Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 546189 times)

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1500 on: May 07, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »
I'll answer: everything is better than the evo in every way. hth

This shouldn't be surprising to anyone. You are comparing a 2 year old phone to one that was released in October. Yes, the iPhone 4 and 4s are better than the original Evo in every way.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: May 07, 2012, 06:15:52 PM »
attention other evo 4g users: Is your texting interface super ridiculously slow after the # of texts builds up? I'm on my 2nd evo and they both have done this. It's very frustrating.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: May 07, 2012, 08:23:19 PM »
attention other evo 4g users: Is your texting interface super ridiculously slow after the # of texts builds up? I'm on my 2nd evo and they both have done this. It's very frustrating.

purge your texts....   hth

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: May 07, 2012, 08:55:31 PM »

I'm still on my first EVO from August '10 and no, I've not had those problems and I haven't purged my texts either.  Are you using handcent?  If not you should.

Looks like I'm solo on the EVO LTE but I'm good with it.  I don't wear tight pants so the size of the phone is no issue, its always in my hands anyway. For as much as I stream video and slingbox I couldn't imagine a smaller screen.  I must have gotten lucky but other than a bloated battery that was replaced free of charge I haven't had an issue.  Also don't understand the battery issues, do you people spend that much time away from a power source?  Even while slinging at football and basketball games my phone hasn't died.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: May 07, 2012, 09:07:02 PM »

I'm still on my first EVO from August '10 and no, I've not had those problems and I haven't purged my texts either.  Are you using handcent?  If not you should.

Looks like I'm solo on the EVO LTE but I'm good with it.  I don't wear tight pants so the size of the phone is no issue, its always in my hands anyway. For as much as I stream video and slingbox I couldn't imagine a smaller screen.  I must have gotten lucky but other than a bloated battery that was replaced free of charge I haven't had an issue.  Also don't understand the battery issues, do you people spend that much time away from a power source?  Even while slinging at football and basketball games my phone hasn't died.

What do you mean by "you people?"  :dubious:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1505 on: May 07, 2012, 09:30:45 PM »

:thumbs:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: May 07, 2012, 09:53:57 PM »
it's a cell phone, it's not a tablet.  no, the screen size didn't bother me, i preferred it.  if i wanted to lug around a tablet phone i would have kept my evo and its shitty battery life. i browse goEMAW using tapatalk.  if i need to look something up online w/ my iphone, it works for the 30 seconds i'm doing so.  i much prefer the smaller form factor.
thanks for the review clams.  I'll have to check out tapatalk on the iphone.

Is the build quality better than the EVO? 

yes.

it really boils down to which mobile OS you feel more comfortable with.  computery guys (minus hemmy [microsoft]) seem to like android because they can customize it to their liking.  most people don't know how/care to customize their phones to the level that a rooted android device allow you to, or even a non-rooted device allows for.  there's a lot of people, like myself, who just want their phone to work- to do the things it's supposed to do, hassle free.  this is where iPhone excels but at the expense of having to operate within a tighter environment.  i suspect that most people probably benefit from the restrictions apple puts on the iphone but to the computery guys, it bugs them.

it seemed to me that android made a lot of promises but occasionally failed to deliver on them.  if there's an application, there's no doubt that it's available for iOS and there's no doubt it will work as intended.  this, along with the smaller form factor, the excellent build quality, and great battery life, made the decision for me.

i used to be pretty anti-iPhone but i'm not going to ignore the fact that for me, it's the best phone on the market, just to prove a point that i'm too cool for iPhone.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: May 07, 2012, 10:59:22 PM »
If you're on Sprint and not using Google Voice integration, you're crazy.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: May 08, 2012, 06:21:48 AM »
I don't really know what that that would do for me.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: May 08, 2012, 10:39:08 AM »

Same.  Cheaper international rates, but they still aren't the cheapest

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: May 08, 2012, 10:47:52 AM »
Oh, yeah, I don't really need that.  I'll probably go with the Evo 4g LTE.  Looks to be the better phone.  GSIII has more gimmicky features.  I do like the PIP video, though.  I kind of want to steer clear from Galaxy S phones since my Epic has done nothing but piss me off over the last year.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: May 08, 2012, 11:01:15 AM »
I'm getting the iPhone5 when it comes out. It will be my first smart-phone. I'm excited but also a little nervous. And tips from smart-phone veterans?  :crossfingers:

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: May 08, 2012, 11:55:02 AM »
I'm getting the iPhone5 when it comes out. It will be my first smart-phone. I'm excited but also a little nervous. And tips from smart-phone veterans?  :crossfingers:
I would get the iPhone5 if I had any idea when it was coming out, and it wasn't too long of a wait.

I suggest walking around in public places and asking Siri before completing any sort of task.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: May 08, 2012, 02:40:59 PM »
it's a cell phone, it's not a tablet.  no, the screen size didn't bother me, i preferred it.  if i wanted to lug around a tablet phone i would have kept my evo and its shitty battery life. i browse goEMAW using tapatalk.  if i need to look something up online w/ my iphone, it works for the 30 seconds i'm doing so.  i much prefer the smaller form factor.

yes.

it really boils down to which mobile OS you feel more comfortable with.  computery guys (minus hemmy [microsoft]) seem to like android because they can customize it to their liking.  most people don't know how/care to customize their phones to the level that a rooted android device allow you to, or even a non-rooted device allows for.  there's a lot of people, like myself, who just want their phone to work- to do the things it's supposed to do, hassle free.  this is where iPhone excels but at the expense of having to operate within a tighter environment.  i suspect that most people probably benefit from the restrictions apple puts on the iphone but to the computery guys, it bugs them.

it seemed to me that android made a lot of promises but occasionally failed to deliver on them.  if there's an application, there's no doubt that it's available for iOS and there's no doubt it will work as intended.  this, along with the smaller form factor, the excellent build quality, and great battery life, made the decision for me.

i used to be pretty anti-iPhone but i'm not going to ignore the fact that for me, it's the best phone on the market, just to prove a point that i'm too cool for iPhone.

I have an android phone.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: May 08, 2012, 04:05:10 PM »

Texts and voicemail in the cloud. You can get voicemail transcribed and emailed to you. Lots of good features. And you don't have to use the crappy default texting app.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: May 08, 2012, 04:07:48 PM »

if we stay on Sprint I'm getting an EVO LTE.    But the powers that be brought up possibly moving to Verizon yesterday.   What's the best phone on VZW for someone who likes the EVO?    I also have an HTC One sitting here to test drive from TMobile.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: May 08, 2012, 05:04:54 PM »

yes.

I have an android phone.

because there are no viable window's phones on the market.  that hasn't stopped you from continually defending the OS throughout the 61 pages of this thread.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: May 08, 2012, 10:02:15 PM »

if we stay on Sprint I'm getting an EVO LTE.    But the powers that be brought up possibly moving to Verizon yesterday.   What's the best phone on VZW for someone who likes the EVO?    I also have an HTC One sitting here to test drive from TMobile.

Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

I'm assuming you mean the One S for TMobile?

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: May 09, 2012, 12:00:06 AM »

yes.

I have an android phone.

because there are no viable window's phones on the market.  that hasn't stopped you from continually defending the OS throughout the 61 pages of this thread.

If I were to guess, there are fewer than 3 posts by me in this entire thread about windows phone. Also, the Lumia 900 is a great phone.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: May 09, 2012, 04:19:02 AM »

Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

I'm assuming you mean the One S for TMobile?
false
Droid Razr Maxx
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: May 09, 2012, 07:56:17 AM »

yes.

I have an android phone.

If I were to guess, there are fewer than 3 posts by me in this entire thread about windows phone. Also, the Lumia 900 is a great phone.

welp, that settles it.  looks like steve jobs caught another one.  hemmy, the apple fanboy has arrived.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: May 09, 2012, 12:18:46 PM »

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: May 09, 2012, 01:17:55 PM »
What's the best phone on VZW for someone who likes the EVO?
Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
false
Droid Razr Maxx
Gross. The Razr screen just not on par with the Nexus, and Motorola has always disappointed me when it came to android phones.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: May 09, 2012, 01:58:01 PM »
Motorola has always disappointed me when it came to android phones.

I like mine, but yeah, non-motorola'rs sometimes hate and karate chop them.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: May 09, 2012, 03:08:06 PM »

Texts and voicemail in the cloud. You can get voicemail transcribed and emailed to you. Lots of good features. And you don't have to use the crappy default texting app.

Not sure what the benefits of having texts and VMs in the cloud are, I'll chalk that up to being a noob.  Also my stock voicemail app transcribes and I hate it.  I have never used the stock texting app, as recommended several times, handcent is very good.  Glad it works for you, sounds like depending on what phone you have the benefits could widely vary.