Author Topic: Holy War  (Read 139749 times)

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Religion,Bible,Church, Etc. Thread
« Reply #375 on: March 07, 2011, 04:58:14 PM »
Atheism is an impossibility.
all-powerful being of which there is not a shred of evidence,

Already covered why this isn't true.

Also could cover the anthropic principle and the properties of the universe that had to be exactly right. You can either explain this with a multiverse or a god. Either 'solution' is ridiculous and yet we have loads of people reporting seeing an actual god while dead... I'll side with a god.

The universe is exactly right

Offline the KHAN!

• Katpak'r
  • The Prince of Darkness and Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 07, 2011, 05:14:07 PM »

Also could cover the anthropic principle and the properties of the universe that had to be exactly right. You can either explain this with a multiverse or a god. Either 'solution' is ridiculous and yet we have loads of people reporting seeing an actual god while dead... I'll side with a god.

Not to mention the arguments that can be made from a philosophical standpoint. Of course, these arguments are usually brushed aside without consideration because the Divine word "SCIENCE" was not shouted during the proposition. I've already covered the hypocrisy many are guilty of when it comes to demanding evidence of God, but not of most everything else in their life.
The Scheme Doctor
Up the Banana Wall

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 07, 2011, 05:34:01 PM »

Not to mention the arguments that can be made from a philosophical standpoint. Of course, these arguments are usually brushed aside without consideration because the Divine word "SCIENCE" was not shouted during the proposition. I've already covered the hypocrisy many are guilty of when it comes to demanding evidence of God, but not of most everything else in their life.

But that's the thing, religious people answer things in their life by just asking "God". Talk about taking the easy way out.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 07, 2011, 08:56:27 PM »

But that's the thing, religious people answer things in their life by just asking "God". Talk about taking the easy way out.

I would argue that the religious life is more difficult for many than the life of an atheist.  To be clear, I'm talking about simple anti-authority or anti-god anarchists., I'm not talking about learned, intelligent people who have done serious soul-searching and fact finding and have come to the conclusion that the possibility of a God is minute, I believe they may have the toughest time of all.   
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline the KHAN!

• Katpak'r
  • The Prince of Darkness and Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 07, 2011, 11:27:23 PM »

I would argue that the religious life is more difficult for many than the life of an atheist.  To be clear, I'm talking about simple anti-authority or anti-god anarchists., I'm not talking about learned, intelligent people who have done serious soul-searching and fact finding and have come to the conclusion that the possibility of a God is minute, I believe they may have the toughest time of all.   

I'll grant that we all have a very difficult time, those of us who actually seek truth, no matter what conclusion we get.
The Scheme Doctor
Up the Banana Wall

Offline skycat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 08, 2011, 04:01:16 AM »

This is one of the dumbest assertions that theists make. It's just disbelief that anyone could not believe in God. Funny: You believe with all your heart in an all-powerful being of which there is not a shred of evidence, yet you don't believe that people can be atheists even when they tell you, yes, I really am an atheist.

Theism is an impossibility. There, that makes just as much sense as what you said.

I actually agree with PW on this one, at least partially.  Not saying that the belief is impossible, but that it is impossible that there isn't some greater power.  I used to lean toward atheism, as I feel like science explains all but one thing very well.  That one thing is what keeps me from being full on atheist.  That one thing is what got the whole process started. 

Go back to the starting point.  How did it all get kicked off?  Its one of those questions that can be argued more than any other. 

You don't need a "greater power" or a starting point if you posit an oscillatory universe. An oscillatory universe is eternal. Sounds crazy, but Christians, after all, claim their god is eternal. Remove the unnecessary hypothesis of an intelligent, all-powerful supernatural entity somehow creating everything out of nothing, and you're left with a much simpler, naturalistic explanation.

Offline skycat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 08, 2011, 04:31:01 AM »

The anthropic principle says that you wouldn't exist to observe the physical constants of the universe unless those constants allowed for your existence. You don't need either a multiverse or a god to explain it. The constants just are. If the constants were different, we couldn't say, "Hey, those constants don't allow for life," because we wouldn't have ever existed in the first place.

Near-death experiences are caused by chemical reactions in the brain. I've had drug experiences where I swore I had entered a totally different reality unconnected to anything on Earth. Yeah, it was the drugs.

