Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 546304 times)

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1475 on: May 04, 2012, 10:32:37 PM »
The Evo 4g LTE has a smaller screen than the SIII, except when they were next to each other, the Evo looked bigger.  Not the screen, but the phone itself.  I don't like that.  I do like the HD voice when calling from evo 2 evo over LTE, but how often would that happen?  Battery is also smaller on the evo.  My upgrade is on 6/1, so it'll be a tough choice for me to hold out for the SIII when the nearly equal or better Evo is already out.

http://www.theverge.com/products/compare/5588/5473/5236

The GSIII is .08" taller and wider, but .01" thinner. GSIII does have a bigger screen, coming in at 4.8 compared to 4.7 on the EVO LTE. Battery is smaller on the EVO, and the GSIII also has a replaceable battery, if you are into that.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: May 05, 2012, 12:34:10 AM »
The Evo 4g LTE has a smaller screen than the SIII, except when they were next to each other, the Evo looked bigger.  Not the screen, but the phone itself.  I don't like that.  I do like the HD voice when calling from evo 2 evo over LTE, but how often would that happen?  Battery is also smaller on the evo.  My upgrade is on 6/1, so it'll be a tough choice for me to hold out for the SIII when the nearly equal or better Evo is already out.

The GSIII is .08" taller and wider, but .01" thinner. GSIII does have a bigger screen, coming in at 4.8 compared to 4.7 on the EVO LTE. Battery is smaller on the EVO, and the GSIII also has a replaceable battery, if you are into that.

have sprint and will stay with them. basically have a two year old evo and think it's fine. get an iPhone 4s or ride the evo out or get new evo or what?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1477 on: May 05, 2012, 10:16:09 AM »
iPhone 4s or wait for iphone5

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: May 05, 2012, 07:08:19 PM »
have sprint and will stay with them. basically have a two year old evo and think it's fine. get an iPhone 4s or ride the evo out or get new evo or what?

Have you ever used an iPhone/iOS? Does the Evo ever feel to big?

When are you eligible for upgrade? It's a trick question, because no matter what I would say wait for the iPhone5. The 4s is pretty well regarded as a mild refresh, so the new iPhone should be a sizable leap up from the 4s.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 07:10:15 PM by SwiftCat »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: May 05, 2012, 07:12:19 PM »

When are you eligible for upgrade?

evo does not feel too big. have never used an iPhone. two year contract just came up so i could get a new 4s for like $199 w/ new two year contract. i dunno, i mean the evo seems fine and i don't really have any complaints. maybe wait until the iphone5 or sooner if the evo breaks or something?  :dunno:

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: May 05, 2012, 07:39:38 PM »
I'm waiting to see what sprint does with the roll out of their LTE network.  Supposedly this summer in major cities.  If they (sprint) are really committed to not blowing chunks I would like to see what iphone 5/LTE/Sprint combo comes down the pike. 

Supposedly best buy has a skew floating in their system for an ipad LTE on sprint's network waiting for roll out.  I just really hope Sprint is turning the corner from being an awfully run company.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: May 06, 2012, 12:54:35 AM »

Thanks for that link, I was leaning EVO LTE but that settled it.  The only issue I have with my current EVO is the lack of internal space, that is obviously resolved.  Also I'm assuming this beats by Dre audio is just a marketing thing and has no real effect on the sound, right?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: May 06, 2012, 01:00:41 AM »

When are you eligible for upgrade? It's a trick question, because no matter what I would say wait for the iPhone5. The 4s is pretty well regarded as a mild refresh, so the new iPhone should be a sizable leap up from the 4s.

EVO doesn't feel big, I'd love it if it were bigger for slingboxing.

Honest question for iPhone users.  Does that phone do anything that a good Android phone can't?  I need to know why that phone costs so much more than any Android.  It feels like buying a 2013 Ford sedan for 35,000 when the 2013 chevrolet sedan is 22,000.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1483 on: May 06, 2012, 04:30:06 AM »
It doesn't require restarts, doesn't lock up, has better utility/app integration, is quicker changing between apps, it's just a better experience. I'm no apple fanboy, I don't own an iPad or apple computer, and I was skeptical about it a lot before test driving it. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: May 06, 2012, 10:46:38 AM »
It doesn't require restarts, doesn't lock up, has better utility/app integration, is quicker changing between apps, it's just a better experience. I'm no apple fanboy, I don't own an iPad or apple computer, and I was skeptical about it a lot before test driving it.

how long did it take you to get used to it? does the hilariously small screen size bother you?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: May 06, 2012, 10:50:51 AM »

Thanks for the explanation.  Those things did bother me about android, no doubt.  I will say since the last software update I haven't had to pop the battery once.  It has ran flawlessly.  My only gripe is there isn't a browser on the android system that doesn't have a glaring issue.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: May 06, 2012, 11:06:05 AM »
Also I'm assuming this beats by Dre audio is just a marketing thing and has no real effect on the sound, right?
Yes.
EVO doesn't feel big, I'd love it if it were bigger for slingboxing.

