Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 546173 times)

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1925 on: November 06, 2012, 08:10:40 PM »
I'm confused, haven't charging mats been out for a while now?  Why's everyone getting so bent out of shape about them all of a sudden?  I think they're cool but I haven't bothered to go out and buy one or anything. I do like the idea of just laying a couple phones on the mat, sure beats plugging them in.

I don't think anyone is getting bent out of shape
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: November 06, 2012, 08:59:32 PM »
I just never expected clams to be the one to be against a convenient technological advance.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1927 on: November 06, 2012, 09:06:10 PM »
I just never expected clams to be the one to be against a convenient technological advance.
oh man, plugging phone in, such a PITA.  we need a technological advance.

I'm not against it, I already said that dumbass, the point is that it takes literally half a second to plug my phone in. saving me the "trouble" is a gimmick

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: November 06, 2012, 09:10:51 PM »
i guess i just don't get it.  i mean, the charging pad is going to be in the same place as your cord would/could be. the difference between setting something on a designated charging pad, versus just plugging in the connector seems minimal, at best. 

and you're right, places like starbucks are already going down this path, and we all know how i feel about hanging out at coffee shops.

I think a stationary pad is less cluttery in addition to being quicker and less likely to damage your phone. But like I said, nothing any phone manufacturer adds is going to change your life.
LTE radios, Quad-band radios, mini-hdmi connector standardization, high resolution touch screens, expanded internal memory, faster more efficient cpu's, better operating systems ....there are a lot of things that improve the experience much more than wireless charging.  because its a gimmick.

none of those will change my life. at all.
i guess you didn't notice that I ignored your "life changing" straw man

Ha ha, it was a strawman you brought to the discussion.

And there are plenty of consumers who would be impacted more by wireless charging than anything you listed. I can see why they are important to you and wireless charging isn't, but that isn't enough reason to consider it a gimmick.

wireless broadband (LTE) has a much broader and bigger impact than being able to charge your phone by placing it on a special mat (which also needs to be plugged in) rather than just using a charge cable.  as does better, more efficient cpu's which allow users to use their phone longer and to do more complex tasks between charging, wirelessly or not.  high resolution screens allow users to use their phones for more things than previously, again, a bigger upside than using a powermat to charge their phone versus a usb charger.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1929 on: November 06, 2012, 09:20:24 PM »
i guess i just don't get it.  i mean, the charging pad is going to be in the same place as your cord would/could be. the difference between setting something on a designated charging pad, versus just plugging in the connector seems minimal, at best. 

and you're right, places like starbucks are already going down this path, and we all know how i feel about hanging out at coffee shops.

I think a stationary pad is less cluttery in addition to being quicker and less likely to damage your phone. But like I said, nothing any phone manufacturer adds is going to change your life.
LTE radios, Quad-band radios, mini-hdmi connector standardization, high resolution touch screens, expanded internal memory, faster more efficient cpu's, better operating systems ....there are a lot of things that improve the experience much more than wireless charging.  because its a gimmick.

And there are plenty of consumers who would be impacted more by wireless charging than anything you listed. I can see why they are important to you and wireless charging isn't, but that isn't enough reason to consider it a gimmick.

wireless broadband (LTE) has a much broader and bigger impact than being able to charge your phone by placing it on a special mat (which also needs to be plugged in) rather than just using a charge cable.  as does better, more efficient cpu's which allow users to use their phone longer and to do more complex tasks between charging, wirelessly or not.  high resolution screens allow users to use their phones for more things than previously, again, a bigger upside than using a powermat to charge their phone versus a usb charger.

Like I said, not all consumers will be impacted by those improvements the same way you will.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: November 06, 2012, 09:32:16 PM »

Like I said, not all consumers will be impacted by those improvements the same way you will.

users won't be impacted by faster phones?  what the eff?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1931 on: November 06, 2012, 09:33:37 PM »

They'll be impacted, it just won't be the most important thing for everyone.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1932 on: November 06, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »

so like people without hands will benefit from wireless charging b/c they won't have to worry about messing with the plug, they can just spit out their phone and hope it hits the charging mat

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: November 06, 2012, 10:00:47 PM »

so like people without hands will benefit from wireless charging b/c they won't have to worry about messing with the plug, they can just spit out their phone and hope it hits the charging mat

Okay clams, you win. Nice work.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1934 on: November 06, 2012, 10:11:35 PM »
I asked the question because I wanted to know what people thought of it. you and a few others gave your opinions, we're all winners tonight

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1936 on: November 07, 2012, 04:34:02 PM »
I would like to have the wireless charging but wouldn't pay a greater than   $3 premium for it

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: November 07, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
I would like to have the wireless charging but wouldn't pay a greater than   $3 premium for it

I'd probably pay $15-20 for it.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1938 on: November 07, 2012, 04:41:13 PM »
Well, now I'm intrigued

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1939 on: November 07, 2012, 04:42:18 PM »
I don't use my phone as an alarm but clams does call a lot at 3AM'ish, could be handy?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: November 07, 2012, 04:43:09 PM »
Well, now I'm intrigued

also I'd probably get up 8gb of internal storage. (which is usually what - a $50 upcharge?) But I don't think 8gb of storage is worth $50 because I don't like watching full-length movies.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: November 07, 2012, 04:44:07 PM »
I don't use my phone as an alarm but clams does call a lot at 3AM'ish, could be handy?

I picture you using one of those old fangled alarm clocks with the two bells on top and wearing full pajamas and even a nightcap and putting on slippers and a robe right after you roll out of bed at 6am.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1942 on: November 07, 2012, 04:46:03 PM »
The fact that you picture me like that makes me really happy. Wow!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: November 07, 2012, 04:47:09 PM »

you probably have bacon and eggs and orange juice and milk for breakfast, too. what a guy!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1944 on: November 07, 2012, 04:48:25 PM »
Man, I wish. I should!

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: November 08, 2012, 02:31:09 PM »

you probably have bacon and eggs and orange juice and milk for breakfast, too. what a guy!

While he reads the paper.  With reading glasses!

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: November 08, 2012, 02:36:36 PM »

mr and mrs dave at breakfast.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: November 08, 2012, 02:40:17 PM »

ha ha yep!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: November 13, 2012, 11:46:37 AM »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: November 13, 2012, 12:45:06 PM »