Author Topic: crap you wish you knew more about  (Read 15636 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: crap you wish you knew more about
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2011, 11:08:26 AM »
 :party:

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2011, 11:33:03 AM »
can I be a special consultant?  like those guys on Pawn Stars (:love: bearded museum man)?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2011, 12:10:59 PM »
can I be a special consultant?  like those guys on Pawn Stars (:love: bearded museum man)?

yes, I'll be all, "Let's ask science guy" and you can say, "not aliens" and then we party  :emawkid:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2011, 12:16:28 PM »

yes, I'll be all, "Let's ask science guy" and you can say, "not aliens" and then we party  :emawkid:

Gonna have to find a way to pace yourself in this show.  Otherwise each show will last approx 5 min(including commercials) and your season will be over in one weekend.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2011, 12:18:26 PM »

Gonna have to find a way to pace yourself in this show.  Otherwise each show will last approx 5 min(including commercials) and your season will be over in one weekend.

More time to debunk n00bs and weirdos and party  :emawkid:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2011, 01:54:27 PM »

looks like steve dave just debunked the theory that a show has to be 30 mins long to be good.    :eek:

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2011, 01:55:23 PM »
podcasts are kinda amateur hour (think katkid, chingon, etc) but maybe just to get your feet wet.

also, i'll agree to be your guys producer if that's what you're asking.

When I said podcast I actually meant "big time live internet streaming show with high production value" - that's real debunking.

And we accept.  I would like to start by debunking the rumor that an Applebees is going in where Baja used to be.

gonna have to ask sd that, and then he can bring in our midtown real estate expert (me) and then we can try to debunk.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Poster formerly known as jthutch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2011, 03:44:34 PM »
The Pyramids (Egyptian, Mayan, etc.)  Also Stonehenge.  Area 52 and stuff.

Area 52 is the best thing mentioned in this thread.

whoaa...i'm intrigued now.

Also, Cold War Silo Bunkers.
Have a cousin who worked in one for several years.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2011, 08:19:26 AM »
Basically, I'd like to be able to help invent stuff like you read about in MIT Technology review:

http://www.technologyreview.com/energy/32267/?a=f

chings, or some other academic type?  How could I just join a team of these researchers without having anything but an engineering undergrad and make a decent living?

Thanks, I'll listen off the air.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
Re: cac you wish you knew more about
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2011, 09:24:41 AM »
Basically, I'd like to be able to help invent stuff like you read about in MIT Technology review:

chings, or some other academic type?  How could I just join a team of these researchers without having anything but an engineering undergrad and make a decent living?

Anymore no.  Most researchers these days that do cool stuff like that have their masters, if not more.  A lot of those teams consist of grad students that will do research for the lead scientists.  Also undergrad teaches too many basic principles to be able to apply to specific technologies. 

Most of the research assistants at K-State are grad students.  They get credit hours for doing research.  There are some undergrad students that do research, but at a completely different level of coolness.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2011, 09:33:59 AM »

Anymore no.  Most researchers these days that do cool stuff like that have their masters, if not more.  A lot of those teams consist of grad students that will do research for the lead scientists.  Also undergrad teaches too many basic principles to be able to apply to specific technologies. 

Most of the research assistants at K-State are grad students.  They get credit hours for doing research.  There are some undergrad students that do research, but at a completely different level of coolness.

could I just get a generic masters degree in engineering while I work and then join one of those awesome teams?

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
Re: cac you wish you knew more about
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2011, 09:52:12 AM »

chings, or some other academic type?  How could I just join a team of these researchers without having anything but an engineering undergrad and make a decent living?

Anymore no.  Most researchers these days that do cool stuff like that have their masters, if not more.  A lot of those teams consist of grad students that will do research for the lead scientists.  Also undergrad teaches too many basic principles to be able to apply to specific technologies.  

Most of the research assistants at K-State are grad students.  They get credit hours for doing research.  There are some undergrad students that do research, but at a completely different level of coolness.

could I just get a generic masters degree in engineering while I work and then join one of those awesome teams?

You will need to get a masters degree in a specialized engineering curriculum (Electrical, Computer, etc) and then you will be hired as a research assistant based upon your expertise.  Some research spots may not be as technically specific and will just require a masters degree in Electrical and/or Computer Engineering, and others will be very specific like (Master in Electrical Engineering with a concentration in controls, acoustics, radio waves, etc...)

But yea you can't really get a general master in Engineering and expect to get on a cool team like that.   You need to know your cac.

Example:  K-State Electrical Engineering Professor designed some components that went on the Mars Rover.  He didn't design the entire thing, but he designed parts of it.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2011, 09:57:59 AM »
Rusty, let's start our own elite team of researchers

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2011, 09:58:49 AM »

AGREED. this system sounds rigged.  Let's flip the rough rider upside down.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2011, 10:03:11 AM »
I think the role of a researcher on any project is being romanticized a little here, similar to the way that being a crime scene investigator has been through the popular tv show CSI(not the crappy miami one either).

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2011, 10:11:20 AM »
I think the role of a researcher on any project is being romanticized a little here, similar to the way that being a crime scene investigator has been through the popular tv show CSI(not the crappy miami one either).

yeah, probably. I should be an antique roadshow appraiser instead.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2011, 10:13:42 AM »

yeah, probably. I should be an antique roadshow appraiser instead.

Tivo Season Pass!!!

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2011, 10:28:04 AM »
Currency Exchange markets

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2011, 10:40:18 AM »

depends on what you consider a decent li

AGREED. this system sounds rigged.  Let's flip the rough rider upside down.
I'm in.   

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2011, 10:41:44 AM »
What is the first thing we are going to research and invent or whatever?  I vote for some sort of airline/hotel miles thing. 

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2011, 11:02:34 AM »
What is the first thing we are going to research and invent or whatever?  I vote for some sort of airline/hotel miles thing. 
hover cars

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2011, 11:05:49 AM »
hover cars

^Kevin Smith short about flying cars....if anyone on here has ever heard of him (doubtful)

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2011, 11:06:54 AM »
low level EMP blaster similar to what was used on Michael Bishop in 98 to cause that fumble.  Just think of the basketball turnovers you could cause.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2011, 12:36:54 PM »
^Kevin Smith short about flying cars....if anyone on here has ever heard of him (doubtful)

Dude, this is the rough ridin' combo-fanning board.  This crap is real.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2011, 12:39:37 PM »
Hey, you damn nerds- quit nerding up my thread!!