Author Topic: hotels  (Read 6323 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: hotels
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2011, 05:26:45 PM »
Stayed in a hotel in MD that had the elite sleep number beds... unbelievable!!!

Crowne Plaza by chance?  A lot have sleep numbers

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2011, 05:28:14 PM »
Stayed in a hotel in MD that had the elite sleep number beds... unbelievable!!!

Crowne Plaza by chance?  A lot have sleep numbers

Hilton Garden Inns have their signature bed of some sort with adjustable firmness but I don't know what kind of bed it actually is.  Westin's and some Sheratons have the Westin Heavenly bed that's not adjustable but is pretty nice. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2011, 05:54:37 PM »
Here's the thing, most of the people I work with are either huge Marriott people, or huge Hilton people....it's very divisive when you are traveling in a group and want to have common arrangements.  I land in the middle.  I enjoy both a great deal.  I hate it when I have to stay in a brand outside of those two families.  However, I have had some very, very good Starwood experiences.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2011, 05:59:01 PM »
Here's the thing, most of the people I work with are either huge Marriott people, or huge Hilton people....it's very divisive when you are traveling in a group and want to have common arrangements.  I land in the middle.  I enjoy both a great deal.  I hate it when I have to stay in a brand outside of those two families.  However, I have had some very, very good Starwood experiences.

yeah, starwood is the best, for business though they just don't have the footprint.  They are much more of a vacation brand imo.  But, for work, Hilton, IHC and Marriott are the players.  They have the most locations and brands that go up and down the sliding scale of cost/niceness.  Once you choose one, you have to stick with it for status/points.  I chose Hilton right out of college and have stuck with it.  The only IHC property I really ever stay at is the one in Manhattan though I like a lot of their properties. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2011, 06:01:15 PM »

yeah, starwood is the best, for business though they just don't have the footprint.  They are much more of a vacation brand imo.  But, for work, Hilton, IHC and Marriott are the players.  They have the most locations and brands that go up and down the sliding scale of cost/niceness.  Once you choose one, you have to stick with it for status/points.  I chose Hilton right out of college and have stuck with it.  The only IHC property I really ever stay at is the one in Manhattan though I like a lot of their properties. 

That's the bitch of it for me...I have to basically go at the whim of my clients or partners when it comes to hotel selection.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2011, 06:02:06 PM »
I almost bailed on Hilton though when they devalued their points about a year ago.  Pissed me off like you wouldn't believe.  Basically every property went up in price (in reward points) by 25%.   :dubious:

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2011, 06:05:23 PM »

That's the bitch of it for me...I have to basically go at the whim of my clients or partners when it comes to hotel selection.

yeah, that sucks.  we have our own expedia style travel website through american express where the properties will say if they qualify for my company's travel program.   They are ranked 1-3 stars by the requirements they meet (I think the only requirement is price actually but they don't come out and say it) and I am supposed to choose one from category that has the most stars.  Luckily, most of hotels anywhere I go get 3 stars and I stay pretty much wherever I want.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2011, 06:05:51 PM »
i heard that if you get to the Hilton Diamond Club that you get to sex paris.  roll cats roll.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2011, 06:08:37 PM »
i heard that if you get to the Hilton Diamond Club that you get to sex paris.  roll cats roll.

fear the beard

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2011, 11:26:24 AM »

Yep, strictly Marriott for me and I get all  :chainsaw: if I am somewhere that I have to deviate.  The good thing about Marriott is that this rarely happens.  Even in the crap towns you can usually find a Fairfield which are crapty, but still Marriotts. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2011, 11:50:50 AM »
i love starwood. everything about them. just love it. i think maybe the website and how gosh darn nice and friendly it is makes me like their properties even more. plus that william guy on flyertalk. i mean holy cow they really know how to do it up right. hiltons and marriots and everywhere else are just like, gosh...why don't you guys try a little harder. i mean really.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2011, 12:36:53 PM »
Can't recall staying at a hotel I didn't enjoy.  (European hostels I stayed at as a poor college student are a different story.)  Like steve dave, one of my dream jobs would be travel writer.*

*I've realized SD is my total doppelganger on this page.  It's unsettling to me.

you and i both know the husband of a person who used to work for arthur frommers budget travel magazine. damn. missed oppy. she/they still live in new york but when i saw her two months ago she was freelancing now or something. i'll put you in touch if you're actually serious which you might not be.

Who?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2011, 01:47:31 PM »
i love starwood. everything about them. just love it. i think maybe the website and how gosh darn nice and friendly it is makes me like their properties even more. plus that william guy on flyertalk. i mean holy cow they really know how to do it up right. hiltons and marriots and everywhere else are just like, gosh...why don't you guys try a little harder. i mean really.

this is a good summarization