Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 546007 times)

Offline TheCatFanSpeaks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1700 on: September 14, 2012, 02:41:51 PM »
I just ordered two, and they will be here next Friday.  The whole process took like 5 minutes in between work and bbsing.  If they do arrive next Friday, I will say Sprint really rough ridin' nailed this one.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: September 14, 2012, 02:43:34 PM »
I just ordered two, and they will be here next Friday.  The whole process took like 5 minutes in between work and bbsing.  If they do arrive next Friday, I will say Sprint really rough ridin' nailed this one.

yeah, I was shocked how easy it was.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: September 14, 2012, 02:44:21 PM »

the question is if Samsung and HTC can file their patent infringement lawsuit and injunction fast enough.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: September 14, 2012, 02:46:21 PM »
Ordered mine from Apple site at 6am and have to wait 2 weeks. The nerds got up real early this time. Oh wells.

I didn't order mine from sprint until about 10AM this morning and it'll be here friday.

Yeah but, then you have to use Sprint. Jk, I am sure they are just as good/terrible as AT&T.

Better plans than ATT but you cant fracking talk and data at the same time on Sprint, unlike ATT.

I am still rocking unlimited data on a grandfathered family plan. Still pretty good deal, way faster 3G, and while you losers have to hang up on your moms to surf, I'll be chatting away watching cat YouTube videos like a boss.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: September 14, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »

the question is if Samsung and HTC can file their patent infringement lawsuit and injunction fast enough.

it won't matter.  apple has +400 4G LTE patents, of the ~3,000 of them.  samsung has 800.  this is just posturing on samsung's part.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1705 on: September 14, 2012, 03:04:47 PM »

Better plans than ATT but you cant fracking talk and data at the same time on Sprint, unlike ATT.
I can talk and data at the same time on my s3, and my kit_mit_bro can on his evo4glte.
I'm sure the 5 will be able to do it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: September 14, 2012, 03:12:08 PM »
How does the Sprint International data plan work?  I don't want voice or text, just data. can I shut off the other two so I'm not receiving any texts?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1707 on: September 14, 2012, 03:15:06 PM »

I can talk and data at the same time on my s3, and my kit_mit_bro can on his evo4glte.

I can on my old EVO 4G too. What I am telling you is, you will NOT be able to on your Sprint iPhone5.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57512635-37/verizon-sprint-iphone-5-cant-do-voice-plus-data-on-4g-lte/

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1708 on: September 14, 2012, 03:49:40 PM »

I can on my old EVO 4G too. What I am telling you is, you will NOT be able to on your Sprint iPhone5.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57512635-37/verizon-sprint-iphone-5-cant-do-voice-plus-data-on-4g-lte/
Oh, well, sucks to be those guys. I think I've used it once when not on Wi-Fi, and that was just too see if I could.  I think I'll stick with android phones and get the iPad mini.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: September 16, 2012, 12:28:21 AM »
How does the Sprint International data plan work?  I don't want voice or text, just data. can I shut off the other two so I'm not receiving any texts?

Sprint most likely has an agreement with international carriers to let you use their network. I haven't looked it up, but I doubt you can turn off voice and texts.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: September 16, 2012, 12:29:29 AM »
I'm somewhat excited for the Lumia 920. On paper it looks like a good phone, and I'm curious if Windows Phone 8 has grown up yet or not.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: September 17, 2012, 12:43:18 PM »
I honestly do not know, but I went with AT&T because my company said I wouldn't want Sprint for international travel. Either way, it is no big deal. You can always buy a phone and a plan when you get there for like $150 bucks. I know others that have done that. They have Orange stores on every corner.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: September 17, 2012, 01:18:06 PM »

you can't do that.  a good option would be to just buy a sim card in london at a phone store and have them put it  in for you.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: September 17, 2012, 01:19:01 PM »
you can do that with an iphone?

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: September 17, 2012, 01:20:54 PM »

you can do that with any compatible phone with a sim card.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: September 17, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »

ya.  they have to do it for you.  iphone 4s uses micro sim and requires a special tool.  should only take a 15 minute stop in a phone shop over there as opposed to using the sprint international data plan b/c it's very expensive.  flip side is that you will have a new number so if anyone tries to dial your us #, it won't go through.  flip side is then you just switch back to your old sim card when you come back.  flip side is that's kind of a PITA.  flip side is you save a lot of money.  best flip side is to just use free wifi from coffee shops etc and not screw with international data b/c too $$.  flip side is that you'll be way more elite than jokers who do the sim switch.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: September 17, 2012, 01:34:50 PM »
Forget my other answer, missed the "only want data" part.
Most of the iphones here in the US have the sim card all locked up. There is no way to remove it. Who is your carrier on your ipad? I buy a $30 international plan from AT&T for my ipad each time I go. It is good for a month.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: September 17, 2012, 01:36:14 PM »
Forget my other answer, missed the "only want data" part.
Most of the iphones here in the US have the sim card all locked up. There is no way to remove it. Who is your carrier on your ipad? I buy a $30 international plan from AT&T for my ipad each time I go. It is good for a month.

don't be a complete idiot.  this issue has been addressed by someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: September 17, 2012, 01:38:13 PM »
i will give dobbs the benefit of the doubt and just chalk this up to "this is part of his shtick"

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: September 17, 2012, 01:52:48 PM »
:users: <-- hemmy waiting on the Lumia 920 launch.

well, that makes one of you in the entire world

Its a better phone than the iphone 5 :dunno:

Why do you hate Apple so much?

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: September 17, 2012, 01:58:16 PM »
:users: <-- hemmy waiting on the Lumia 920 launch.

well, that makes one of you in the entire world

Its a better phone than the iphone 5 :dunno:

Why do you hate Apple so much?

the specs are just as good, if not better in some areas. But will the overall experience be better than Apple? doubt it.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: September 17, 2012, 01:58:35 PM »
i will give dobbs the benefit of the doubt and just chalk this up to "this is part of his shtick"

Was not a shtick, so I guess I am a complete idiot.

I can tell you that you may struggle to find a 'phone shop' that is willing to open up your phone and replace the SIM card. But I am sure that clams knows what he is talking about, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: September 17, 2012, 02:00:44 PM »
dobber, what's the London/Paris free wifi situation like?

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: September 17, 2012, 02:12:20 PM »
I am not the best person to ask. My travel is almost all business while I am there. So I am just at our offices or at the hotel when I am using the internet.

From what I know, Paris is pretty good for wifi and London is not as good as Paris. Again, that is based on limited personal experience. Maybe someone else has taken some holidays to EU and can answer that question far better than me.

Sorry I can't be of more help. You know nothing would please me more than to be able to offer elite advice with regards to EU travel.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: September 17, 2012, 02:12:58 PM »
http://www.wififreespot.com/europe.html

oh man dobs only kidding here bros, everyone is bros in the cell phone insider thread