Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 539055 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2010, 01:19:15 PM »
my BB Tour bugs me, the EVO will too. not worried about it.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2010, 02:01:35 PM »
it's big.  i don't know how much i'm going to like jamming the thing into my pocket when i'm out and about.  that's what she said.

I think this is legit.  The Incredible is pretty big 3.7, I bet the EVO will seem enormous at 4.3. 

But that said, it does look like a really great phone. 

My touch pro 2 is 3.8 and is pretty thick with the slide out keyboard. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even notice a thinner 4.3".

And the Droid OS is great.  Wasn't sure how I'd like it compared to WinMo, but now I'll never go back to that.

If I wasn't into tweaking and modding my phone, I'm pretty sure I'd hate Winmo. Although I just got the Winmo 6.5 update with HTC's Sense 2.5 and it's a massive step up. They also just released a new Bing app with turn by turn navigation with voice and all.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2010, 02:02:16 PM »
my BB Tour bugs me, the EVO will too. not worried about it.

Yeah, definitely falls under the "personal preference" category. I actually thought the Evo was less noticeable in my pocket than my Hero.

Offline steaksdime

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2010, 02:06:30 PM »
Any word on what "Kansas City" constitutes as far as 4G coverage? I assume JoCo such as Olathe, OP, Lenexa, Leawood. But Spring Hill? Gardner? DeSoto?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2010, 11:29:01 AM »
they just released a samsung kid phone wherein the packaging allows you to easily return your existing phone for sprint account credit, regardless of carrier.  they may be trying to do the same w/the evo packaging.  dan hesse def has some tree hugger in him (besides the obvious ploy to get people to trade in iphones)

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2010, 11:17:44 AM »

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2010, 01:28:23 PM »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2010, 08:08:20 AM »
However, the Sprint Hero's are getting an upgrade in the android software soon (I think by the end of May) that is supposed to really reduce the lag and improve the phone's performance.

Android 2.1 for Hero should be available tomorrow.

If this is correct you are my new favorite person for a month.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline bonercat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2010, 03:33:57 PM »
downloading it now. TAKING FOREVER though.
[

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2010, 04:08:50 PM »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2010, 05:19:51 PM »

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2010, 06:47:15 PM »
WHEN WILL VIRGIN MOBILE GET AN ANDROID PHONE

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-phone-plans/beyond-talk-plans.html
soon!

I heard there is no roaming on this plan. Not really a deal breaker, but something worth noting. Also, what Android phones?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2010, 06:59:56 PM »
not sure on either.  is needing to roam that big of a deal anymore?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2010, 07:08:01 PM »

looking at the map, I wouldn't be able to use it when I would be at my parents' house in BFE KS without roaming.  But for $35/month for unlimited text and data and android it would be worth it.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2010, 07:24:14 PM »

looking at the map, I wouldn't be able to use it when I would be at my parents' house in BFE KS without roaming.  But for $35/month for unlimited text and data and android it would be worth it.
ya, those 2 days a year at mom and pops house would be brutal without a cell phone  :jerk:  

now that i had a second to think about it, my guess is it doesn't include any type of roaming, the costs of roaming to sprint from other carriers would be too high.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2010, 11:52:07 PM »

I could only think of when I'm up in the mountains hiking and skiing. That's still iffy.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2010, 07:13:40 AM »
And plan on buying an extended battery unless you want to keep it on the charger a lot, the amount of stuff these things can do drains the ones they come with extremely quickly.  I'm trying to decide between an extended 1750 (over the 1300 that comes with the phone) that still fits in the current case or one of the bigger ones (2150) that requires a bigger back and makes the phone quite a bit fatter.  

We know what you're thinking, though: what about battery life? Amazingly, we got some three hours and 13 minutes of run time while using the EVO continuously as a 4G hotspot -- and when we say "continuously," we mean we were streaming high-quality audio the entire time. What's more, the phone wasn't even fresh off the charger when we started; it had been on and in heavy use for two hours and four minutes prior. Bottom line, this thing seems to be a champion on a 1500mAh battery; we can't even begin to fathom what a massive aftermarket pack would do to it.

:surprised:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 20, 2010, 07:24:08 AM »
And plan on buying an extended battery unless you want to keep it on the charger a lot, the amount of stuff these things can do drains the ones they come with extremely quickly.  I'm trying to decide between an extended 1750 (over the 1300 that comes with the phone) that still fits in the current case or one of the bigger ones (2150) that requires a bigger back and makes the phone quite a bit fatter. 

We know what you're thinking, though: what about battery life? Amazingly, we got some three hours and 13 minutes of run time while using the EVO continuously as a 4G hotspot -- and when we say "continuously," we mean we were streaming high-quality audio the entire time. What's more, the phone wasn't even fresh off the charger when we started; it had been on and in heavy use for two hours and four minutes prior. Bottom line, this thing seems to be a champion on a 1500mAh battery; we can't even begin to fathom what a massive aftermarket pack would do to it.

Impressive.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2010, 07:37:47 AM »
And plan on buying an extended battery unless you want to keep it on the charger a lot, the amount of stuff these things can do drains the ones they come with extremely quickly.  I'm trying to decide between an extended 1750 (over the 1300 that comes with the phone) that still fits in the current case or one of the bigger ones (2150) that requires a bigger back and makes the phone quite a bit fatter. 

Impressive.

the battery life was my biggest concern as well- you've got 3 radios on it running simultaneously, a HD camera, etc, etc, etc but I've heard good things about the battery, which surprised me.  we'll see in about a month.
this crap was covered already folks

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2010, 08:13:09 AM »

Impressive.

the battery life was my biggest concern as well- you've got 3 radios on it running simultaneously, a HD camera, etc, etc, etc but I've heard good things about the battery, which surprised me.  we'll see in about a month.
this crap was covered already folks

True.  I was just a bit surprised by that report, but looking at it I could also see that if the phone was just being used as a hotspot and not being used for other things during that time, it wouldn't use a ton of battery.  Like you said, using the apps, web, keeping GPS and 3G on, etc. are what really drains the battery and what you have to monitor.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2010, 08:14:54 AM »

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2010, 08:19:37 AM »

SD, its going to be a great phone.  Imagine cruising the real goEMAW site at near regular speed on your phone, its pretty elite, and much better than the crappy wap site. 

I do think its stupid how Sprint does their release and makes you wait months, but whatever.