Author Topic: Football Recruiting Thread  (Read 5629577 times)

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Football Recruiting Thread
« Reply #13850 on: January 12, 2014, 11:47:51 PM »
Which is the better strategy?:

a) Recruit multiple quarterbacks, make no promises
or...
b) Recruit one quarterback, let him know he is the one and only QB for this class?

Both, you rough ridin' idiot

Offline Berries and Cream

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13851 on: January 13, 2014, 12:11:54 AM »
To be honest, this is a crap move on Sharp's part.  Late January flips for kids committed this long speak poorly about a kid.

Man please stop being such a tuck, this kid doesn't owe any school anything. He is making a decision that could at best impact his life for the next three years, to us he's just another recruit. He or anyone else flipling doesn't mean crap other than he and whomever is helping him with his decision are doing what they feel is best for him. He's a senior in high school he should feel no burden to do a septuagenarian any favors with his biggest life decision to date.

Doing what's best for you and doing something that's shitty to another person (or in this case football program) aren't mutually exclusive.

Don't blame the kid if he thinks going somewhere other than K-State is best for his future. As a K-State fan, it's still reasonable to think he's an bad person for doing it.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13852 on: January 13, 2014, 12:55:39 AM »
Which is the better strategy?:

a) Recruit multiple quarterbacks, make no promises
or...
b) Recruit one quarterback, let him know he is the one and only QB for this class?

Both, you rough ridin' idiot

:Yoda:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13853 on: January 13, 2014, 01:50:49 AM »
To be honest, this is a crap move on Sharp's part.  Late January flips for kids committed this long speak poorly about a kid.

Man please stop being such a tuck, this kid doesn't owe any school anything. He is making a decision that could at best impact his life for the next three years, to us he's just another recruit. He or anyone else flipling doesn't mean crap other than he and whomever is helping him with his decision are doing what they feel is best for him. He's a senior in high school he should feel no burden to do a septuagenarian any favors with his biggest life decision to date.

Doing what's best for you and doing something that's shitty to another person (or in this case football program) aren't mutually exclusive.

In recruiting they often times are though. Plans change and they do for everyone in all walks of life. If these kids coaches left after they signed the letter of intent the kids are stuck. Losing kids at any point in the process is part of the game and Iddon't feel any animus to the kid or pitty for K-State. If you don't want to lose kids you can either get better or just get out of the recruiting game. We've benefited from late switches, plenty, all schools have. Its a part of the game, its like having kids and then complaining because you think its unfair that you have to change diapers. crap happens

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #13854 on: January 13, 2014, 02:13:58 AM »
Yeah.  If the 18 year old kid thinks UCLA will be a better fit for him football wise, then he should do it.  If he prefers LA to MHK, then by God, go to school in LA.  If he prefers the quality education he'll get at UCLA compared to K-State, then go spread your wings kiddo.  He didn't sign his life away to us.  Like MIR said, he doesn't owe us anything.

Is decommitting this late in the game a shitty thing for an 18 year old to do?  Nah.  It sort of sucks for K-State, but K-State will be fine.  If this kid prefers to go to school at UCLA today or 10 months from now or 2 years from now, he should definitely go to UCLA. Sacrificing his happiness for the sake of some pledge he made to LHC Bill Snyder to play football at Kansas State is worse than the alternative. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13855 on: January 13, 2014, 05:00:30 AM »
Maybe we should have recruited him better

The only blame here is on WRSOAT for putting all their eggs in one basket, and being horrible in general at recruiting.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13856 on: January 13, 2014, 05:32:25 AM »
You know what is a shitty thing to do? Recruit this awful. The coaches owe us more. The kid doesn't owe us anything.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13857 on: January 13, 2014, 06:59:46 AM »
It's just outright laziness for WRSOAT to have had a commitment for seven months and to then fail to close the deal three weeks before signing day.  Oh, and to not have any real contingency, that's really lazy also.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Jackstack99EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13858 on: January 13, 2014, 07:23:33 AM »
Imo, it is kinda shitty to be committed and tell people something for this long then flip.  But he's also 18 and making a gigantic decision in his life, so he should keep his options open.  It's also pretty shitty of the staff to not close the deal and tell this kid he isnt allowed to look at other schools because of said shittiness.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13859 on: January 13, 2014, 08:05:59 AM »
Yeah, really shitty for everyone.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13860 on: January 13, 2014, 08:32:28 AM »
i have a friend who teaches at UCLA, he told me that they don't even have their own football stadium

