Author Topic: Official NASCAR 2023 thread(people are still watching)  (Read 109991 times)

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Official NASCAR 2021 thread(people are still watching)
« Reply #675 on: February 22, 2021, 01:29:27 PM »
Have some friends that have known Bell and his family for about 15 years, not the typical rich/pay-to-play story you see these days. Not even a racing family as his dad was a basketball coach, but almost everyone speak highly of them.

It was a big win with the dirt track community.... as well as some of my family in OKC that have been huge fans for a long long time, ha.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: February 22, 2021, 01:30:28 PM »
Pretty wild how legit TRD was with their development program not too long ago, now it's a joke.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: February 22, 2021, 02:43:15 PM »
Seeing Kyle B get punted into the wall was my favorite part. His paint scheme was badass though. Lotta Bobby Labonte vibes from it.

Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: February 22, 2021, 02:50:37 PM »
Seeing Kyle B get punted into the wall was my favorite part.

He's kind of been a crap show the last year. Was really good after signing that huge contract in 2019, but the whole feel has been weird for a little while now.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: February 23, 2021, 12:45:00 AM »

He's kind of been a crap show the last year. Was really good after signing that huge contract in 2019, but the whole feel has been weird for a little while now.

I can't stand him but I'd say he's been a lot more unlucky than a crap show.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: February 23, 2021, 08:33:24 AM »

I can't stand him but I'd say he's been a lot more unlucky than a crap show.

I'm more so pointing out the toxic nature, which results have helped that. Think getting told each week last year that he's not good without practice got under his skin as well.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 29, 2021, 09:44:43 PM »
Bristol Dirt was pretty fun. One time a year is fine by me.
Annoyed that logano ended up winning. Boring
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 30, 2021, 01:37:14 AM »
Monday was not great for me, I was way too busy to watch. Sad.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 30, 2021, 08:24:47 AM »
Daycare was closed so I had a lot of TV watching to do with little ww.
there wasn't alot of passing up front so that was kind of disappointing to me. But it was different. Kyle B had to pit within the first 5 laps of the race after taking the lead due to mud on his grill. Audibly cackled. Larson was in like 4 wrecks.
- chunkles

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 30, 2021, 03:01:04 PM »
Big mistake having it during the day. Dirt tracks simply can't keep the needed moisture for racing multiple grooves during the day (for that long of a race).. Even just hours after historic rainfall/flooding in the area.

Track got nasty dry and the best racing was the first 10 laps of the last stage, when they watered the hell out of it (still wasn't enough to hold for long).

Sounds like everyone involved learned a ton, though.. and this might become a yearly event now.

The car setups and tires were way better than I was expecting. Next year will be interesting with the Next Gen.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: June 05, 2021, 08:04:07 PM »
Kyle Larson is an absolutely insane talent.

Honestly don’t think there’s ever been another driver do what he’s doing.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: June 05, 2021, 09:06:52 PM »
@MakeItRain did you move on to a new driver? I couldn't remember
- chunkles

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: June 06, 2021, 10:26:43 AM »
Yeah, Denny and Bubba. Happy for Kyle though, spent a decade wanting him at Hendrick, wish they signed him when I was team Hendrick.

Also Jimmy and young Jeff also did what he is doing now. I think there is very little variance in the skills of these drivers, sometimes you get a driver who is slightly better than most of the other field and match him with the best engineers, equipment, and crew and this is the result, this happens at Hendrick a lot.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: June 06, 2021, 11:06:05 AM »
Jeff never ran a full bodied dirt car. A discipline entirely different than what anyone else runs. Also never ran heavy dirt schedule when in full time nascar.

Yes, Jeff was good in open wheel dirt midgets, but Kyle has won multiple nascar races, the biggest dirt midget race in the world, multiple 410 sprint car races against the best in the world, stepped in and immediately won multiple dirt late model races against the best in the world, all in the last few months.

He’s won 50-something races in the last 56 weeks, in a crazy amount of different disciplines. And those are never against weak fields, usually big money events. It’s been an absurd run.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: June 06, 2021, 12:06:55 PM »
Ah, you're speaking of cross discipline racing, that's very true. Don't you think a lot of the younger guys could do something similar if they tried?

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: June 06, 2021, 02:27:18 PM »
Ah, you're speaking of cross discipline racing, that's very true. Don't you think a lot of the younger guys could do something similar if they tried?

I do not, but really it’s hard to say if they don’t/can’t make a go at it, ya know. I think Christopher Bell is really damn good and competitive every time he steps in anything, but rarely wins compared to the level Larson does. Elliott did a lot of racing over the winter and it was awesome, but he struggled pretty much each time.

I think a young Jeff Gordon, a younger Bowyer, and even a young Kyle Busch could’ve done some similar things.. but simply because I don’t think anyone else has ever done what he’s doing, it’s hard to say anyone in the past or present could do it as well.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: June 06, 2021, 08:19:59 PM »
Interesting how cyclical this stuff is. Appears Hendrick has some sort of advantage or figured something out lately? Just dominating this year. I suppose to helps to have Larson now and the others are more established.
- chunkles

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: June 07, 2021, 01:32:59 PM »
Was talking to a buddy at a dirt track last night, and he had a pretty interesting comparison.

He said he almost compares Larson in the racing community as almost having a Tiger Woods effect right now. Obviously a huge difference on so many levels, and not really comparable if you ask me, but I found it interesting.

