Author Topic: Cell Phone Insiders  (Read 538726 times)

Online SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Insiders
« Reply #500 on: August 27, 2010, 09:08:35 AM »
TuneSync allows you to sync ITunes with your phone.  Great but slow.

TuneSync's upside is it syncs wirelessly.  DoubleTwist lets you do wired syncs, and also transcodes music/video so that it will play on your phone, but is also really, really rough ridin' slow.

I use iSyncr, to sync my old smart playlists that I still can't get away from.  It's a wired sync, but is way, way faster than the other solutions I've found.

Online SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 27, 2010, 09:10:39 AM »
SleepFighter's Apps on the HTC Evo 4G

Phone: HTC Evo 4G
93 total, 87 free (93%), 6 paid (6%), 132MB total size, $16.82 total price

^
|
Every app I currently have installed.  List made via AppBrain, which is a no-brainer to get.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 27, 2010, 09:49:25 AM »
My flash keeps coming up in appbrain saying it needs to update but the update can never be found  :confused:

Online SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 27, 2010, 09:59:26 AM »
My flash keeps coming up in appbrain saying it needs to update but the update can never be found  :confused:

You mean on your computer or on android?

Online SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 27, 2010, 10:24:57 AM »
    Added my impressions for apps I like:

SleepFighter's Apps on the HTC Evo 4G

• iSyncr Ratings Widget - Works with iSyncr to allow you to put ratings made on the phone into iTunes
  • TabbedOut - Can be used in bars and restaraunts to pay tabs.  Mostly only in Dallas and Austin
  • iSyncr for PC - My favorite method for synching iTunes playlists to my phone
  • My Tracks - Shows you where your path when you go running, biking, etc.
  • ³ - Replacement music player.  Really good, I use this or MixZing.
  • AppBrain App Market - Makes finding/installing apps much easier, lets you do it from a browser.
  • Beautiful Widgets - Customizable clock/weather widgets.  One of the few things I've paid for, I really like it.
  • MixZing Media Player - Recommends music from your own music, plus music you don't own based on what you are listening to
  • SlideIT Soft Keyboard - decent swype clone
  • Dolphin Browser HD - really good browser, with tabs and stuff
  • Movies - shows movie showtimes/review and stuff
  • Zillow Real Estate real estate dealio
  • Shazam - music id
  • Google Chrome to Phone - Useful way to transfer what you're looking at on your computer to your phone
  • SwiftKey Keyboard Beta - Swype clone.  Kind of ugly, but it works
  • Awesome Drop (File Sync) - Lets you transfer files from a web browser to your phone
  • Fandango Movies - Buy movie tickets
  • JuiceDefender - battery saver - Does a good job of extending battery life.  Can kind of slow phone down when waking up
  • SportsTap - My favorite scoreboard app.
  • Gmote 2.0 - Lets you control stuff on your computer from your phone.  Useful if using a PC as a media player for your TV
  • Wheres My Droid - Send your phone a txt with a key phrase and it turns on the volume to max if in silent or vibrate so you can find your phone
  • ASTRO File Manager - Lets you see your directory structure
  • UniWar - Only game I like so far for Android.  Turn-based strategy thing.
  • Google Sky Map - Really cool
  • Google Voice - I love Google Voice.  Even more useful now that I can get free incoming/outgoing VOIP calls through gmail with my Google Voice number.
^
|
Every app I currently have installed.  List made via AppBrain, which is a no-brainer to get.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 27, 2010, 10:28:48 AM »
wow. i only have a couple. light racer is just like the light cycle level from the tron arcade game. best app out there, really.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 27, 2010, 10:39:53 AM »
which phone do you have chum

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 27, 2010, 10:41:56 AM »

android

Online SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 27, 2010, 10:42:56 AM »

android

Download the app for your phone, and visit the website from your computer. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 27, 2010, 10:45:38 AM »

android

I don't have the app that I know of.  Didn't flash 10.1 just came packaged with froyo with the HTC OTA update?  I mean, the app doesn't show up in my list of apps anyway.  But, appbrain shows that I have a flash 10.1 but there is an update i need to install and when I click it to install it says it can't find it.  weird.

Online SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: August 27, 2010, 10:55:12 AM »

android

I don't have the app that I know of.  Didn't flash 10.1 just came packaged with froyo with the HTC OTA update?  I mean, the app doesn't show up in my list of apps anyway.  But, appbrain shows that I have a flash 10.1 but there is an update i need to install and when I click it to install it says it can't find it.  weird.

Yeah, flash is still kind of hit or miss.  AppBrain is a free app, get it here:

and then use it instead of the Market app when you want to use the market.  You can then follow appbrain links when on your computer, choose things you want on your phone, then go into the app and sync to the things you've chosen to install. 