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13861 on: January 13, 2014, 08:35:02 AM »
i have a friend who teaches at UCLA, he told me that they don't even have their own football stadium

Imagine the outrage when we lose this kid to that kind of school.  It's like they care even less about football than KU.  T's & P's to all involved.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #13862 on: January 13, 2014, 08:39:59 AM »
Good grief. The melting down in here, woof! He's decommitted before, what made you think he wouldn't do it again?

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13863 on: January 13, 2014, 08:40:18 AM »

Hmmm...interesting if true.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #13864 on: January 13, 2014, 08:43:54 AM »
This board is really judgy.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #13865 on: January 13, 2014, 08:54:01 AM »
Imo, it is kinda shitty to be committed and tell people something for this long then flip.  But he's also 18 and making a gigantic decision in his life, so he should keep his options open.  It's also pretty shitty of the staff to not close the deal and tell this kid he isnt allowed to look at other schools because of said shittiness.

That's bullshit. To my knowledge, we've never yanked an offer because the recruit visited another school. Sharp would have to pull a Jamone Boyd for us to pull his offer.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13866 on: January 13, 2014, 09:06:21 AM »

I reserve my right to Judge anyone

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #13867 on: January 13, 2014, 09:18:55 AM »

I reserve my right to Judge anyone
Free country, mostly.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13868 on: January 13, 2014, 09:32:26 AM »
KJ Carta Samuels also being recruited by UCLA apparently
emaw

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #13869 on: January 13, 2014, 09:51:59 AM »
I bet this wishy washy kid has a terrible handshake and makes irregular eye contact during conversations and sometimes doesn't finish what he started, especially fights which he probably always starts but never finishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13870 on: January 13, 2014, 10:12:55 AM »
He probably just saw our best QB barely get any playing time all year and decided that he didn't want to have to put up with that crap.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #13871 on: January 13, 2014, 10:15:15 AM »

In recruiting they often times are though. Plans change and they do for everyone in all walks of life. If these kids coaches left after they signed the letter of intent the kids are stuck. Losing kids at any point in the process is part of the game and Iddon't feel any animus to the kid or pitty for K-State. If you don't want to lose kids you can either get better or just get out of the recruiting game. We've benefited from late switches, plenty, all schools have. Its a part of the game, its like having kids and then complaining because you think its unfair that you have to change diapers. crap happens

I was pretty pissed last night, and I said some things I probably shouldn't have said.

I agree with the folks that say we should have recruited other quarterbacks.

I personally hope we work hard to sign Delton and Willis in 2015.

Offline Berries and Cream

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13872 on: January 13, 2014, 10:28:37 AM »

I was pretty pissed last night, and I said some things I probably shouldn't have said.

I agree with the folks that say we should have recruited other quarterbacks.

I personally hope we work hard to sign Delton and Willis in 2015.

In his defense as well is the fact he just got the UCLA offer. It's not like he's been sitting on this temptation for awhile and just acted on it. Still sucks for us, though I don't blame the coaches that much. KSU and UCLA are pretty different. Plus the future prospects with Mora as your coach vs Snyder seem more concrete.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13873 on: January 13, 2014, 10:38:11 AM »
All you "Seal the deal" folks, just how do you propose to do that.  Whips and chains?  :dunno:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13874 on: January 13, 2014, 10:38:18 AM »

If we stopped recruiting QBs because of one player, I thinks it's reasonable to expect that player to stop taking visits.