Author Topic: Football Recruiting Thread  (Read 5623323 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Football Recruiting Thread
« Reply #9075 on: April 17, 2013, 01:10:30 PM »
I've never really understood why we grey shirt. To me it's like if they aren't good enough for a scholly this year, why waste one on them for next?  It's not like we're chock full of four and five stars and a really good three star wants to commit but we're all full.

Snyder addressed that this year:

On K-State’s philosophy on deferring enrollment…
“I think the main thing behind it is if you have a youngster that you would really like to have in your program and you have either you have not designated a scholarship or if you have commitments that fill that particular position. In other words, we have an allotment of scholarship for each position. So if somebody is out there that you really like that either the pot is full or you are not really taking anybody at that position but we would really like to have him, you think in terms of redshirting him because you can count that as a part of next year’s class. I think it benefits a young person. If it benefits us, that is how. I think we were the first program in the country to do that with Brian Cavanaugh. When you go back to that situation, Brian was here for 5 and a half years and he was the starter for us his last year here. Had he come at a regular time, he never would have been a starter at Kansas State, so it was a great value to him. You also look at the opportunity to get in a full semester, spring practice and then your five-year window starts after that. Then you have five years to play four. If you were a greyshirt who redshirted, you have a year and a half of actual football activity as well as acclamation to the university, before you even start you eligibility. So that is a great asset. I always ask the question ‘Would you be better your first year of college or you fifth year of college?’ and the answer would probably be the latter. So that just gives them that opportunity to get themselves well prepared to get on the field at a young period of time during their eligibility.”

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9076 on: April 17, 2013, 01:11:44 PM »
I've never really understood why we grey shirt. To me it's like if they aren't good enough for a scholly this year, why waste one on them for next?  It's not like we're chock full of four and five stars and a really good three star wants to commit but we're all full.

Greyshirt system seems to have worked out pretty well lately. Guess it gives the kids extra time to put on size or something. For whatever reason, the coaches feel the player is worth a scholarship otherwise we would just ask them to walk on.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9077 on: April 17, 2013, 01:16:45 PM »
Jimmie Swain IV:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1332538/highlights/25488376

I haven't seen this kid mentioned in here.

He has a great offer list and there's a good chance we can land this kid.

Landing him keeps that KC momentum going.

I really really want that kid. And I really hope we put "Swain IV" on his jersey.

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #9078 on: April 17, 2013, 02:09:34 PM »
Jimmie Swain IV:

I really really want that kid. And I really hope we put "Swain IV" on his jersey.

He has a very impressive offer list. Will def take.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #9079 on: April 17, 2013, 02:13:34 PM »
Jimmie Swain IV:

He has a very impressive offer list. Will def take.

he looks great. the wr screen on the goal line made me laugh.

Offline troubledscribe

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9080 on: April 17, 2013, 02:17:23 PM »
Is it just me, or are we targeting a lot less juco guys right now? Looking at our offer list and I'm curious, especially with the surprising success of all the HS kids we have been grabbing.

Online 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9081 on: April 17, 2013, 02:20:39 PM »
Is it just me, or are we targeting a lot less juco guys right now? Looking at our offer list and I'm curious, especially with the surprising success of all the HS kids we have been grabbing.

i agree, but they will address juco needs more aggressively once spring is over, and then through fall camp/season once they realize which positions are garbage.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #9082 on: April 17, 2013, 02:22:03 PM »

i think juco recruiting comes later and we just aren't used to having success with hs guys at this time of the year.

last year we targeted our 6 juco signees plus spaight, campbell, hardison, jones, combs, delva. that is a lot of juco targets.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #9083 on: April 17, 2013, 02:26:06 PM »

“I think the main thing behind it is if you have a youngster that you would really like to have in your program and you have either you have not designated a scholarship or if you have commitments that fill that particular position. In other words, we have an allotment of scholarship for each position. So if somebody is out there that you really like that either the pot is full or you are not really taking anybody at that position but we would really like to have him, you think in terms of redshirting him because you can count that as a part of next year’s class. I think it benefits a young person. If it benefits us, that is how. I think we were the first program in the country to do that with Brian Cavanaugh. When you go back to that situation, Brian was here for 5 and a half years and he was the starter for us his last year here. Had he come at a regular time, he never would have been a starter at Kansas State, so it was a great value to him. You also look at the opportunity to get in a full semester, spring practice and then your five-year window starts after that. Then you have five years to play four. If you were a greyshirt who redshirted, you have a year and a half of actual football activity as well as acclamation to the university, before you even start you eligibility. So that is a great asset. I always ask the question ‘Would you be better your first year of college or you fifth year of college?’ and the answer would probably be the latter. So that just gives them that opportunity to get themselves well prepared to get on the field at a young period of time during their eligibility.”
Yeah, I guess. But they are almost always some recruit with hardly any other offers, if any at all, so why not just say "hey, we really like, why don't you walk on?" and then give them a scholly if they make the 2 deep?

