playing their game and nearly beating them while doing it.

There's a reason Bo Ryan has the highest winning percentage in Big Ten history.  Whisky ball is a [redacted].

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2011, 11:51:41 PM »

There really isn't anything you can do about it.  You can rush shots on offense, but they will not let you speed them up on defense.  That is what is so tough, especially for a team like the Cats.  We play such aggressive defense that it is hard work running around defending for 35 seconds a possession.  They don't just stand around either.  They make you work the whole time.

No, it's cool.  I kind of got over some of the anger/disappointment and ultimately started really appreciating what these guys were able to do tonight.

I only watched Wisconsin play a couple of games this year, but I'd say this was probably one of their best games of the year all things considered.  I'm proud of the guys for stepping up and playing their game and nearly beating them while doing it.

There's a reason Bo Ryan has the highest winning percentage in Big Ten history.  Whisky ball is a mothereffer.

you find a bunch of tall guys who can shoot with amazing consistency and who aren't actually all that unathletic, and you've got yourself a fine ballclub.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2011, 11:57:36 PM »

There really isn't anything you can do about it.  You can rush shots on offense, but they will not let you speed them up on defense.  That is what is so tough, especially for a team like the Cats.  We play such aggressive defense that it is hard work running around defending for 35 seconds a possession.  They don't just stand around either.  They make you work the whole time.

There's a reason Bo Ryan has the highest winning percentage in Big Ten history.  Whisky ball is a mothereffer.

you find a bunch of tall guys who can shoot with amazing consistency and who aren't actually all that unathletic, and you've got yourself a fine ballclub.

What makes it a bitch is that it's a repeatable system.  It's like a rock solid business model that you can just plug and play into an organization with high turnover.

They'll never win a national title because their best players will never be as good as a lot of other teams.  But they're going to win a shitload of games because it's the same goddamn crap night in and night out.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2011, 12:01:10 AM »
Pan, I understand what you are saying on pace/style, and its spot on. Ryan really does an amazing job finding guys and getting them to play.

And back to the hard to believe we lost point.

I really thought the keys were going to be the Pullen/Taylor and Kelly/Leuer match-ups. We absolutely owned those.

Man.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2011, 12:05:51 AM »
Absolutely devastating. I really thought we had it. I'm just in a numb state right now. I don't know what to do.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2011, 12:08:36 AM »
Pan, I understand what you are saying on pace/style, and its spot on. Ryan really does an amazing job finding guys and getting them to play.

I really thought the keys were going to be the Pullen/Taylor and Kelly/Leuer match-ups. We absolutely owned those.

Man.

If you were to give me the numbers for those matchups and then do a blind test where I had to pick win or lose, I would have said win without hesitation.

The damn three pointers.  Those guys can just make it rain.

And I'll hate that ginger for eternity.

Offline EMAW SP8

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2011, 12:10:29 AM »

Man.

If you were to give me the numbers for those matchups and then do a blind test where I had to pick win or lose, I would have said win without hesitation.

The damn three pointers.  Those guys can just make it rain.

This...god damn GinJew

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2011, 12:12:32 AM »

This...god damn GinJew

I would love the crap out of him if he played for us. It just makes me hate him that much more. Goofy looking bastard.

Offline gokatgo

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2011, 12:20:15 AM »
CRACKER ASS CRACKERS!!!

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2011, 12:21:52 AM »
Absolutely devastating. I really thought we had it. I'm just in a numb state right now. I don't know what to do.

This post pretty much sums up my thoughts right now

Offline CatsFan_58

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2011, 12:24:40 AM »
yes... i am absolutely distraught...