Author Topic: BOATS!!  (Read 11660 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: BOATS!!
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2020, 02:18:52 PM »
The more the merrier, up to 4 people or 880 pounds.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2020, 03:31:51 PM »
Make sure and get one of these to wear while boat'n.

Also, you need to come up with a name for your craft and have a proper christening. 
@mikec2w

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2020, 06:18:40 PM »
Definitely.

I can’t believe the video of that whole scene isn’t online somewhere.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2020, 09:13:25 PM »
That raft would look sweet with a Ferrari rear end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2020, 09:53:23 PM »
Yep.  wetwillie, will this work?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2020, 12:44:07 AM »
Maiden voyage earlier today, pretty fun! My dog’s gonna take a bit to feel comfortable. Def buying the motor and all that.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2020, 01:16:14 AM »
pics brah
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2020, 12:12:56 AM »
@wetwillie

These motors are hard to find this time of year.  I ended up ordering this one today when it briefly went from out-of-stock to 2 left.  Looks like it's already out of stock again.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Newport-Vessels-X-Series-55lb-Thrust-Transom-Mounted-Saltwater-Electric-Trolling-Motor-w-LED-Battery-Indicator-36-Shaft/46851662

I've already bought the minn kota battery box, still have to get the battery.  The instructions for the motor recommend a circuit breaker.  Did you put one on and if so, which one and where?

Last thing I'll need is a charger for the battery.  Link me one, keeping in mind I don't have my own garage to keep it all plugged in all the time.  I'd either have to do it on my balcony, or charge it in my place when I need to use it.  If the charger is dependent on the battery, link me the best combo.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2020, 12:17:09 AM »
The reviews on the Costco one make it seem like the ideal way to charge it is what I'd be forced to do rather than it constantly sitting on a charger.

I have two of these batteries in my RV, I keep them charged by plugging in once a month for a day or two when the RV is not being used. I only use it maybe 5 or 6 times a year, so it sits alot. I never ever leave it plugged in all the time, I dont care what kind of high dollar charger/inverter/converter you have leaving them plugged in is not good.
I bought a set in early 2015 and They are starying to fail. Its 4/22/20 and im heading to Costco for another set today.

Read through these reviews and find a common theme among the induhviduals that leave negative reviews - hint: it's because they trickle charged. This evaporates the water out of the battery and destroys it. If you store these charged (not on a charger) and keep them charged at least every four months they last 5-7 years.

I have 2 batteries purchased 2 years ago for my boat. I give them a fresh charge every spring and I have had no trouble.

But none of them specify their charger.

https://www.costco.com/interstate-27dc-marine--rv-battery.product.100476408.html

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2020, 02:13:50 AM »
Nobody cares, Trim. No one ever has.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2020, 01:06:58 PM »
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2020, 01:25:59 PM »
Perfect, T-Y.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2020, 11:53:16 PM »
Finally.  :thumbs:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
BOATS!!
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2022, 07:09:41 PM »
I am starting my research for a boat purchase this coming spring and would appreciate input for you seamen on what I should get.

I intend to keep my boat on the same lake, never need a trailer. I expect that for the next 3 or 4 summers I will use it for 50% cruising around, 30% fishing and 20% pulling someone on something (mostly tubes, occasionally a skier on basic 2 skis not wake or slalom).

A few members of my family don’s get around too well, so I am a very strong toward a pontoon…super easy to board from the dock and stable on water.  I highly value a reliably starting motor, and I definitely want a 4 stroke EFI.

I also want to try and keep this well under $20K, so that rules out new boats.  I think I probably either need a 5-10 year old boat/motor, or a an even older boat with a new motor.

EDIT: I will use this thing probably 5 times a week on a slow week, and double that on a busy week, for 2.5 months in the summer annually.

Should I go old ass rough boat with fancy new motor (Millennium Falcon, got it where it counts), or nicer boat with older motor?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 07:13:39 PM by Pete »

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2022, 07:12:12 PM »
Whatcha think about the Bayliner E21
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2022, 07:46:21 PM »
Whatcha think about the Bayliner E21

Those would be pretty good.  I like them.  But, I want to spend less than that, and want have a front mount trolling motor (forgot to mention that). Also at least one live well.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2022, 07:47:23 PM »
Maybe I just need to buy an old rotten pontoon boat and refurbish it?  There are some sites that have all the stuff to do it. https://www.pontoonstuff.com/pages/renovating-your-pontoon-boat

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2022, 07:55:16 PM »
You already locked in where you’ll be keeping this thing, how much that costs, maintenance, tax, insurance, etc.?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2022, 07:58:06 PM »
Slip and dockage fees aren't cheap. Source: I'm a part-time marina transactional lawyer, now.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2022, 08:13:19 PM »
As a former boat owner I can confirm that the two best days are the day you buy your boat and the day you sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2022, 08:13:47 PM »
I have a little cabin on a little lake in Minnesota, so that the dock is just my dock. I'll have to get a canopy/boat lift too.  My in-laws have a couple cabins on this same lake, and teach me all that junk.  They have a service that comes and pulls the docks and boats out and stores the boats in October, and then puts it all back in the spring.  So, I'm pretty locked in on all that stuff.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2022, 08:40:42 PM »
I have a little cabin on a little lake in Minnesota, so that the dock is just my dock. I'll have to get a canopy/boat lift too.  My in-laws have a couple cabins on this same lake, and teach me all that junk.  They have a service that comes and pulls the docks and boats out and stores the boats in October, and then puts it all back in the spring.  So, I'm pretty locked in on all that stuff.

In that case, relatively splurge on the boat. Here, all that crap is where the cost adds up.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2022, 08:54:54 PM »

In that case, relatively splurge on the boat. Here, all that crap is where the cost adds up.

That's what I am thinking.  YOLO!

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2022, 09:06:48 PM »
You should’ve come up for a week this summer when I was going to the lake ever-y-day and you’d have seen every option there is and no shortage of people who’d have talked to you about them 4 eva.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2022, 09:19:58 PM »
EDIT: I will use this thing probably 5 times a week on a slow week, and double that on a busy week, for 2.5 months in the summer annually.

Pete, I’m curious your process for this on a busy week? Seems like it might not be possible.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f