Online SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 27, 2010, 11:00:23 AM »
My flash keeps coming up in appbrain saying it needs to update but the update can never be found  :confused:

android

I don't have the app that I know of.  Didn't flash 10.1 just came packaged with froyo with the HTC OTA update?  I mean, the app doesn't show up in my list of apps anyway.  But, appbrain shows that I have a flash 10.1 but there is an update i need to install and when I click it to install it says it can't find it.  weird.

Just figured out what you mean, sorry for being momentarily Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).  Yes, some kind of bug with AppBrain and/or Flash.

EDIT: A little Googling shows that Flash has released an update but Sprint hasn't made it available, or something like that.

If you want you can go here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?tn7q3335ltf5aag

to get the latest Flash version, and install it.  Make sure that you have the "Install Non-Market Aps" switch checked in settings.  I just did it and it seems to work okay.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 11:12:13 AM by SleepFighter »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 27, 2010, 11:17:25 AM »
meh, I'll just wait for it....unless it does something good. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: August 27, 2010, 11:45:16 AM »
Verizon FINALLY is starting their OTA froyo update for the incredible today. 

:sigh:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: August 27, 2010, 12:15:47 PM »
which phone do you have chum

commtiva blaze. endorsed by nick lachey.

i would have sprint but i live in one of about thirty houses in my suburb of 60,000 with no service. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: August 27, 2010, 01:08:04 PM »
Was thinking about going to Verizon to get a fancy phone finally but saw in my last bill that Verizon 4G will be out soon.  Does that mean that current selections will be shitty soon?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 27, 2010, 01:33:31 PM »
Was thinking about going to Verizon to get a fancy phone finally but saw in my last bill that Verizon 4G will be out soon.  Does that mean that current selections will be shitty soon?

If you get a phone that has 4g from verizon you should be set.  I dont think they have any yet, but if they do, I would get them now as they can't really force you into a 4g data plan as sprint does.  4G is  only in some of the big cities and I wouldnt imagine it would be in ICT anytime soon.  KC is the only place in KS with Sprint 4G.  Some other Cell phone insiders may know better on some of this

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 27, 2010, 01:40:48 PM »

If you get a phone that has 4g from verizon you should be set.  I dont think they have any yet, but if they do, I would get them now as they can't really force you into a 4g data plan as sprint does.  4G is  only in some of the big cities and I wouldnt imagine it would be in ICT anytime soon.  KC is the only place in KS with Sprint 4G.  Some other Cell phone insiders may know better on some of this

Well the EVO is the first 4g phone, and that came out like over a year after 4g started showing up.  So it's doubtful that they'd release a 4g phone before 4g towers start showing up.  Also, it took like over a year for KC to get 4g once they started in other cities, so you're (probably) looking at a year and a half at least before you'd need a 4g phone.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 27, 2010, 01:42:01 PM »

Well the EVO is the first 4g phone, and that came out like over a year after 4g started showing up.  So it's doubtful that they'd release a 4g phone before 4g towers start showing up.  Also, it took like over a year for KC to get 4g once they started in other cities, so you're (probably) looking at a year and a half at least before you'd need a 4g phone.

:combofan:  <-- the "that make sense, thanks for your help" version, not the I don't know wtf you're talking about version

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 27, 2010, 01:47:18 PM »

:combofan:  <-- the "that make sense, thanks for your help" version, not the I don't know wtf you're talking about version
:cheers:

Online SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: August 27, 2010, 02:20:02 PM »
Verizon is testing LTE stuff in a few big cities already, and has been for a while.  I don't know how many cities will be covered at launch, or even when it will launch, but the "Kansas is way the eff down on the list" hypothesis is probably pretty solid.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: August 27, 2010, 02:50:14 PM »
Verizon is testing LTE stuff in a few big cities already, and has been for a while.  I don't know how many cities will be covered at launch, or even when it will launch, but the "Kansas is way the shazbot! down on the list" hypothesis is probably pretty solid.

Esp. since it took Sprint over a year to get KC involved and their HQ is in OP.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 27, 2010, 05:13:43 PM »

for trimreaper-
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/27/mysterious-verizon-bound-htc-handset-appears-mysteriously-on-the/#disqus_thread

i bet it's their first 4G handset but it's just a guess

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 27, 2010, 05:18:06 PM »

for trimreaper-
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/27/mysterious-verizon-bound-htc-handset-appears-mysteriously-on-the/#disqus_thread

i bet it's their first 4G handset but it's just a guess

Verizon EVO  :surprised:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 27, 2010, 06:19:02 PM »
Fennec alpha build is out.  May give it a whirl.  Wish google would just release chrome for phone already.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/m/alpha