Author Topic: Football Recruiting Thread  (Read 5520409 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Football Recruiting Thread
« Reply #25675 on: December 15, 2020, 10:48:19 AM »
I like the analysis that says that one of our RB's was #2 in the country in yards from scrimmage and two sentences later says it is very difficult to attract top RB's to Manhattan

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25676 on: December 15, 2020, 11:04:25 AM »
can you dickheads please use the term "stable" when referring to our group of running backs

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25677 on: December 15, 2020, 11:05:00 AM »
it's like you're all intentionally not using the damn word

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25678 on: December 15, 2020, 11:09:06 AM »
fine, our rb room is stable.

happy clams?

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25679 on: December 15, 2020, 12:43:08 PM »
I like the analysis that says that one of our RB's was #2 in the country in yards from scrimmage and two sentences later says it is very difficult to attract top RB's to Manhattan
deuce was not a top recruit.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25680 on: December 15, 2020, 12:49:28 PM »

Kashi, with all due respect, your lack of perspective, on anything really, is amazing. I love not only the fact that you've already determined that the staff can't attract anything at this point, but you're willing to completely eliminate evaluation from the equation to drive your point home. Well done kash, well done.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25681 on: December 15, 2020, 12:54:38 PM »
Rubley article from The Athletic, you're welcome

The genesis of the most important recruitment of Kansas State coach Chris Klieman’s career occurred in 1987.

At the time, Klieman was a defensive back at Northern Iowa and was asked to entertain a high school prospect in town for an official visit. Klieman hosted a hot-shot quarterback out of Davenport, Iowa, named T.J. Rubley. They did what all college kids do. They went to bars and restaurants and to a football team party to offer a glimpse of what the nightlife in Cedar Falls was all about.

“When they put Coach Klieman with me on our recruiting trip, they felt he was the best player on campus at the time, and Kurt Warner was on that team,” Rubley recalled. “So that’ll give you an idea of what they felt about him.”

But Klieman, as it turns out, was a better football player than a recruiter at the time. Rubley wound up picking Tulsa, where he enjoyed a productive college career before playing five years in the NFL.

Take this as an important lesson about how profoundly small this world can be. A recruiting weekend that occurred almost 35 years ago cracked the door open just enough for Klieman to land one of the most influential commitments in Kansas State football history, rivaling the signing of Josh Freeman in 2006.

As it played out, Klieman landed a commitment from the right Rubley.

T.J.’s son is four-star prospect Jake Rubley of Littleton (Colo.) Valley, the No. 195 overall player and the No. 14 pro-style quarterback in the 2021 recruiting class in the 247Sports Composite. When Rubley makes it official Wednesday, he’ll be the Wildcats’ highest-rated signee since 2007 and the program’s second-highest-rated quarterback of the modern recruiting era, behind only Freeman.

“It all worked out for my dad, and it’s going to work out for me, too,” Rubley said. “It was definitely a funny coincidence. I like Coach Klieman because he is a winner and I know he’s going to be at K-State for a long time. Nobody has ever said a bad word about him, and even dating back all of those years, my dad had a good experience with him. That’s not the reason I’m going to K-State, but it’s kind of funny how things work out sometimes.”

Rubley speaks like a quarterback who is going to change things. Yes, every prospect who commits to a program believes he will win a conference championship, but Rubley is different. He speaks with conviction — “We’re going to keep beating Oklahoma,” for example — and truly believes he and the program are destined for greatness.

Middle-tier programs sign quality prospects all the time, but landing the right quarterback with the right mentality? That’s a catalyst for real growth.

Everything Rubley does, intentional or not, carries weight. Even when he announced his commitment on New Year’s Day — the day after Kansas State lost 20-17 to Navy in the 2019 Liberty Bowl — it served as a message to the fan base: “Don’t worry Wildcat Nation, we got this.” He was sitting at a New Year’s party with his family and made his decision three hours after the Liberty Bowl, a time during which other recruits might have had questions.

“Coach Klieman called and told me it made the loss feel much better,” Rubley said.

Of course, it did. The hope of the future is always what makes difficult times more tolerable. And Rubley offers that hope.

Rubley could have signed with LSU, the program that helped Joe Burrow blossom into a Heisman Trophy winner, a national champion and ultimately the first pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. Some may view Rubley’s decision to go to Kansas State as the quicker path to the field, but in other ways, it’s the more difficult path.

Why not LSU?

Why not jump on offers from Michigan? Penn State? Texas A&M?

