Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 538790 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2010, 08:21:24 AM »
I'm still basically only worried about how big it will be in my pocket

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 20, 2010, 09:02:40 AM »
I do think its stupid how Sprint does their release and makes you wait months, but whatever.

all carriers do it you just don't hear about it as much with the everyday devices, it's the iconic ones that get the most hype built and why you feel like you're being made to wait for it... it's been no secret for months that the fourth version of the iphone will launch in June.

and believe me, sprint wants this to launch asap but it takes a ton of work from the manufacturer to build it to carrier specs, then for them to build up the inventory needed by the carrier, then for the carrier to tweak, load and test the software on all the devices the manufacturer delivered, exactly how it wants it to operate. and that's just the hardware/software of the device, no mention of all the training of the sales reps, development of commercials/marketing strategy, training of care reps, pricing models, etc.... the development cycle on these things is measured in years, not months.  it's a very complex  process.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2010, 09:03:40 AM »
I'm still basically only worried about how big it will be in my pocket
me too, big time...LMFAO :lol: 

i'm scared that big ass screen will crack in my pocket.  LIZ-AME!

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 20, 2010, 09:06:43 AM »
I do think its stupid how Sprint does their release and makes you wait months, but whatever.

all carriers do it you just don't hear about it as much with the everyday devices, it's the iconic ones that get the most hype built and why you feel like you're being made to wait for it... it's been no secret for months that the fourth version of the iphone will launch in June.

and believe me, sprint wants this to launch asap but it takes a ton of work from the manufacturer to build it to carrier specs, then for them to build up the inventory needed by the carrier, then for the carrier to tweak, load and test the software on all the devices the manufacturer delivered, exactly how it wants it to operate. and that's just the hardware/software of the device, no mention of all the training of the sales reps, development of commercials/marketing strategy, training of care reps, pricing models, etc.... the development cycle on these things is measured in years, not months.  it's a very complex  process.

That makes sense.  I was just comparing to how Verizon released the Incredible to how Sprint did the EVO.  Verizon just used a different approach with keeping everything secret (with some leaks) then doing their official announcement just a few weeks from the release date.  Neither is better/worse, just interesting how they did it different.  Apple seems to be doing a similar approach with the new Iphone, they just had the drunk employee leave his at a bar to spoil it, but they are much better at not leaking info.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 20, 2010, 09:16:10 AM »

and believe me, sprint wants this to launch asap but it takes a ton of work from the manufacturer to build it to carrier specs, then for them to build up the inventory needed by the carrier, then for the carrier to tweak, load and test the software on all the devices the manufacturer delivered, exactly how it wants it to operate. and that's just the hardware/software of the device, no mention of all the training of the sales reps, development of commercials/marketing strategy, training of care reps, pricing models, etc.... the development cycle on these things is measured in years, not months.  it's a very complex  process.

That makes sense.  I was just comparing to how Verizon released the Incredible to how Sprint did the EVO.  Verizon just used a different approach with keeping everything secret (with some leaks) then doing their official announcement just a few weeks from the release date.  Neither is better/worse, just interesting how they did it different.  Apple seems to be doing a similar approach with the new Iphone, they just had the drunk employee leave his at a bar to spoil it, but they are much better at not leaking info.
verizon has several android devices on the market when they launched the incredible.  it's launch was HTC saying "here's the phone you asked for" and Verizon slapping a price tag on it. 

there has never been a 4G phone launch, ever.  i think that's the difference.  the only other launch i can think of that's gone similar to this was the Pre and that too was a whole new deal with WebOS hitting the streets for the first time; again, another first.  maybe if verizon had a 4G network to launch a device on, we could see how they would handle things differently.   :cool:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 20, 2010, 09:19:07 AM »
verizon has several android devices on the market when they launched the incredible.  it's launch was HTC saying "here's the phone you asked for" and Verizon slapping a price tag on it. 

there has never been a 4G phone launch, ever.  i think that's the difference.  the only other launch i can think of that's gone similar to this was the Pre and that too was a whole new deal with WebOS hitting the streets for the first time; again, another first.  maybe if verizon had a 4G network to launch a device on, we could see how they would handle things differently.   :cool:

Touche. :)

Good points.  Verizon did make a big deal out of the Moto Droid too.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 20, 2010, 10:36:22 AM »
And plan on buying an extended battery unless you want to keep it on the charger a lot, the amount of stuff these things can do drains the ones they come with extremely quickly.  I'm trying to decide between an extended 1750 (over the 1300 that comes with the phone) that still fits in the current case or one of the bigger ones (2150) that requires a bigger back and makes the phone quite a bit fatter. 

We know what you're thinking, though: what about battery life? Amazingly, we got some three hours and 13 minutes of run time while using the EVO continuously as a 4G hotspot -- and when we say "continuously," we mean we were streaming high-quality audio the entire time. What's more, the phone wasn't even fresh off the charger when we started; it had been on and in heavy use for two hours and four minutes prior. Bottom line, this thing seems to be a champion on a 1500mAh battery; we can't even begin to fathom what a massive aftermarket pack would do to it.

:surprised:

Impressive.

the battery life was my biggest concern as well- you've got 3 radios on it running simultaneously, a HD camera, etc, etc, etc but I've heard good things about the battery, which surprised me.  we'll see in about a month.
this crap was covered already folks

Sigh....

The Evo makes it through a day without charging, easy.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 20, 2010, 10:37:26 AM »
Its fun to read these reviews if you are looking forward to getting the phone, I enjoyed all the Incredible ones.  

And it looks like the EVO may have similar battery life issues to the Incredible.

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20100519/sprint-4g-phone-hits-new-speeds-but-battery-lags/?mod=ATD_rss

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 20, 2010, 10:39:44 AM »
Its fun to read these reviews if you are looking forward to getting the phone, I enjoyed all the Incredible ones.  

