Author Topic: Football Recruiting Thread  (Read 5962003 times)

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
Re: Football Recruiting Thread
« Reply #10350 on: July 30, 2013, 12:21:34 PM »
Guys, i think Snyder's 2 star recruits and different than normal 2 star recruits. Do you agree?

Also, do you believe religion has a place in today's society?  I'll listen off air.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #10351 on: July 30, 2013, 12:23:05 PM »
Still don't think "Star Players" make a great team.. I believe the foundation of a team "17-19 role players" are more important.

Offline Jackstack99EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10352 on: July 30, 2013, 12:26:05 PM »
Still don't think "Star Players" make a great team.. I believe the foundation of a team "17-19 role players" are more important.
But if you replace them all with 4 and 5 stars, you get 'Bama.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #10353 on: July 30, 2013, 12:29:04 PM »
or USC... the Lane Kiffin usc or Tennessee or Miami 

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10354 on: July 30, 2013, 12:33:18 PM »
 :flush:

Offline Jackstack99EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10355 on: July 30, 2013, 12:33:26 PM »
or USC... the Lane Kiffin usc or Tennessee or Miami
Difference is that Bama has competent coaching.  Of course coaching probably matters more, and I'm not saying we should be going after 4 and 5 stars, I'm just saying that they do matter.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Football Recruiting Thread
« Reply #10356 on: July 30, 2013, 12:40:33 PM »
I like thinking about guys in terms of how many BCS offers they have.

Sure, some might lie and say that they have some they really don't have, but no one lies and says they don't have the ones they actually have, do they?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10357 on: July 30, 2013, 12:45:32 PM »
In the context of the ratings system it's really not stupid at all to talk about stars because as stated its just a way of measuring.

Since all we have to go by in most cases is the highlight tapes, if you watch enough of those you start to get a feel and you can see why guys are rated they way they are.   That said, I watched Ford's for example and he's probably a bit underrated, I'd be real curious to see if he improves his motor and his elusiveness.  If he can, than yes, a bonafide DITR has been found when you add in his measureables.

When I watched Adams I can see why our staff likes the kid, but he's rated about where he should be for now. 

That said, I'd really love to see K-State get a RB that's just a stud because I feel like our running game schemes, and O-line coaching and recruiting, and emphasis on downfield blocking could put a true speciman stud RB on the podium in NYC in any year, not just a perceived "down year" in Heisman candidates.   I am talking highlight reel, SportsCenter Top 10 with great regularity stuff.   But, we can't ever seem to close that deal.   

Offline Jackstack99EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10358 on: July 30, 2013, 12:47:03 PM »
In the context of the ratings system it's really not stupid at all to talk about stars because as stated its just a way of measuring.

Since all we have to go by in most cases is the highlight tapes, if you watch enough of those you start to get a feel and you can see why guys are rated they way they are.   That said, I watched Ford's for example and he's probably a bit underrated, I'd be real curious to see if he improves his motor and his elusiveness.  If he can, than yes, a bonafide DITR has been found when you add in his measureables.

When I watched Adams I can see why our staff likes the kid, but he's rated about where he should be for now. 

That said, I'd really love to see K-State get a RB that's just a stud because I feel like our running game schemes, and O-line coaching and recruiting, and emphasis on downfield blocking could put a true speciman stud RB on the podium in NYC in any year, not just a perceived "down year" in Heisman candidates.   I am talking highlight reel, SportsCenter Top 10 with great regularity stuff.   But, we can't ever seem to close that deal.
Warmack is a stud, but probably not to that standard.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #10359 on: July 30, 2013, 01:06:27 PM »
247 Has Warmack as our highest rank commit. ESPN has him as our lowest ranked commit. This is why I hate recruiting services. They have no rough ridin' idea after the top 150 recruits.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #10360 on: July 30, 2013, 01:22:18 PM »
What makes the "stars" conversation even more frivolous and infuriating is the fact that 2/3 of the 2* are going to get bumped to a 3*, rendering this entire line of banter moot.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10361 on: July 30, 2013, 01:23:51 PM »
247 Has Warmack as our highest rank commit. ESPN has him as our lowest ranked commit. This is why I hate recruiting services. They have no rough ridin' idea after the top 150 recruits.

You're right.  After the top 150 - 250 players, it's pretty much a crap shoot.  The key is getting a handful of guys from the top 150-250 or a handful of stud JuCo All-Americans to serve as playmakers on either side of the ball. 

We know Snyder is always gonna get his 3* and coach em up.  This is what separates us from schools like Iowa State and KU.  But, if we want to consistently be at the top with teams like OU, UT, and OSU, we need to supplement our 2-3* talent with a handful of Top 250 playmakers.  IMO.   

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10362 on: July 30, 2013, 01:26:04 PM »
I am happy when Bill lands the recruits that he offers first. I will be upset when we getting beat like a drum in spring recruiting and are left to chasing our 3rd and 4th options.

this is a good post and a good way to look at our recruiting.
emaw

Offline Rob_Cassidy

• Fan
  • patchy bearded douchebag in Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #10363 on: July 30, 2013, 01:27:49 PM »
I like thinking about guys in terms of how many BCS offers they have.

Sure, some might lie and say that they have some they really don't have, but no one lies and says they don't have the ones they actually have, do they?

Lying about offers happens, but not as often as people may think. These offers get checked most of the time, especially when they seem questionable. Most coaches don't like it when the public thinks they have an offer out to some bum and it isn't true.