Offline skycat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 08, 2011, 04:33:11 AM »

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Offline skycat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 08, 2011, 04:54:28 AM »

I'll grant that we all have a very difficult time, those of us who actually seek truth, no matter what conclusion we get.

No one who knows me would ever dispute that I'm one of the most dedicated truth-seekers they know. Sometimes finding the truth is a struggle. Yet, I don't have a difficult time with my atheism. I've just found all arguments for the existence of God utterly unconvincing, so why would I agonize over it? I did at first (15 years ago) because of residual belief that had been ingrained in me from birth, but as I wrote earlier, that went away. I'm totally content in my non-belief, as are my atheist friends. It seems like it's usually religious people who are struggling with their beliefs.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 08, 2011, 07:33:03 AM »

This is one of the dumbest assertions that theists make. It's just disbelief that anyone could not believe in God. Funny: You believe with all your heart in an all-powerful being of which there is not a shred of evidence, yet you don't believe that people can be atheists even when they tell you, yes, I really am an atheist.

Theism is an impossibility. There, that makes just as much sense as what you said.

I actually agree with PW on this one, at least partially.  Not saying that the belief is impossible, but that it is impossible that there isn't some greater power.  I used to lean toward atheism, as I feel like science explains all but one thing very well.  That one thing is what keeps me from being full on atheist.  That one thing is what got the whole process started. 

Go back to the starting point.  How did it all get kicked off?  Its one of those questions that can be argued more than any other. 

You don't need a "greater power" or a starting point if you posit an oscillatory universe. An oscillatory universe is eternal. Sounds crazy, but Christians, after all, claim their god is eternal. Remove the unnecessary hypothesis of an intelligent, all-powerful supernatural entity somehow creating everything out of nothing, and you're left with a much simpler, naturalistic explanation.

I don't get how you are ok with believing that something is eternal, but not in a higher power.  Kinda the same thing to me.

I don't believe anything is perpetual or eternal.  Everything has a start and an end point.  Everything is started by something. 

For me, feeling that the uni is eternal is pretty equivalent to believing in something starting the process that formed it. 

Offline Goldbrick

• American by birth, Republican by the grace of God
  • Point Plank'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 08, 2011, 07:58:42 AM »

The anthropic principle says that you wouldn't exist to observe the physical constants of the universe unless those constants allowed for your existence. You don't need either a multiverse or a god to explain it. The constants just are. If the constants were different, we couldn't say, "Hey, those constants don't allow for life," because we wouldn't have ever existed in the first place.

Near-death experiences are caused by chemical reactions in the brain. I've had drug experiences where I swore I had entered a totally different reality unconnected to anything on Earth. Yeah, it was the drugs.

Better study up more. Not only is 'the constants just are' a completely unscientific statement but it also doesn't offer an explanation for observable data. Its like saying that when a squad of ten sharp shooters lined up to shoot a man sentenced to death, and they all missed, that they obviously missed because if they hadn't the prisoner wouldn't be around to know. No explanation. And yes, you do need to posit one or the other or something new if you have a bright idea of explaining it.

Also, read up on near death experiences deeper than a google search. If it was caused by chemical reactions in the brain there would have to be a constant environment which brings that about, not to mention we would be capable of inducing it. Not only can we not do that, but it still wouldn't explain the many cases of verifiable information observed by the brain dead individual.

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 08, 2011, 08:48:52 AM »
Well put Goldbrick. The constants are not just constants, just because. Take a look at the gravitational constant, G, that is used in Newton's law of universal gravitation and in Einstein's theory of general relativity. It took a very long time for the constant to be proven and accepted.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #387 on: March 08, 2011, 09:54:38 AM »
 :goodbyecruelworld:

Offline Branson Bound

• Good Christian Fan
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 16, 2011, 10:11:55 PM »
Wow, this is the first time I ever seen this board because I don't like to talk politics. I just vote straight ticket republican. I do like to talk religion, and a lot of you folks need saved. Don't worry, I will read through and address your concerns one by one.
GET WELL SOON RANDY!

Offline Branson Bound

• Good Christian Fan
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 16, 2011, 10:13:12 PM »
Is scientology a religion?