“I get that question all the time, about LSU,” Rubley said, “When I took a visit — LSU is one of the most beautiful campuses and that game atmosphere was unbelievable. Just watching Joe Burrow go on to break every record ever and win a Heisman Trophy and national championship, it’s like a dream every quarterback dreams of. It was very tempting. It was definitely something I was considering. The amount of athletes they have there and their offense, it was all there.

“But in my family, we never really have wanted to do that, so I guess we’re underdogs in that way. I could have gone to Valor Christian — a good high school program here that’s less than a mile from my high school where all the McCaffreys went — but I wanted to beat them. I want to be the underdog and fight uphill and build something. That’s no different in college.”

Rubley comes from a family of quarterbacks. His father played in the NFL, and he has two uncles who played at Iowa State and another who went to Auburn. His older brother, Ryan, played at Tulsa. He has a younger brother, Luke, who will probably turn out to be a recruitable quarterback, too.

Rubley played for his father at Littleton (Colo.) Highlands Ranch before attempting to transfer to a school in Iowa for his senior season as a result of COVID-19 putting a stop to football in Colorado. He was eventually ruled ineligible in Iowa and returned home.

T.J. played quarterback at the highest level, and outside of coaching his son, he also served as a consultant in the movie “The Replacements,” coaching Keanu Reeves to look like a football player as he played the role of Shane Falco.

Mastering the craft to actually be good at the game — not just to look good on a movie screen — is obviously the goal here. Rubley was attracted to Klieman because of his track record in developing stud quarterbacks at North Dakota State. Names such as Carson Wentz, Easton Stick and even Trey Lance, a projected first-round pick in the upcoming draft, all played a factor. Rubley is well aware of what Klieman and his coaching tree have done at the position.

“There aren’t as many guys who have developed my game as much as my dad did,” Rubley said, “but I know Kansas State is the right fit from every aspect.”

Rubley will soon be the face of the Kansas State program. He could have been one of many four-star prospects in a loaded class at an established power but instead picked a program he could put on his back. There’s a great responsibility that comes with that.

“Day 1, we are going to be winning,” Rubley said. “I expect the world from us.”

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25682 on: December 15, 2020, 12:57:30 PM »
our fans are gonna love the crap out of this kid if he's mediocre or better

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25683 on: December 15, 2020, 12:58:03 PM »
Sexy old school photo of Jake's daddy from the article

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25684 on: December 15, 2020, 01:13:20 PM »
Rubley served as a consultant for the film The Replacements, specifically coaching Keanu Reeves in his role as the starting quarterback for the fictional Washington Sentinels. Reeves' character, Shane Falco, is loosely based on Rubley.

:D

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #25685 on: December 15, 2020, 01:34:06 PM »
:bang: me attempting to run through a brick wall after reading that article  :Woot:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25686 on: December 15, 2020, 01:55:10 PM »
:bang: me attempting to run through a brick wall after reading that article  :Woot:

I mean come on he's perfect

“But in my family, we never really have wanted to do that, so I guess we’re underdogs in that way. I could have gone to Valor Christian — a good high school program here that’s less than a mile from my high school where all the McCaffreys went — but I wanted to beat them. I want to be the underdog and fight uphill and build something. That’s no different in college.”
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 02:15:28 PM by michigancat »

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #25687 on: December 15, 2020, 02:13:57 PM »
thanks MIR! :cheers:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25688 on: December 15, 2020, 03:49:42 PM »

No #myguy allowed with Rubes, everyone gets to claim him on this journey.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #25689 on: December 15, 2020, 04:27:11 PM »

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25690 on: December 15, 2020, 04:30:43 PM »
This will solve everything.  K-state groups on FB diagnosed the problems with all of our sports teams as not having enough Kansans.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25691 on: December 15, 2020, 05:15:57 PM »
Nobody has ever said a bad word about him

Where have I seen a quote like that before @Trim?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #25692 on: December 15, 2020, 05:21:21 PM »
Has anyone asked ru what he thinks about the fullness of our stable?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25693 on: December 15, 2020, 05:24:28 PM »
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #25694 on: December 15, 2020, 05:35:47 PM »
Jake Rubley is going to wash away all of my tears.