I think the Evo LTE will be a good phone for you.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: May 06, 2012, 11:14:42 AM »

Thanks for the explanation.  Those things did bother me about android, no doubt.  I will say since the last software update I haven't had to pop the battery once.  It has ran flawlessly.  My only gripe is there isn't a browser on the android system that doesn't have a glaring issue.

Yes, iPhone  has a much cleaner experience out of the box. If you want a phone that just works, the iPhone is a great. I will say that android is closing the gap though. If you haven't played with an Android phone in 2 years, I would suggest going to your local Sprint or Verizon store and playing with a Galaxy Nexus.

Also, another question about those switching from iOS to Android of vice versa. How many paid apps do you have? Does that make you hesitant to switch  if you will have to buy them all over again?

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: May 06, 2012, 02:07:27 PM »
Wait for Windows Phone 8.

True on all the other points, but the app switching thing is just Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!), sd.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: May 06, 2012, 08:01:22 PM »

True on all the other points, but the app switching thing is just Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!), sd.

Wow, just a few hours ago and having not read the board since this morning, I was watching Knicks/Heat w/MIR when a windows phone commercial came on and I made a hemmy joke.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: May 06, 2012, 08:16:03 PM »

Wow, just a few hours ago and having not read the board since this morning, I was watching Knicks/Heat w/MIR when a windows phone commercial came on and I made a hemmy joke.

I have been out of this thread for quite awhile....

I have been through the Palm years (Two Treos and a Pre), Android 4G with the EVO, and now a 4S Iphone. 

The Iphone is hands down the best electronic device I have ever owned.  No failures, no lockups, things just work.  It's fabulous.  I really wish that I would have dumped Sprint years ago and had gotten and Iphone.  I'm glad that Sprint has it now.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #1491 on: May 06, 2012, 10:28:27 PM »
Listen to Pete on this one. Really.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: May 07, 2012, 03:11:58 PM »

how long did it take you to get used to it? does the hilariously small screen size bother you?

I would like the evo and droidx converts opinion on this.  The few times I have browsed goEMAW on an iphone4 the screen seems about 30% too small.

longtime iphone users, is the do they hold up better? my droidX is quickly becoming a total pos; crappy battery life, lock ups, etc

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: May 07, 2012, 03:34:36 PM »
it's a cell phone, it's not a tablet.  no, the screen size didn't bother me, i preferred it.  if i wanted to lug around a tablet phone i would have kept my evo and its shitty battery life. i browse goEMAW using tapatalk.  if i need to look something up online w/ my iphone, it works for the 30 seconds i'm doing so.  i much prefer the smaller form factor.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: May 07, 2012, 03:39:11 PM »
I wouldn't be able to go to a smaller screen like that. Plus I like tinkering and trying different roms. "Lugging around" a half inch bigger screen is pretty dumb though.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: May 07, 2012, 03:44:22 PM »
I wouldn't be able to go to a smaller screen like that. Plus I like tinkering and trying different roms. "Lugging around" a half inch bigger screen is pretty dumb though.

i don't like anything in my pocket.  half an inch is a lot. that's what she said.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: May 07, 2012, 04:00:37 PM »
Could iOS be more boring and ugly? No.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: May 07, 2012, 04:51:48 PM »

i don't like anything in my pocket.  half an inch is a lot. that's what she said.

Phone holster?

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: May 07, 2012, 05:07:56 PM »
it's a cell phone, it's not a tablet.  no, the screen size didn't bother me, i preferred it.  if i wanted to lug around a tablet phone i would have kept my evo and its shitty battery life. i browse goEMAW using tapatalk.  if i need to look something up online w/ my iphone, it works for the 30 seconds i'm doing so.  i much prefer the smaller form factor.
thanks for the review clams.  I'll have to check out tapatalk on the iphone.

Is the build quality better than the EVO? 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: May 07, 2012, 05:37:28 PM »
thanks for the review clams.  I'll have to check out tapatalk on the iphone.

Is the build quality better than the EVO? 

I'll answer: everything is better than the evo in every way. hth