NO. Scientology is a cult for the science folk to try and kill religion. Religion does not make you crazy like Tom Cruise, it makes you frightened into doing what's right.
GET WELL SOON RANDY!

Offline Branson Bound

• Good Christian Fan
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: March 16, 2011, 10:15:07 PM »
Like the idea of religion...don't like that there are too many of them and some of them conflict with others.

Of course they conflict, because only one is right. That's us Christian folk, by the way.
GET WELL SOON RANDY!

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 18, 2011, 08:30:49 PM »
Wow, this is the first time I ever seen this board because I don't like to talk politics. I just vote straight ticket republican. I do like to talk religion, and a lot of you folks need saved. Don't worry, I will read through and address your concerns one by one.

You didn't address mine.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 21, 2011, 01:41:14 PM »
Is scientology a religion?

NO. Scientology is a cult for the science folk to try and kill religion. Religion does not make you crazy like Tom Cruise, it makes you frightened into doing what's right.

Agreed Scientology is cultish. Disagree that is for the science folk.  Level 4 Thetans have no basis is science.

Oh and I'm done  :emawkid: the Texas ownage, although it was incredible, so I'm back.

You didn't address mine.
Mine either
:adios:

Offline KSU187

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 22, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »
I saw the thread hanging around the top of the Birther Pit and I was hoping for 'nouji had posted on this thread, but instead, it was Branson Bound...  :flush:

Oh well, he has a pretty entertaining story of some dude popping a boner on him while he was wrestling in high school or something..  Abomination BB? What say you?

Offline Branson Bound

• Good Christian Fan
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 23, 2011, 08:49:32 AM »
Like the idea of religion...don't like that there are too many of them and some of them conflict with others.

I don't think I could ever choose a religion. There are more than 100 religions. Odds are that only one of them, if any, are right. How on earth could I possibly pick one, knowing full well that geography often dictates what you believe in?

It's like I told the Mormons who visited my house one day: "You are going to feel mighty stupid when you are wrong."

And religions (especially Christianity) always try to dodge the "What happens to non-Christians" question when it's clear that the Bible says they all go to hell. "God would probably save Ghandi since he was a good man" when really he wasn't a Christian and is probably burning in hell right now according to the Holy text. I guess nice guys finish last  :frown:

Ghandi is burning in hell right now. He chose wrong.
GET WELL SOON RANDY!

Offline Branson Bound

• Good Christian Fan
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 23, 2011, 09:04:50 AM »
while we're at it, what about the gays?

there are tons of studies that show that animals in the wild are homosexual.  animals can't choose whether or not to buttfuck their buddy.  does god hate gay animals, too?   :ck:

Animals have no morality. God only hates the humans who act like animals.
GET WELL SOON RANDY!

Offline Branson Bound

• Good Christian Fan
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 23, 2011, 09:08:26 AM »
 If I am wrong, will your god punish me for living a good life minus the belief in eternal damnation?  

Of course he will.
GET WELL SOON RANDY!

Offline Branson Bound

• Good Christian Fan
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 23, 2011, 09:12:31 AM »
Where did the souls of everyone who was born before Jesus died on the cross go?

Nearly everyone was evil before Jesus. Some people made it to heaven, like Moses, Noah, and Abraham. Oh, and Elijah went straight to heaven on a chariot of fire without even dying.
GET WELL SOON RANDY!

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 23, 2011, 09:30:39 AM »

I don't think I could ever choose a religion. There are more than 100 religions. Odds are that only one of them, if any, are right. How on earth could I possibly pick one, knowing full well that geography often dictates what you believe in?

It's like I told the Mormons who visited my house one day: "You are going to feel mighty stupid when you are wrong."

And religions (especially Christianity) always try to dodge the "What happens to non-Christians" question when it's clear that the Bible says they all go to hell. "God would probably save Ghandi since he was a good man" when really he wasn't a Christian and is probably burning in hell right now according to the Holy text. I guess nice guys finish last  :frown:

Ghandi is burning in hell right now. He chose wrong.

Care to comment on Rob Bell's new book "Love Wins?"

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 23, 2011, 10:19:39 AM »
 If I am wrong, will your god punish me for living a good life minus the belief in eternal damnation?  

Of course he will.

Religion is fear and fear is a religion.