If he enters a race somewhere, promoters are getting thousands more fans in attendance, dozens more car counts, added money, and there's a feeling over the whole place that you have to be dialed in and be the best you've ever been to have a chance, raising the competition to levels each venue has rarely seen.... and Larson usually still wins.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: June 07, 2021, 03:01:59 PM »
Was talking to a buddy at a dirt track last night, and he had a pretty interesting comparison.

He said he almost compares Larson in the racing community as almost having a Tiger Woods effect right now. Obviously a huge difference on so many levels, and not really comparable if you ask me, but I found it interesting.

If he enters a race somewhere, promoters are getting thousands more fans in attendance, dozens more car counts, added money, and there's a feeling over the whole place that you have to be dialed in and be the best you've ever been to have a chance, raising the competition to levels each venue has rarely seen.... and Larson usually still wins.

Your buddy almost certainly knows 100% more about small town dirt track racing more than I do. That being said I cannot wrap my head around the concept that Kyle Larson is having a bigger effect on racing, grassroots and up, than Tony Stewart did 20-10 years ago. The sport was bigger then and Tony was a bigger star in the sport. He was a star in the countries two biggest racing disciplines and he was still on dirt tracks during the week. He was the one that drew guys like Jimmy and Jeff to these events. Sportscenter was covering Tony Stewart winning at Eldora on a Wednesday then kicking ass on a Sunday. I hated the crap out of that dude, but he was a huge star with cross over appeal. Kyle Larson, very disappointingly, didn't have cross over appeal before his incident, and he sure as hell doesn't now. That's not to say that he won't get there, but he isn't yet. I think for motorheads what Kyle Larson is doing now is very cool, but I can't think he is even having a Fernando Tatis Jr. effect, much less a Tiger Woods one. 

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: June 07, 2021, 04:18:47 PM »

Your buddy almost certainly knows 100% more about small town dirt track racing more than I do. That being said I cannot wrap my head around the concept that Kyle Larson is having a bigger effect on racing, grassroots and up, than Tony Stewart did 20-10 years ago. The sport was bigger then and Tony was a bigger star in the sport. He was a star in the countries two biggest racing disciplines and he was still on dirt tracks during the week. He was the one that drew guys like Jimmy and Jeff to these events. Sportscenter was covering Tony Stewart winning at Eldora on a Wednesday then kicking ass on a Sunday. I hated the crap out of that dude, but he was a huge star with cross over appeal. Kyle Larson, very disappointingly, didn't have cross over appeal before his incident, and he sure as hell doesn't now. That's not to say that he won't get there, but he isn't yet. I think for motorheads what Kyle Larson is doing now is very cool, but I can't think he is even having a Fernando Tatis Jr. effect, much less a Tiger Woods one.

Oh, I 100% agree with you. His reference is more so about single events and what Larson does to them, not so much grassroots racing across the board.

One thing to note in what you're saying, racing is almost all PPV/subscription/stream based now (DirtVision, FloRacing, IMCA TV, MavTV, Racinboys, etc) and ESPN back in those days held multiple racing coverage contracts including USAC racing where Tony would stand out. ESPN was very supportive of racing across the board back then. CBS/CBS sports has made a few pushes in recent years as well.

Things that happen in racing circles today are typically only known w/ racing fans because I believe legally mainstream/sports media outlets cannot cover those PPV events/highlights besides maybe comments or social posts? Honestly not sure and could definitely be wrong, though.

**A side note because this post just made me think of it. FloRacing has a 24/7 stream and they show a lot of the old ESPN Saturday Night Thunder racing events and my god, the graphics and presentation are a real treat. Have enjoyed watching a lot of those, especially when Gordon or Stewart appear.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: June 07, 2021, 10:02:51 PM »

Oh, I 100% agree with you. His reference is more so about single events and what Larson does to them, not so much grassroots racing across the board.

One thing to note in what you're saying, racing is almost all PPV/subscription/stream based now (DirtVision, FloRacing, IMCA TV, MavTV, Racinboys, etc) and ESPN back in those days held multiple racing coverage contracts including USAC racing where Tony would stand out. ESPN was very supportive of racing across the board back then. CBS/CBS sports has made a few pushes in recent years as well.

Things that happen in racing circles today are typically only known w/ racing fans because I believe legally mainstream/sports media outlets cannot cover those PPV events/highlights besides maybe comments or social posts? Honestly not sure and could definitely be wrong, though.

**A side note because this post just made me think of it. FloRacing has a 24/7 stream and they show a lot of the old ESPN Saturday Night Thunder racing events and my god, the graphics and presentation are a real treat. Have enjoyed watching a lot of those, especially when Gordon or Stewart appear.

Oh man, Saturday Night Thunder :love:

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: June 14, 2021, 10:12:45 PM »
Larson wins the NASCAR All Star race in Texas last night, flies to Ohio for speedweeks and wins the All Star Circuit of Champions sprint car race tonight.

Pretty damn cool.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: June 21, 2021, 11:15:33 AM »
He's now won 9 of the 19 races he's been in over the last 5 weeks. (4 Cup, 4 sprint car, and 1 dirt late model).

Ran Top 10 in 9 of the 10 he didn't win.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
- chunkles

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: June 30, 2021, 09:43:21 PM »
Wonder who will take his spot in the booth.

Either way, Hendrick MS is just absurd right now.