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25695 on: December 15, 2020, 07:40:04 PM »

Kashi, with all due respect, your lack of perspective, on anything really, is amazing. I love not only the fact that you've already determined that the staff can't attract anything at this point, but you're willing to completely eliminate evaluation from the equation to drive your point home. Well done kash, well done.
really? if you think KSU is going to win championships because they evaluate better than others than you are going to be disappointed for a long time. Every program has a player like deuce that far outperforms their rating. Thats not how championships are won. Bama isnt in the playoff because they evaluated better than everyone else. Deuce is really good. So are all the 4 and 5 star RBs going to the Top 10 schools. Klieman is doing OK. Its early to draw conclusions but pretty obvious he is not going to blow people away in recruiting. Looks like if its successful it will be a longer slower climb. Even our coaches call their program "a developmental program" because they concede they will not attract recruits who are ready to play before years in the strength and conditioning program. Out evaluating other schools for one player is great. But its not really a strategy to win big. Maybe if your goal is the middle of the B12. at some point you just have to attract great players that everyone wants.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #25696 on: December 15, 2020, 07:49:27 PM »
Nobody has ever said a bad word about him

Where have I seen a quote like that before @Trim?

I'm somehow not remembering which specific dumbfuck said that about which one of our disasters.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25697 on: December 15, 2020, 09:35:50 PM »

really? if you think KSU is going to win championships because they evaluate better than others than you are going to be disappointed for a long time. Every program has a player like deuce that far outperforms their rating. Thats not how championships are won. Bama isnt in the playoff because they evaluated better than everyone else. Deuce is really good. So are all the 4 and 5 star RBs going to the Top 10 schools. Klieman is doing OK. Its early to draw conclusions but pretty obvious he is not going to blow people away in recruiting. Looks like if its successful it will be a longer slower climb. Even our coaches call their program "a developmental program" because they concede they will not attract recruits who are ready to play before years in the strength and conditioning program. Out evaluating other schools for one player is great. But its not really a strategy to win big. Maybe if your goal is the middle of the B12. at some point you just have to attract great players that everyone wants.

I don't think it's realistic for a coach at KSU to compete for national titles or win recruiting battles against Bama with any sort of regularity in the next few years. We should all be OK with that. If we compete for a Dr. Pepper in the next 4-5 years we should be happy, and you can compete for Dr. Peppers every 4-5 years with middle of the pack recruiting (in Rivals rankings) if you also have solid evaluation, roster building, and development systems.

Offline brandochav

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25698 on: December 15, 2020, 09:53:50 PM »
Program-wise we're trending down, and I'm not sure you can toss Deuce up to program development. I'm just saying that matters in recruiting additional talent.
deuce should be good for recruiting. No program uses a single RB any more so recruits are used to a little competition. Deuce's yards from scrimmage were #2 in america, i believe. and thats behind 5 new starters on the OL
that SHOULD BE a really good selling tool for RB recruiting. But as we know it is for some reason very difficult to attract top RBs to manhattan even for offenses that feature RBs.
This is a very good point. Amid all the passion filled replies, I appreciate this logical take. No doubt the coaches can make a pitch which may resonate...they'll have to. K-State is in a tough recruiting position. More than ever, we have to be really good moving forward and make high impact pitches to recruits and their families.

For everyone else, I said program-wise we're trending down. Yeah, it was "2020" and no off-season...same was true for every other program, it's a moot point. Everyone should know by now that the state of the program matters in attracting talented recruits. Most want to win while being a factor in that success. If they doubt the team can win, for many it won't matter if they get PT immediately. Even then, Deuce being a surprise stud doesnt necessarily help the PT argument for all recruits. After all, there are 4 programs that have 2 or more top-50 RBs based on yardage: Duke, North Carolina, Louisiana (3), and Liberty. I'm not sold we embody the rushing philosophies of those programs, and who is #50? Deuce. Enough room for a committee to eat and get full on? Possible, but not nearly as confident as others. Im mot saying we can't get a decent RB, just saying to temper expectations.  Deuce chose us over Arky and Mizzou. A good program win, no doubt, but not ground-breaking and he was highly under-recruited for his skill set to begin with (I imagine due to his size).

Btw, here's some program stats over the last 5 years...trending up?

Team Rushing Ranking
2020: 78th
2019: 56th
2018: 50th
2017: 32nd
2016: 17th

Record
2020: 4-6
2019: 8-5
2018: 5-7
2017: 8-5
2016: 9-4

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25699 on: December 15, 2020, 09:58:48 PM »
kinda crazy how good rushing was last year given how unstable our RB room was coming into it

Who said that? Deuce is #50

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

you quoted him!