Coaches don't like the perception of losing a recruit they were never after.

The more prevalent problem is when a school offers a kid then pulls off of him down the road. We don't take the offer off the profile when that happens. See  Newell, Peyton.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 01:35:03 PM by Rob_Cassidy »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #10364 on: July 30, 2013, 01:30:30 PM »

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #10365 on: July 30, 2013, 01:31:08 PM »
A brief history of Snyder (part deux)  :star: :star: recruits (according to rivals):

Marcus Kennard - never made it
William Cooper - third stringer
William Lawson - never made it
Cornelius Lucas - starting OL, projected NFL pick
Tomasi Mariner - two-deep OL
Andre McDonald - starting TE, possible NFL pick
Angelo Pease - former two-deep RB
Sheldon Smith - former two-deep WR
Kadero Terrell - former two-deep LB
Courtney Thompson - flamed out
Zach Trujillo - two-deep TE
Meshak Williams - former starting DE
Ty Zimmerman - starting DB, possible NFL pick

Deveon Dinwiddie - never made it
Curry Sexton - two-deep WR
Tate Snyder -  :blank:

Dante Barnett - two-deep DB
Marquel Bryant - two-deep DE
Tyler Davidson - no longer on roster
Glenn Gronkowski - starting H-back
Vai Lutui - former starting DT
Brandon Mickens - never made it
Boston Stiverson - starting/two-deep OL
Dillon Wilson - scout team P, impact TBD
Darryl Blackmon - never made it
Steven West - scout team WR, impact TBD

Hakeem Akinola - never made it
Travis Britz - starting/two-deep DT
Alana Finau - two-deep DE
Charles Jones - scout team RB, impact TBD
Matt Seiwert - possible two-deep DT
Donny Starks - scout team DB, impact TBD

2013 - impact TBD
Ajhane Brager
Chance Allen
Jesse Ertz
Matthew McCrane
Reid Najvar
Sean Newlan
Dayton Valentine

Not too shabby. A pretty significant number of those have been successes. Two stars may not be sexy, but I'll take that kind of production if the old man can keep it up.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
emaw

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile

Offline PIPE

• Katpak'r
  • Always a pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10368 on: July 30, 2013, 01:38:08 PM »
Man, I looked and found like 3 more pages here than a couple of days ago.....and thought," WOW, we must be landing some some cruits and then I read nothing buts stars this, stars that.....blah blah blah.....

People, we have only been recruiting this way for 20 years, right?
Awaiting the inevitable KITN

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10369 on: July 30, 2013, 01:45:52 PM »
Man, I looked and found like 3 more pages here than a couple of days ago.....and thought," WOW, we must be landing some some cruits and then I read nothing buts stars this, stars that.....blah blah blah.....

Yup.  :gocho:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10370 on: July 30, 2013, 02:08:58 PM »

I am still perplexed as to why that line of discussion seems to upset people.  Once again, in the context of stars matter it's a perfectly applicable discussion.

In the last 5 years of Snyder I, we had 2 sub .500 seasons, and a 6-6 season.    Now, I've seen every excuse known to man as to why that happened, everything from guys not making it to campus, to guys being overrated, to not recruiting a QB.   Whatever.

But as of right now, LHC Bill Snyder's track record IS NOT win the conference and then continue to steam roll along, IT IS win the conference and then promptly go 9-13 over the next two seasons and retire.   

Offline Ich.Gewinne

• Combo-Fan
  • Mumble Rap Is Great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10371 on: July 30, 2013, 02:12:06 PM »
A brief history of Snyder (part deux)  :star: :star: recruits (according to rivals):
(fast foward)
2013 - impact TBD
Ajhane Brager - depth
Chance Allen - depth
Jesse Ertz - Iowa Gatorade POY
Matthew McCrane - Bamf kicker right?
Reid Najvar - depth
Sean Newlan - supposed to be a mega DITR, we'll see
Dayton Valentine - TBD
\

Excited to see what happens
Back for more bad takes.

Offline Ich.Gewinne

• Combo-Fan
  • Mumble Rap Is Great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10372 on: July 30, 2013, 02:13:22 PM »

I am still perplexed as to why that line of discussion seems to upset people.  Once again, in the context of stars matter it's a perfectly applicable discussion.

In the last 5 years of Snyder I, we had 2 sub .500 seasons, and a 6-6 season.    Now, I've seen every excuse known to man as to why that happened, everything from guys not making it to campus, to guys being overrated, to not recruiting a QB.   Whatever.

But as of right now, LHC LHC Bill Snyder's track record IS NOT win the conference and then continue to steam roll along, IT IS win the conference and then promptly go 9-13 over the next two seasons and retire.

woof, if only they had won the 1998 championship. would've added more to his track record.
Back for more bad takes.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10373 on: July 30, 2013, 02:47:44 PM »

Well, no, this isn't what Snyder has done for 20 years.  In the DOD, Snyder had the market cornered on JuCo All-Americans back when "juco" was a dirty word.  Times have changed. 

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10374 on: July 30, 2013, 03:01:20 PM »

Well, no, this isn't what Snyder has done for 20 years.  In the DOD, Snyder had the market cornered on JuCo All-Americans back when "juco" was a dirty word.  Times have changed.
and MU had a much more limited presence in KC, KU was probably in better shape in the early 90s than they are now and NU was elite.