And it looks like the EVO may have similar battery life issues to the Incredible.

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20100519/sprint-4g-phone-hits-new-speeds-but-battery-lags/?mod=ATD_rss

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 20, 2010, 10:47:05 AM »
We are still conducting our battery drain tests, but with moderate use and a 4G connection, the smartphone was able to last about 12 hours before needing a recharge.

:dunno:  Not bad

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 20, 2010, 10:53:06 AM »
And plan on buying an extended battery unless you want to keep it on the charger a lot, the amount of stuff these things can do drains the ones they come with extremely quickly.  I'm trying to decide between an extended 1750 (over the 1300 that comes with the phone) that still fits in the current case or one of the bigger ones (2150) that requires a bigger back and makes the phone quite a bit fatter. 

We know what you're thinking, though: what about battery life? Amazingly, we got some three hours and 13 minutes of run time while using the EVO continuously as a 4G hotspot -- and when we say "continuously," we mean we were streaming high-quality audio the entire time. What's more, the phone wasn't even fresh off the charger when we started; it had been on and in heavy use for two hours and four minutes prior. Bottom line, this thing seems to be a champion on a 1500mAh battery; we can't even begin to fathom what a massive aftermarket pack would do to it.

Impressive.

the battery life was my biggest concern as well- you've got 3 radios on it running simultaneously, a HD camera, etc, etc, etc but I've heard good things about the battery, which surprised me.  we'll see in about a month.
this crap was covered already folks

Sigh....

The Evo makes it through a day without charging, easy.

yeah, both of you guys were nowhere close to saying what engadget said.  thx, bi.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 20, 2010, 10:59:50 AM »
The battery life is going to vary b/c everyone will use their phone differently.  When you first get it you will be messing with it all the time.  And "moderate use" can mean a lot of things to lots of people.

But the fact is this; HTC/Google/Android is now making great devices with a very good OS.  Incredible is Verizon's best phone and EVO will be Sprint's best phone.  But they aren't perfect, and like I said originally, I really think the battery tech (or at least the batteries they put in phones to keep costs at $200) is not caught up with the capabilities of the phones.  But users are going to have to figure out which features/apps drain power and monitor those. 

It doesn't hurt to have an extra charger around that you can buy for $15 and while it might lower life a bit, it doesn't hurt to stick them on the charger at times during the day.

Offline bonercat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 20, 2010, 12:45:25 PM »
The battery life is going to vary b/c everyone will use their phone differently.  When you first get it you will be messing with it all the time.  And "moderate use" can mean a lot of things to lots of people.

Amen. This aint a phone you can just give to someone who doesn't know a little bit about technology and walk away. There's a learning curve involved, but once you learn the ins and outs, its amazing stuff.
[

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 20, 2010, 01:27:50 PM »
Incredible is Verizon's best phone and EVO will be Sprint's best phone is the best phone on any carrier.

:users:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 20, 2010, 01:30:11 PM »
kougs is an apple fanboy only for sprint.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 20, 2010, 01:35:46 PM »
kougs is an apple fanboy only for sprint.

In my best interests. :dunno:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 20, 2010, 02:27:50 PM »
Android 2.2 Froyo announced.

Looks very nice; and good news for new EVO/Incredible owners...

As for device availability? We expect Froyo will be available for a couple of “pure” Android devices, starting out, such as the Nexus One and Motorola Droid, but HTC has noted that you most likely will be getting Android 2.2 if your phone was made in 2010 (sorry, Droid Eris users, you just missed the bill).

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 20, 2010, 02:42:52 PM »
Android 2.2 Froyo announced.

Looks very nice; and good news for new EVO/Incredible owners...

As for device availability? We expect Froyo will be available for a couple of “pure” Android devices, starting out, such as the Nexus One and Motorola Droid, but HTC has noted that you most likely will be getting Android 2.2 if your phone was made in 2010 (sorry, Droid Eris users, you just missed the bill).

Nice.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 25, 2010, 08:33:08 AM »
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Adobe-Flash-Player-101-Debuts-on-Google-Android-22-498094/?kc=EWKNLEDP05252010A

Adobe sent tech reviewers a Nexus One loaded with a prerelease version of Google Android 2.2 and Flash Player 10.1 to demonstrate its latest effort at providing a desktop-style Web browsing experience on smartphones. While Flash 10.1 is optimized for high performance on mobile devices and leverages smartphone hardware capabilities such as the accelerometer, Adobe cautioned reviewers that some bugs will be present in the build. Flash Player 10.1 indeed allows Web animations and movies to run smoothly, after some longer-than-expected load times. Slated for general release June 17, Adobe expects this newest version will allow it to push back against Apple, which has shunned Flash on popular mobile devices such as the iPad and iPhone. For Google, the prospect of offering a smartphone OS capable of running nearly the entirety of the Web’s rich content must also be appealing.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 25, 2010, 02:00:53 PM »
I've used flash on phones for a while now. I don't see the big deal.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 25, 2010, 03:07:16 PM »

10.1 + obligatory shot at Apple.  it's no bigger deal than that.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 28, 2010, 08:47:06 AM »

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 28, 2010, 09:10:08 AM »

10.1 + obligatory shot at Apple.  it's no bigger deal than that.

Yeah. Just by having that feature, they put themselves a leg up over the current iphone. the best part is they dont need to advertise it. they have Adobe for that.

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 01, 2010, 11:02:29 AM »
4G is live in parts of KC as of today.  To whomever asked about Spring Hill, Gardner, DeSoto...still a question mark.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/31/1983531/sprint-launching-4g-wireless-service.html

Will see if my dual mode card can find it in NW olathe later tonight