Most of them don't really have a whole lot of other options...at least from what I can remember.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9084 on: April 17, 2013, 06:00:15 PM »

Yeah, I guess. But they are almost always some recruit with hardly any other offers, if any at all, so why not just say "hey, we really like, why don't you walk on?" and then give them a scholly if they make the 2 deep?

Most of them don't really have a whole lot of other options...at least from what I can remember.

I guess it's kinda between a walk on and a regular ship. The dudes gonna get a scholly but he's gonna have to wait a bit. And we're had several dudes that had other offers that I was surprised took the grey shirt offer. Regardless, Snyder likes is so may as well just deal with it cause it's gonna keep happening and his system set to work pretty damn well for us.

Offline kostakio

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9085 on: April 17, 2013, 09:31:39 PM »
A lot of our recruits in general don't have many offers sometimes the greyshrts are among the most impressive.  The program seems to work well for us and fit what we do.  If you're going to try to win by coaching kids up then it's best to have extra time to do the coaching.

Offline ManBearPig

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9086 on: April 17, 2013, 10:59:56 PM »
Jimmie Swain, Elijah Lee, and Nick Ramirez would make for quite a trio at the linebacker position. I'm pretty happy that we're putting more effort into recruiting the greater KC area....and mushing Pinkel and Andy Hill along the way.
THE_ED'S STAYING ALIVE GAME CHAMPION

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #9087 on: April 17, 2013, 11:26:19 PM »
Jimmie Swain, Elijah Lee, and Nick Ramirez would make for quite a trio at the linebacker position. I'm pretty happy that we're putting more effort into recruiting the greater KC area....and mushing Pinkel and Andy Hill along the way.

it's like bill wasn't even trying last year, right? why is hs recruiting this much better, especially considering he's another year older and probably won't coach for another 5 years.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #9088 on: April 17, 2013, 11:32:41 PM »
I guess I understand the general discontent re: the "stars" Bill recruits, but complaining about grey shirts is just Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9089 on: April 17, 2013, 11:34:39 PM »

it's like bill wasn't even trying last year, right? why is hs recruiting this much better, especially considering he's another year older and probably won't coach for another 5 years.

Mizzou sucking balls helps, and the Dr P probably doesn't hurt.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9090 on: April 17, 2013, 11:53:00 PM »
I had heard that most of the greyshirts have spring birthdays and are young for their class, so they are 6-12 months behind developing. The birthdates aren't up for the ones that just came in, but a quick look at 4 from the year before show birthdays in January, March, May, and June (turned 18 the summer after HS).  Not saying its planned, but it's probably a consideration that there's a chance they may have more growing to do.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #9091 on: April 17, 2013, 11:57:44 PM »
I had heard that most of the greyshirts have spring birthdays and are young for their class, so they are 6-12 months behind developing. The birthdates aren't up for the ones that just came in, but a quick look at 4 from the year before show birthdays in January, March, May, and June (turned 18 the summer after HS).  Not saying its planned, but it's probably a consideration that there's a chance they may have more growing to do.

I wonder if Bill reads Malcom Gladwell.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #9092 on: April 18, 2013, 12:19:40 AM »

I had a similar thought, but in all fairness Bill put in his 10,000 hours a long time ago and probably came to this conclusion independently.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9093 on: April 18, 2013, 07:19:53 AM »
I guess I understand the general discontent re: the "stars" Bill recruits, but complaining about grey shirts is just Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

my only complaint about grey shirting is not offering studs full rides but instead a grey shirt offer, we have lost a few awesome recruits recently to this. grey shirt the mediocre guys and full ride the studs

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #9094 on: April 18, 2013, 09:28:44 AM »

I had a similar thought, but in all fairness Bill put in his 10,000 hours a long time ago and probably came to this conclusion independently.

:thumbs:

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9095 on: April 18, 2013, 10:15:33 AM »
malcolm gladwell reads bill.
emaw

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9096 on: April 18, 2013, 11:04:36 AM »

my only complaint about grey shirting is not offering studs full rides but instead a grey shirt offer, we have lost a few awesome recruits recently to this. grey shirt the mediocre guys and full ride the studs

You just completely reinvented recruiting! Offer the studs and greyshirt the puds! Holy crap, someone call the coaches and fill them in!

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9097 on: April 18, 2013, 11:21:35 AM »

You just completely reinvented recruiting! Offer the studs and greyshirt the puds! Holy crap, someone call the coaches and fill them in!

you are missing my point dipshit, how many recruits (hint it was several 4 stars) verbally stated that they were only offered grey shirts?

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9098 on: April 18, 2013, 11:25:06 AM »

you are missing my point dipshit, how many recruits (hint it was several 4 stars) verbally stated that they were only offered grey shirts?

We should have offered those studs.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9099 on: April 18, 2013, 11:32:34 AM »

:thumbs:

i'm not going to go try and find it but we've absolutely already discussed this. i can't remember who brought it up and when but we talked about it even down to the gladwell mention.