Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 546286 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #3725 on: September 14, 2023, 02:09:41 PM »
My only reasons (and they’re huge ones) to use iPhone are integrated face time and most importantly iMessage.

I wish Samsung developed something similar for Android, even if it had to be proprietary to just their devices. Sending a 15 second video that is so pixelated you can barely make out a face is crazy. Thats why I left android 3 or 4 years ago.

Pretty much same here. And you're absolutely right that they're huge ones.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: September 14, 2023, 02:16:11 PM »
I know I don't need to know any of that crap and apple just takes care of it for me.

I can see how this works for many people. Personally, I wish I had much more freedom and versatility than I do now (even at the cost of doing more work). The phone should be doing what I want it to do, not me doing what it wants me to do.

What kind of things do you like to have freedom and control over?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: September 14, 2023, 02:23:43 PM »
Yeah having to use snapchat to send video is def the biggest drawback imo. Sorry parents you can't ever see this video

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: September 14, 2023, 02:51:12 PM »
My only reasons (and they’re huge ones) to use iPhone are integrated face time and most importantly iMessage.

I wish Samsung developed something similar for Android, even if it had to be proprietary to just their devices. Sending a 15 second video that is so pixelated you can barely make out a face is crazy. Thats why I left android 3 or 4 years ago.

How is FaceTime different than Google Meet? It seems they work exactly the same. We're a split device family so we also use messenger which seems to have the very same functions as both facetime and meet.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: September 14, 2023, 02:53:32 PM »

How is FaceTime different than Google Meet? It seems they work exactly the same. We're a split device family so we also use messenger which seems to have the very same functions as both facetime and meet.

my parents use google meet and it works fine. doesn't really sink with my contacts as well but obviously my contacts are in an apple device/cloud. and the only people I call on it are my parents so not a big deal there. they prefer to facetime from their ipads though, probably because of the giant screens.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: September 14, 2023, 02:56:06 PM »
I know I don't need to know any of that crap and apple just takes care of it for me.

I can see how this works for many people. Personally, I wish I had much more freedom and versatility than I do now (even at the cost of doing more work). The phone should be doing what I want it to do, not me doing what it wants me to do.

Apple has definitely gotten better with improving the ability to customize your phone, they were behind Android for years when it comes to this but now you can do things like place apps in folders and pick your wallpaper and lock screen. One key customization piece that I believe that Android has that apple doesn't is a way to easily switch into developer mode that, among other things, allows you to add apps that aren't in the file Google Play Store.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: September 14, 2023, 03:21:01 PM »
My wife's family uses face time, but I'd rather just not have it as an option, honestly.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: September 14, 2023, 03:51:29 PM »

As a split device fam what do you use for your kids location and limiting screen time? 

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: September 14, 2023, 04:01:02 PM »
Wait, android keeping one out of group texts is considered a bad thing?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: September 14, 2023, 04:01:28 PM »
I think not having FaceTime is a bonus tbh

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3735 on: September 14, 2023, 04:20:55 PM »

But then you wouldn't be able to look at someones screen who is facetiming.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: September 14, 2023, 04:21:53 PM »

But then you wouldn't be able to look at someones screen who is facetiming.

Screen peeker!  :lol:

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: September 14, 2023, 06:55:01 PM »

They aren't necessarily different in function. The benefit of facetime is that it's integrated. You don't have to load a separate app, or more importantly ask somebody on iphone to load it. "Hey MIR, can you download Meet so we can video chat? Oh, you don't have a gmail account, well, theyre free. I'll wait while you create it. Cool, now just open the app, search your contacts, and start a chat." (better not forget that gmail password) While not a big deal, it's more of a pain then clicking on a contact and hitting the facetime button, or switching from a voice to video call on the spot.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: September 14, 2023, 06:59:02 PM »
I also find FaceTime calls unenjoyable, but when you have a 7 year old child they can be pretty important. Even more so when calling Grandparents that live multiple states away.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: September 14, 2023, 08:22:53 PM »

I think SD's example was auto photo backup. I rarely go with the default option on that stuff. I like to pick the software that suits me best.

I agree with MIR that Android used to be far superior to iOS for organization and optimization. And that iOS has improved. I'd add that Android has gotten worse at it.  :frown:

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: September 14, 2023, 09:27:08 PM »
(Insert joke about a lady with an Iphone complaining about her new BF having an android and the green texts etc etc)

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #3741 on: September 14, 2023, 10:34:42 PM »

I think SD's example was auto photo backup. I rarely go with the default option on that stuff. I like to pick the software that suits me best.

I agree with MIR that Android used to be far superior to iOS for organization and optimization. And that iOS has improved. I'd add that Android has gotten worse at it.  :frown:
Android 13 is highly customizable for organization. I'd say far superior to 11 and 12.

The only issues I had with Android over the years was when I was using a memory limited phone from a carrier with their bloatware. Once I started buying near native Moto direct, those problems vanished.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: September 14, 2023, 11:02:43 PM »

They aren't necessarily different in function. The benefit of facetime is that it's integrated. You don't have to load a separate app, or more importantly ask somebody on iphone to load it. "Hey MIR, can you download Meet so we can video chat? Oh, you don't have a gmail account, well, theyre free. I'll wait while you create it. Cool, now just open the app, search your contacts, and start a chat." (better not forget that gmail password) While not a big deal, it's more of a pain then clicking on a contact and hitting the facetime button, or switching from a voice to video call on the spot.

Meet is also Integrated in the standard phone app.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: September 14, 2023, 11:04:50 PM »

As a split device fam what do you use for your kids location and limiting screen time?

My wife did to whatever standard apple program there is but we recently changed to Life360. It doesn't work properly on my phone because I refuse to turn battery saver off.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: September 15, 2023, 02:23:43 AM »
i'll only buy purple iphones :combofan:

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: September 15, 2023, 10:13:28 AM »

Oh cool, I didn't realize that. What's the different between Duo, Hangout, and Meet? I think I was using Hangout a few years ago, but it was annoying for in-laws that didn't have gmail accounts.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: September 16, 2023, 09:47:03 AM »

Oh cool, I didn't realize that. What's the different between Duo, Hangout, and Meet? I think I was using Hangout a few years ago, but it was annoying for in-laws that didn't have gmail accounts.

Meet used to be Google's version of Zoom, hangout used to be Google's WhatsApp, Duo was their version of FaceTime. They essentially merged all three and now it's branded as meet.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: October 12, 2023, 03:53:07 PM »
I always buy applecare+ for all our phones and this week mrs. dave dropped her iphone into freakin' table rock lake and I put in a claim for it and all it took was loging into applecare, selecting her phone on there, adding a single sentence that said something like "my wife dropped her dang phone in the lake!" and they said "approved new phone on it's way now". pretty dang slick and easy. also I think her applecare+ was like pretty close to being expired on it and it rules bigly that it was not expired. go cats.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: October 12, 2023, 04:02:33 PM »
Go cats
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog